Parry 09/15/2010 05:39 PM CDT
Make parry stop sucking or remove it from my circle reqs, plz. Current method of things is dumb.
Re: Parry 09/15/2010 10:51 PM CDT
I can only assume that you are fairly low circle, because after awhile parry stops being difficult to train. Frankly, I don't can't remember Parry ever being an issue for Flavius- and his primary weapon is HX.

Now, if he could just learn HX easier....
Re: Parry 09/16/2010 06:32 PM CDT
I'm mostly just whining because any sort of ranged attack negates my ability to train parry. Like viper spit.
Re: Parry 09/16/2010 08:02 PM CDT
>I'm mostly just whining because any sort of ranged attack negates my ability to train parry. Like viper spit.

Split your stances. It's messed up, but that's really the only way I've found to semi-safely train Parry below 150 ranks.

30 evasion/50 shield/100 parry

Something like that.
Re: Parry 09/16/2010 08:48 PM CDT
Or find something without a ranged attack. E-pedia has Mutant Togballs about the same ranks as vipers, and they're undead so cleric stuff's more effective

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Parry 09/17/2010 12:48 AM CDT
Something like moss meys, dark spirits, or deadwood dryads might be a decent fit too, if you don't want to travel too far and want other undead options.

-Langa
Re: Parry 09/18/2010 12:42 AM CDT
Yeah vipers was a bad place to train ranged. But stance evasion 100, shield 79, parry 1, and parry will move and you shield will still protect. If parry doesn't move with that stance you should hunt something harder.

Clerics are just so cuddly you can't get mad at them, until they try to rip your soul out and chew on it like a candy bar.
Re: Parry 09/20/2010 12:17 PM CDT
Parry is a PITA to train early until you find your sweet-spot stance mix. (I had forgotten about that until I rolled up a wee barbarian and started training her). However, once you get rolling, it's a great defense. I believe there was discussion about it in the upcoming combat changes? Was it stated to be the best defense when you have swarms of things coming at you from the front? I know I've changed stances from shield to parry when I've gotten in a tight spot and it's saved me a few times.

Keep plugging away!
Re: Parry 09/20/2010 05:25 PM CDT
I believe there is a push for each of the stances to have a specific focus or specialty, an area where that particular defense will bestow the greatest pay-off per point.

However I have no idea where the post may have been, I think it was GM Dart, who suggested it though.