Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 01:46 PM CDT
Some cleric titles make use of stealing and vocals, which are both changing. Stealing it looks like will be a prohibited skill, so will Clerics be unable to gain the Goshawk title? What about clerics WITH stealing currently with that title? Same with Deific Voice/Hymnist titles? Those use the vocal skill which will be no longer exist. Everyone loves training vocals since it's so easy to do and can pick up some extra TDPs on the way, but not all the guilds have an actual use for that skill. I am training it up because I want the title associated with high vocals though. What will happen there?
Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 01:52 PM CDT
I believe prohibited skill means the skill(s) can't be used in your guild requirements to gain circles. I don't believe it means you're forbidden to have the skill or use the skill for the purposes of (stealing) or (singing) or (titles). But that's just my thoughts.

Zozuskar says, "You're a sneaky little beard."
Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 01:54 PM CDT
Ah, well that would make sense then. I thought it would be like how non-traders can't learn the trading skill or astronomy or empathy et al.
Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 01:55 PM CDT
>>Ah, well that would make sense then. I thought it would be like how non-traders can't learn the trading skill or astronomy or empathy et al.

Don't take my word(s) for it. I'm just giving an opinion. :-) However, yeah, it makes sense.

Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 02:04 PM CDT
I should add, of course, I haven't the slightest clue how they'll handle titles that have vocals attached as a prerequisite since that skill is going away, but that probably went without saying. I guess we'll see when we see. :-P

Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 02:41 PM CDT
I would assume Vocals will be replaced with Performing since that'll be the skill that governs musical ability, or the titles will be pulled.

<<I believe prohibited skill means the skill(s) can't be used in your guild requirements to gain circles.>>
That is what's mentioned in this post, under point 3.
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:New_Skill_Reqs_-_Basic_Info_For_Everyone_-_03/15/2012_-_19:56

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 02:59 PM CDT
>> I would assume Vocals will be replaced with Performing since that'll be the skill that governs musical ability, or the titles will be pulled.

Most likely, but the vocals skill everyone has is being dissolved into bonus lore bits; so if you had the title, and haven't trained other instruments, you lose the title.
Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 03:08 PM CDT
>> I would assume Vocals will be replaced with Performing since that'll be the skill that governs musical ability, or the titles will be pulled.

I am so very glad I was one of the few, I believe, to not train vocals with all the humming. - Vocals: 40 76% clear (0/34) -
- Percussions: 96 52% clear (0/34) - And just as a measure. - Scholarship: 770 06% clear (0/34) -

Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 03:53 PM CDT
Prohibited skill indeed means you simply cannot use Stealing as one of your survival requirements to circle, not that you cannot learn in.
Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 04:04 PM CDT
>>Prohibited skill indeed means you simply cannot use Stealing as one of your survival requirements to circle, not that you cannot learn in.

Just to build upon this, outside of each guild's "this is the guild's special skill," I don't think 3.0 even has any skills that no one is allowed to learn ever. As far as I understand it, even Paladins will be allowed learn thievery and still circle, which is a rather notable shift from the current stage of how Paladins and stealing don't get along at all.

"hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down." - GERSTEINJ2

Chatter[Gonifa] whatever, scripto-gnome.
Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 04:07 PM CDT
>>Just to build upon this, outside of each guild's "this is the guild's special skill," I don't think 3.0 even has any skills that no one is allowed to learn ever. As far as I understand it, even Paladins will be allowed learn thievery and still circle, which is a rather notable shift from the current stage of how Paladins and stealing don't get along at all.

Barbarians and certain flavors of magic (Attunement, Target, Arcana, Sorcery). Exact details are sketchy (I'm not sure if they will prohibit circling), but knowing them (or practicing them, or whatever) will be A Bad Thing if you intend to do Barbarian stuff like dance and berserk.
Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 04:22 PM CDT
>>Barbarians and certain flavors of magic (Attunement, Target, Arcana, Sorcery).

I think they're allowed to learn them, it's just that they have no real purpose for guild-focused stuff, right?

>>Exact details are sketchy (I'm not sure if they will prohibit circling), but knowing them (or practicing them, or whatever) will be A Bad Thing if you intend to do Barbarian stuff like dance and berserk.

Yeah; I should clarify that I'm really just talking about circling. There might be other Bad Things (tm) that take place if you know about X, but as far as I'm aware there are no situations where if you choose to learn something, it will be at the detriment of ever being able to circle ever again (like Paladins).

"hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down." - GERSTEINJ2

Chatter[Gonifa] whatever, scripto-gnome.
Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 04:23 PM CDT

I am so very glad I was one of the few, I believe, to not train vocals with all the humming. - Vocals: 40 76% clear (0/34) -
- Percussions: 96 52% clear (0/34) - And just as a measure. - Scholarship: 770 06% clear (0/34) -

I think it is a dwarven thing.

Flavius has I think 60 ranks of music theory(never converted)....and maybe 15 ranks of vocals...
Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 04:29 PM CDT
>>I think it is a dwarven thing.

So what you're saying is, we can't sing? I'd have to agree. Good call! :-D

Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 04:47 PM CDT

>> I am so very glad I was one of the few...

Well, bonus lore ranks are nothing to sneeze at, especially as you want to learn tactics or trade skills.
Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 04:53 PM CDT
>>Well, bonus lore ranks are nothing to sneeze at, especially as you want to learn tactics or trade skills.

True enough, but I have plenty of lore bits to play with.

Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 05:23 PM CDT
>True enough, but I have plenty of lore bits to play with.

There is never enough lore bits to play with.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 05:35 PM CDT
>>There is never enough lore bits to play with.

Unless you're me. Oh wait, never mind. ;-) Oh hi, Kaeta! Long time!

Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 05:41 PM CDT
Okay, what I should have said is, I have plenty of lore bits to play with, for someone who isn't chomping at the bit(s) to get more bits.

Re: Skills 3.0 and titles 04/05/2012 10:09 PM CDT
Yeah, my guess is that they will use performing. Even though it doesn't make very much logical sense with some of the titles.

I mean, have you seen a TV "preacher" like billy graham, et al that plays the violin at you, or do they use their voice to give a sermon?

Although under the current system, only playing an instrument and not using vocals can be utilized for devotional purposes, some of the titles really don't make sense using instruments rather than vocals.

<<as I firmly believe that upstanding citizens have the inalienable right to strike down musicians whenever possible.>>