FoU and endangering the public 05/16/2013 03:47 PM CDT

Since this is now a targeted aoe spell that only hits what you intend instead of everything, this seems a silly reason to get arrested. No one is endangered other than those engaged with the caster. It should be treated the same as a single person TM spell in justice zones.
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/16/2013 05:36 PM CDT
Maybe I am wrong, but I think all the aoe spells are this way. Might be broken yes. Things casted at engage probalby shouldn't warrant it. Fire rain also acts the same way Fou does. It might be a limitation of the system to determine difference for justice, but I don't know.
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/16/2013 10:04 PM CDT
The reaction Justice has with a spell is based more on the perception of those witnessing the effects of the spell, rather than how precise the spell happens to be. You may think you have complete and total control over the effects of a spell, but you don't have control over the (occasionally stupid) actions of every member of the town you are casting in. For example, say you stomp on the ground bringing up a rivulet of magma directed at some dirty necromancer. Even as adept as you are at directing that flow toward your target, a child chasing a ball runs smack into the magma. Just because we don't code those sorts of possibilities into the system doesn't mean that the imaginary population of a town won't consider that sort of scenario. Hence, endangering the public.

P.S. Personally, I would be more likely to add code to murder civilians 1 out of 100 times and charge for both murder and endangering the public, than remove the charge.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/16/2013 10:21 PM CDT
>P.S. Personally, I would be more likely to add code to murder civilians 1 out of 100 times and charge for both murder and endangering the public, than remove the charge.

Please do.
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/16/2013 10:38 PM CDT

well by that logic, said kid could very well run out in front of a HoT or HORN which are targeted just as well and just as unusual to the general public, unless of course they are accustomed to large black unicorns impaling people as part of their daily life. Endangering the public would actually have to endanger them. A necromancer in town with a zombie and construct is much more likely to cause fear and panic in the general populace then the people defending them from said zombie and construct. I think if defending the masses is "endangering the public" than what we are protecting them from should be as well.
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/17/2013 02:14 AM CDT
>P.S. Personally, I would be more likely to add code to murder civilians 1 out of 100 times and charge for both murder and endangering the public, than remove the charge.

As long as I get to keep the ball.

GENT
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/17/2013 02:44 AM CDT
>>well by that logic, said kid could very well run out in front of a HoT or HORN which are targeted just as well and just as unusual to the general public, unless of course they are accustomed to large black unicorns impaling people as part of their daily life.

Well, then it's about where the line should be drawn, and why. If you'd like to seriously convince me that the line is in a bad place, take into account every guild and combat style and tell me how the line being drawn anywhere else is a benefit to all of them, because mechanics also need to come into play not just how a fictitious society would realistically react to a particular action without knowledge of intent.

>>I think if defending the masses is "endangering the public" than what we are protecting them from should be as well.

Keep in mind that when an area is under an actual attack (not just one player fighting with another) the justice system is usually set to allow AOEs.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/17/2013 07:08 AM CDT
I think the conceptual difference between Horn and FoU, is horn is akin to a pistol. One shot probably aimed, not likely to deal a high amount of collateral damage, and people are familiar/comfortable with it. FoU would be more similar to a small explosive, like a fragmentary grenade. Even if you have great aim, etc, its still very easy to catch someone accidentally in the crossfire, or deal high collateral damage, etc.

Pants.
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/17/2013 07:30 AM CDT
It's generally about how scared it makes farmer backgroundtext and his implied to be a part of the town family. Everyone is afraid of magma out of nowhere; apparently most people like unicorns.
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/17/2013 10:54 AM CDT
Admittedly my posts contribute nothing (never have), but I'd like to say that GM boards involvement has been really great for quite some time. In the old days GMs didn't respond to anything.
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/17/2013 03:12 PM CDT
>>P.S. Personally, I would be more likely to add code to murder civilians 1 out of 100 times and charge for both murder and endangering the public, than remove the charge.

This would be so awesome.
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/17/2013 03:22 PM CDT

< If you'd like to seriously convince me that the line is in a bad place, take into account every guild and combat style and tell me how the line being drawn anywhere else is a benefit to all of them, because mechanics also need to come into play not just how a fictitious society would realistically react to a particular action without knowledge of intent.>

I'd argue that the line shouldn't be drawn on any spell that is targetted. Elanthian citizens(Joe Farmer, Bill Thatcher, Bob Fisherman) all live in a world of monsters and magic. Its not a stretch to assume they are aware of this(citizens kidnapped and sacrificed, farms burned to the ground etc). The "average" citizen sees magic of all kinda every day. Joe farmer runs over he foot with a plow, he goes to an empath. Bill Thatchers son gets lost, he asks a moon mage to find him. Bob Fisherman gets weather reports from a moon mage. Magic is a part of their daily lives as much as the "hero" class. I'd argue that said citizen would be less afraid of the lava killing the necro zombie, then the zombie itself. Even the uneducated waif would be able to discern ZOMBIE=BAD LAVA/LIGHTNING killing said Zombie=GOOD.

I'd argue a beam of light streaking down from the heavens and a group of people stepping out of it from thin air would be much more disconcerting, then a cleric fighting off an evil creation.
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/17/2013 03:36 PM CDT
None of that has to do with what I was asking. I recognize that we disagree on the thematic reasoning behind the charge, and I doubt I could sway you with simple analogies because it's far too easy to pick apart the reasoning of an imaginary conscious, and arguing back and forth about such details isn't worth my time. If you are actually petitioning for a change that you think is good for the game as a whole, convince me - look at all sides of the conflict and tell me why your way is better or more fair. If you are just looking for a change that would make your life easier at the expense of others' difficulties, then drop it.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/17/2013 04:09 PM CDT
>>Joe farmer runs over he foot with a plow, he goes to an empath. Bill Thatchers son gets lost, he asks a moon mage to find him. Bob Fisherman gets weather reports from a moon mage.

I suspect that your overestimate the amount of contact the average commoner has with guilded heroes. I bet Joe waits for his foot to heal (or not), Bill gets the rest of the village to help him look for his son and Bob learns to predict the weather as best he can himself.
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/17/2013 09:00 PM CDT
The majority of people do not seek empathic healing on a regular basis.

On the other hand they don't suffer the frequent catastrophic injuries that most adventurers do.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/18/2013 05:20 PM CDT
While most Elanthians have the raw capacity to do magic, the vast majority of people live under the restraints of a feudal environment. They're bound to the land, get by year to year, and rarely travel more than a few miles from their home. They are, after all, part of the property. Magicians are part of the guilds, the small artisan/merchant class that has "made it" and by freak luck or accident of birth managed to gain some independence.

This doesn't mean it's impossible for small villages and remote towns to have access to magicians, especially Clerics (who will be the most heavily integrated and traveled of all the magicians), but it's not guaranteed or even likely that Joe Commoner will have access to Empathic assistance even if he could afford it.

This does, coincidentally, mean that most of what a normal person knows about magic they'll probably learn from a priest.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/18/2013 08:50 PM CDT
This has interesting implications for the necro guild, oddly enough. Though maybe that's just me reading in to things.

Pants.
Re: FoU and endangering the public 05/18/2013 09:11 PM CDT

That is a cool explanation, how do commoners see barbarians?