Prev_page Previous 1
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 01:30 AM CDT
The explanation above the reqs says soft Augmentation ranks, but Warding is listed instead of Augmentation. I assume it is supposed to read Augmentation?
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 01:32 AM CDT
>>The explanation above the reqs says soft Augmentation ranks, but Warding is listed instead of Augmentation. I assume it is supposed to read Augmentation?

That is correct. My bad, I'll fix it.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 01:40 AM CDT
Thanks Soch. Cleric reqs look good, don't have much comment. I am excited for Theurgy.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 08:06 AM CDT
One lore question, since I'm not paying much attention. With a 4 lore req, does that mean we will be forced to do crafting? App, scholarship, ur-music and then crafting skills are all I can think of offhand.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 08:18 AM CDT
Tactics unless that's a hard req.

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 10:17 AM CDT
>>Tactics unless that's a hard req.

Clerics don't have a Tactics req so it's all good.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 02:28 PM CDT
Looks pretty good to me. Can't wait to see it become reality.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 03:07 PM CDT
I may have missed the discussion, but what is gonna teach Theurgy? what IS theurgy?
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 03:27 PM CDT
>>I may have missed the discussion, but what is gonna teach Theurgy?

Communes.

>>what IS theurgy?

Communes.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 04:19 PM CDT
And rituals.

IIRC, rituals teach a little, communes will teach a lot.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 05:52 PM CDT
>>IIRC, rituals teach a little, communes will teach a lot.

That's what I thought too.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 06:17 PM CDT

Well in general I am good with what I know- armor, shield, second weapon. Lore…I think I will be okay- Scholarship/Appraisal/Mech Lore(crafting)/theurgy(will that count for both a lore and its own requirement?

I have concerns of course of how Theurgy will be grandfathered. And how it will be learned. Without an offensive or defensive commune, unless I am hunting undead I don’t know that I will have much reason to use communes. I am concerned that the requirement to use communes comes at the same time that I may have less incentive to use them.

Magics: The concern is how PM will be split. Should be fine but that is the big unknown.

Of course Teaching going away as a requirement(and seperate skill) is just lovely.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 07:21 PM CDT
>>I am concerned that the requirement to use communes comes at the same time that I may have less incentive to use them.

It's no different than the requirement to cast spells that there is no incentive to cast. ^_^
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 07:24 PM CDT
>>theurgy(will that count for both a lore and its own requirement?

Theurgy will be treated as a magic skill for learning purposes and is a hard requirement (meaning it only counts for its own requirement).

>>I have concerns of course of how Theurgy will be grandfathered.

Like what? It's being grandfathered in the nicest way possible.

>>And how it will be learned. Without an offensive or defensive commune, unless I am hunting undead I don’t know that I will have much reason to use communes. I am concerned that the requirement to use communes comes at the same time that I may have less incentive to use them.

The Eluned commune change will probably not make the X3 release, but hopefully it will still be something useful. As for the rest, keep in mind that the communes will award large amounts of experience with a one-hour timer. Even if you don't need them yourself, you could perform them for others between your hunting sessions and learn Theurgy well without feeling you're communing just to train.

That said, taking the time to do a bunch of different rituals may also end up being a reasonable, if not optimal, way to learn the skill. Uncommon and/or local rituals (e.g: the island ones) will teach significantly better. We could perhaps rebalance the experience awards to favor this method instead, but I really don't think most people would prefer it.

GM Grejuva
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 07:43 PM CDT

Grejuva,

I appreciate the feedback.

I realize now that the Theurgy will grandfather at the minimum per circle- I didn't realize that before- and that of course is fine.

I am trying to remember what the new communes will be- is Eluned the undead TM bonus commune? I guess I am not really sure what the communes are going to be like once it is finished, but currently the only ones I use regularly are the ones going away.

Anyway I figure you will keep an eye on it and tweak things. If you don't mind repeating- what communes do you expect to be live when the changes go into effect?

Thanks
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 07:54 PM CDT
>>what communes do you expect to be live when the changes go into effect?

All except the current Tamsine one, which will become the TM bonus vs undead. The rest are only receiving changes to their scaling, using Theurgy instead of circle. Compared to now, low-level durations will go up, high-level durations will go down.

GM Grejuva
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 09:55 PM CDT

personally speaking, the only commune I currently use is the one that acts as a banner, and that one only rarely. My concern is, if we are semi forced to use communes to learn theurgy, will the devotion hit be as big as it now? Cause if so, training theurgy will be a constant back and forth of losing devotion to communes, followed by rituals to regain devotion which affects our spell casting. I don't want to become someone that has to loop communes and rituals all day just so I can occasionally hunt at full effectiveness with my spells.

unless I am reading this wrong....you need devotion for communes, communes for theugy, theurgy to circle, rituals for raising devotion, devotion for spell effectiveness(depending on the spell)...seems a circle of doing one thing to help another, to help another, to help another etc rince repeat. where does one find the time to actually train other skills without lagging in this Theurgy circle?
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 10:01 PM CDT
>All except the current Tamsine one, which will become the TM bonus vs undead. The rest are only receiving changes to their scaling, using Theurgy instead of circle. Compared to now, low-level durations will go up, high-level durations will go down.

Forgive me if this has been answered, but with the requirement to cast communes now (I don't feel a 'might be possible' to train something via rituals is valid), will the component aspect be going away? I feel like you've answered this before but I can't bludgeon my brain into getting it.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 11:20 PM CDT
>>Cause if so, training theurgy will be a constant back and forth of losing devotion to communes, followed by rituals to regain devotion which affects our spell casting. I don't want to become someone that has to loop communes and rituals all day just so I can occasionally hunt at full effectiveness with my spells.

IIRC the devotion bonus to mana is dying in 3.0, so devotion won't affect your ability to cast spells.

Even if it remains, we will still have Sanctify Pattern (Attunement Bonus) and Persistence of Mana (bonus to max mana, bonus to regen). It's not like you will be hard-pressed to find mana without the devotion bonus.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 12:25 AM CDT

All except the current Tamsine one, which will become the TM bonus vs undead. The rest are only receiving changes to their scaling, using Theurgy instead of circle. Compared to now, low-level durations will go up, high-level durations will go down.

I thought we were also loosing Eluned#1- the defense commune.

So that if I remember off the top of my head leaves us with:
a) Kertigen's
b) Meraud's
c) Hodierna's
d) Eluned #2
f) Rose commune
g) Favor commune

Of these, the only one I could see using regularly, if i wasn't hunting undead would be Hodierna's, simply because if I needed to cast any commune, I might put that up before hunting.

On the positive note- Flavius will probably be hunting undead tog zombies for the next few years, and when the new Eluned's is in place that should work fine.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 01:45 AM CDT

>Persistence of Mana (bonus to max mana, bonus to regen). It's not like you will be hard-pressed to find mana without the devotion bonus.

pretty sure I saw a GM post that clerics are losing the mana regen bonus...which will negate SAP and POM on that level
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 02:16 AM CDT
>>Forgive me if this has been answered, but with the requirement to cast communes now (I don't feel a 'might be possible' to train something via rituals is valid), will the component aspect be going away?

No. We've considered a Theurgy feat that allows you to omit the material component of a commune in exchange for higher devotion cost. Even if we decide to go with it, it will be a post-release thing. This is such a unique part of the guild that I don't want to nix it lightly.

>>My concern is, if we are semi forced to use communes to learn theurgy, will the devotion hit be as big as it now? Cause if so, training theurgy will be a constant back and forth of losing devotion to communes, followed by rituals to regain devotion which affects our spell casting.

Yes, this cycle is very much the intention. Your spellcasting shouldn't suffer unless you only perform communes and neglect rituals.

>>IIRC the devotion bonus to mana is dying in 3.0, so devotion won't affect your ability to cast spells.

The harness regeneration bonus is going away, but so far the room mana bonus, which is smaller relatively and carries penalties on the lower side, is still there.

>>Sanctify Pattern (Attunement Bonus) and Persistence of Mana (bonus to max mana, bonus to regen)

Correction: SaP will boost one of the Augmentation, Warding, Debilitation, Utility skills. PoM will boost the Attunement skill and harness regeneration.

>>I thought we were also loosing Eluned#1- the defense commune.

It won't be removed until there's a replacement for it. At worst, we might downtweak it in the meantime.

>>On the positive note- Flavius will probably be hunting undead tog zombies for the next few years, and when the new Eluned's is in place that should work fine.

You mean Tamsine's. ;)

GM Grejuva
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 06:09 AM CDT
>No. We've considered a Theurgy feat that allows you to omit the material component of a commune in exchange for higher devotion cost. Even if we decide to go with it, it will be a post-release thing. This is such a unique part of the guild that I don't want to nix it lightly.

I won't lie. I am not happy to hear this. I'll wait to see the execution, but frankly as petty as it may be, I don't use communes now because I don't like carrying around hundreds of worthless little doodads.

But thank you for the answers Grejuvy.

Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 12:21 PM CDT

POM- I didn't realize or perhaps remember that POM was changing quite so much.

Eluned's- Glad to know that isn't going away right away- that will probably be my go to then.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 12:56 PM CDT
>I won't lie. I am not happy to hear this. I'll wait to see the execution, but frankly as petty as it may be, I don't use communes now because I don't like carrying around hundreds of worthless little doodads.

I have to agree with this, but what would help for me (would it help for you?) is to have some sort of 'devotional box' or something that can store all the items needed in one clean interface. Like a lockpick ring, but for commune components.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 05:20 PM CDT

like a devotional pouch?
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 07:15 PM CDT
>>like a devotional pouch?

How is this any different from a normal pouch? is it?

Seconding/thirding/fifthing/whatever the request to completely remove material components please! At the very least, please simplify the process to be like Astrology: one item for everything. I hate to have to remember to light the incense and wave it for this one, sprinkle the holy water for that one, oil for the third one, etc.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 07:27 PM CDT
I'm also in favor of abandoning the component requirement. Preserving it seems to be holding onto tradition just for the sake of it. The component aspect of communes doesn't appear to be popular among players at all (recalling from past conversations as well).
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 08:19 PM CDT
>like a devotional pouch?

Having never seen a devotional pouch, I can't say - but what I'm envisioning is something like a single command that gets the components and does the preparation before finally returning any unused pieces to the container. It would have an RT in line with doing them all (eg. add the roundtimes - heck maybe even add more because you have to sort through the container), and messaging that you're doing all these actions.

End result - convenience.

The main reason I've never really considered using communes in standard practice is that they're rather inconvenient. I wouldn't terribly mind having to remember all the different varients and what is needed for each one IF there was a single item-combiner. I have enough trouble with item count as it is, not to mention sorting of items (partially used items moving around at the login reversal, etc). Especially since it looks like communes are where we're being pushed to for training.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 08:30 PM CDT

I am one of the laziest players out there.....and seriously components are not that big of a deal- and I use communes regularly. I have one container that I keep water in, and I keep holy oil and incense. There is always some place to get water, oil is somewhat trickier but not much.

Why anyone doesn't use the offensive commune I cannot understand. The only reason I don't use the defensive commune more is that most times I can defend fine without it, and get all the experience I need, but I get more experience from my hits using the offensive commune. Seriously, the offensive commune is almost the only reason I can tolerate using my HX- without it, the experience gain is just that much worse.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 08:37 PM CDT
>I am one of the laziest players out there.....and seriously components are not that big of a deal- and I use communes regularly. I have one container that I keep water in, and I keep holy oil and incense. There is always some place to get water, oil is somewhat trickier but not much.

Honestly? Does any other guild need furniture for thier required skill useage and learning? Do barbs need a bloodfuse to berserk? A whistle to roar? Do Thieves need a widget to khri? Or Necros a widget to thanatize? MM a widget to learn astrology? And so on.

It's a learnability issue to me; if I'm going to have to use the things to learn the skill to circle, I don't want to be forced to carry a hundred inane widgets which may or may not be available in all areas (water, flint, incense..).

I'm fine with a loss of power, or such, as long as a skill is simply trainable well. I mean, I've put up with teaching (of all the useless skills) for a decade, so it's not usefuleness.

Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 08:46 PM CDT
>>Honestly? Does any other guild need furniture for thier required skill useage and learning?

Yes.

>>Do Thieves need a widget to khri?

Khri no. Some ambushes yes require a non-reusable component.

>>MM a widget to learn astrology?

See: Prediction tools.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 08:57 PM CDT
>>Honestly? Does any other guild need furniture for thier required skill useage and learning?

Do corpses count? :P

I think that the solution would be less focused on getting rid of the "stuff" to make a ritual work, and maybe making it so that the "stuff" doesn't have to be so clunky to carry around. Incense is fine, but doesn't it pretty much get used in one ritual unless you snuff it fast enough? Isn't it annoying to lug around tons of oil and fish parts (there's a fish one, right?).

Might be easier if there'a a censer that you can use for multiple rituals or a bigger amount of uses per fish guts or holy oil lasting longer, etc etc etc.

Thematic stuff is cool as long as you don't have to run around with a bag containing a few dozen sticks of incense per day.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 11:09 PM CDT
>See: Prediction tools.

See: a tool to increase the learning rate but not flatly required, in that percieving stellar bodies, and using the prediction system (event, weather) teaches well enough.

>Khri no. Some ambushes yes require a non-reusable component.

...dirt. They require dirt. Really? You needed to mention that they require dirt?

>I think that the solution would be less focused on getting rid of the "stuff" to make a ritual work, and maybe making it so that the "stuff" doesn't have to be so clunky to carry around. Incense is fine, but doesn't it pretty much get used in one ritual unless you snuff it fast enough? Isn't it annoying to lug around tons of oil and fish parts (there's a fish one, right?).

I believe you can snuff it, though that still uses a part. But you have to carry incense and either a flint (and a metal weapon I guess, but who doesn't?) or a lighter. Still more hassle than is warranted.

I honestly don't know if I much like the idea of being under near-constant buff status too, if I attempt to keep theurgy moving through communes. But that's probably just my own wierd hang up.

I've flogged this horse enough and my opinion is obvious. I'll stop while I'm not making an entire donkey of myself.

Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 11:36 PM CDT
<<...dirt. They require dirt. Really? You needed to mention that they require dirt?>>
Unless he means Ambush Stun which requires specific items like table legs and clay bricks that are destroyed after a single use.

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 12:55 AM CDT
>>See: Prediction tools.

If Clerics require only a single material component for all communes, I am fine with this. Maybe tie it in with the alignment system, sort of like sects use different items?

Light deities like oil, neutral deities like incense, dark deities like holy water, or something. I just don't want to have to carry around six items for my communes anymore, including a lighter and flint.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 11:25 AM CDT

I would hate to see components for communes go away. Some of these things lend the feeling of performing the rituals needed to invoke the gifts of the Gods. I have a devotional pouch, the problem with it is size. It's just too darn small to carry around some of the things needed to prep. If devotional pouches could be given a tiny make over and act something like the stacking wallets/aprons for beads, that would be great. Instantaneous gratification is fantastic, but it takes something away from the feel of whipping out your incense or oil.

On a side note I was able to get my hands on a devotional pouch from a past fest that is pretty large I believe it was a thief fake Cleric pouch.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 05:32 PM CDT
>I think that the solution would be less focused on getting rid of the "stuff" to make a ritual work, and maybe making it so that the "stuff" doesn't have to be so clunky to carry around.

This was entirely my point. The convenience isn't in the lack of components, but how they're all bundled together for ease of use and/or carrying.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 02:03 AM CDT
<<Does any other guild need furniture for thier required skill useage and learning? Or Necros a widget to thanatize? >>
actually, yes. you need a belt knife. :-)

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 02:50 AM CDT
I wouldn't personally put knives on the same level as Moon Mage tools, let alone ritual knickknacks.

You can spend a gold or so out the character gen and never have to worry about knives ever again. MM tools eventually break, let alone how expendable Cleric commune items are.
Prev_page Previous 1