For Syralon 06/22/2007 07:42 PM CDT
"Stand back, Reene, the clerical inferiority complex train has left the station."

The funny thing is, I think the clerics guild is fantastic. With a few notable exceptions Clerics have the most powerful suite of spells we have ever had. With very few exceptions I genuinely like the clerics I meet in game.

I think the difference between you the player of Syralon, advocating Syralons point of view, and me, the player of Flavius, advocating Flavius' point of view is that I actually care about the clerics guild as an idea. Flavius is cleric first. Clerics don't have a motto of 'Clerics stand together' like the rangers do, but yeah, thats how I feel.

I try not to take pot shots at other clerics. I try to advocate passionately and logically for better clerical developement that will benefit clerics. When I disagree, I try- try mind you- to do so politely and constructively. In that vein, I brought over Armifer post and started a discussion on how spells should be developed, and what the role of infusion is.

But you Syralon.... Other than Harm Horde, I can't remember you ever seeing a clerical developement you didn't whole heatedly support. Frankly, I am still surprised that you made a post complaining about HH. You really dislike it when clerics bring up issues within the guild.

The difference between you and me? You think all clerics have an inferiority complex. I think you have a complex with clerics. Go ahead- Pot Shot away.

Flavius

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: For Syralon 06/22/2007 09:44 PM CDT
I think lots of clerics have no idea what their spells and abilities due, much less how to use them effectively. This is true in all of the guilds.

This leads to clerics going gargle gargle, TURN OFF VIOLENCE, gargle gargle.

ZOMG WE ARE DEFENSELESS!!

HOW CAN WE HURT PEOPLE AND THINGS?!?

Et cetera.

If you don't support the vast majority of the recent releases I would say you fall into the category of people that do not know how to use their abilities effectively, unless you are opposing them purely on a design standpoint which doesn't seem to be the case.

I am --- Navak
Re: For Syralon 06/22/2007 10:51 PM CDT
I'm not even remotely a cheerleading type by nature. I'm not generally tremendously optimistic, I've been burned by Simu in the past as much as anyone here, and I certainly don't think we're the best guild around. I am happy to be a Cleric in the sense that it's potentially the most interesting guild around.

That said, the constant negativity in the folders blows my mind. Most of you can make your thoughts known reasonably well. If nothing else these folders are interesting to read. The problem is that there has been an undercurrent of negativity and pessimism about this guild for pretty much as long as I've played a Cleric. It's generally not as blatant these days as much as it has been in the past, and has tapered off somewhat recently with our increased amount of development, but there's this sense that the GMs are actively out to hold this guild back. I use the term "groupthink" because it's the flat out best way I can describe it.

Look at the Harm Horde situation, since you brought that one up. We had some good posts at the beginning discussing the limitations and drawbacks of the spell, the GMs came in to discuss it, and it gradually became more and more negative. I'm still pretty surprised that Dart and Ssra didn't write the Clerics off entirely given how that discussion went.

This negativity is not a new thing. It's been cited multiple times as a direct reason that more GMs aren't willing to come in and do stuff for us. I can't blame them one bit because these boards are often negative enough that I'm pretty tempted myself some days to just give up.

Do I like all our spells? No. Do I dislike how much of a focus the guild has (both developmentally and socially) on corpse duty? Sure. Do I like every new thing that happens in this guild? No (especially eventswise). I'm not here to cheerlead the guild, because it does have problems. I'm hardly some bubbly, cheery, always-happy type (Syralon is more than partly my base personality).

That said, I generally feel obligated on some level to defend our spells, abilities, and the way things go - I'll admit that a large part of it is to spite the whiners. I have lost track of the number of times I've read about our spells or abilities on these forums, chalked them up as a waste of a spell slot/waste of time, then impulsively picked them up and found out that they work extremely well. To listen to Clerics you'd think half our spellbook was broken and not worth taking, whereas I can find good use for pretty much everything we have (of the spells I've chosen, which at this point is a majority of them). The stuff that is broken is getting fixed (see: Revelation). We do not have a ton of quantity, but what we have is almost consistently of good quality. Do I like all our spells? Again, no.

So yes, if you want to get right down to it, my problem is with the Clerics as a group of people. I'm sure you're all nice folks in real life, and a good bunch, but by god it's aggravating dealing with you on the forums. I highly doubt I'm the only one that feels that way.

Syralon
Nerevar says, "Are Nadrim's memories intact?"
Dornal gazes intently at Nadrim's corpse.
Dornal says to Nerevar, "No, they are not."
Dornal begins a cheerful ditty on his copperleaf kithara.
Re: For Syralon 06/22/2007 11:18 PM CDT
>>This leads to clerics going gargle gargle, TURN OFF VIOLENCE, gargle gargle.

ZOMG WE ARE DEFENSELESS!!

HOW CAN WE HURT PEOPLE AND THINGS?!?

Et cetera.

Wait...did I stumble into the empath folder? Most of the clerics I know can defend themselves fairly well and don't whine to "turn off the violence" Although...I do know of a few like that. Being relatively "new" to being a cleric I know I don't understand how to use most of my spells in the most "efficent" way but through trial and error I've learned how some can be effective where others aren't. However, playing DR off and on for 10 years I've discovered that I genuinely prefer playing a cleric to any other guild. Granted, my character isn't the best cleric so far as worshipping and preaching about the gods. Still, they have an amazing range of spells and abilities that I keep joyfully discovering new ways to use. Like throwing naphtha on people and casting AE. ;)

So....I guess I'm kinda siding with Syralon on this one. I tend to not even read the cleric folders anymore because of the same bunch that do whine about our spells. Every guild has spells that aren't all they're chalked up to be. Look at the empaths, lethargy was broken for how long? It got fixed. Have a little faith in the GMs, I'm sure after reading the, "I hate this about this spell and that about that spell" they really want to go right ahead and fix them. Especially considering, half the time a GM DOES "fix" a spell or attempt to make it better in some way the majority of posters come ranting and raving. What sense of appreciation do the GMs get for trying to better things? Not very much at times. I, for one, am highly appreciative of some of the new spells we've recieved and the new titles and say they've done a bang up job lately on bettering some aspects of our guild.

~Lyonesse
>flee e

You wonder if your envelope is the home of an evil spirit.
Re: For Syralon 06/23/2007 12:41 AM CDT
BTW, a symptom of the inferiority complex is constant self-deprecating comparison to others, whether real or imagined.

>>[Lyonesse]So....I guess I'm kinda siding with Syralon on this one. ... Every guild has spells that aren't all they're chalked up to be.

Flavius knows this. His post says at much. And he's said good things about a number of releases. The actual "line" is a matter of perspective. Flavius begins from the belief in guild unity (which I really disagree with) extending to a particular guild idea (which I've never been able to pin down, since it's guru dependent) and blends this with his pet peeves on particular spells.

Really, Flavius pinned down the difference he has with Syralon pretty solidly in his opening post, IMHO.

>>[Flavius]Clerics don't have a motto of 'Clerics stand together' like the rangers do, but yeah, thats how I feel.

But honestly, Flavius: are you really pining for a clerical Dunedain? Do you really believe that the guild will disintegrate unless we all stand together as if we were cut from the same mold?

Why should we stand together? Guild unity, to begin with, is an IC concept, not an OOC one. (And the Ranger guild isn't terribly interesting as a result of it.) I expect to have a serious beef with any cleric who passionately worships Drogor as the destroyer of knowledge. If a priest of Damaris sought to keep information hidden, or a Meraudian chose unethical learning, or a scion of Rutilor argued for the letter of the law over the pursuit of truth, I wouldn't want to be lumped into the same category by virtue or fault of being a cleric.

That you can dislike someone simply because they took a potshot at you is, to me, vain and stubborn. I mean, Ucu says he doesn't like me, but I don't really mind. I'm more surprised he's the only one who's mentioned it. Let me, then, introduce a set of principles for starting discussions:

0. All opinions are plausible until concluded false; accept them.
1. If possible, do not begin with an opinion; conclude it.
2. If you must have an opinion, assume that it is wrong; prove it.
3. If you cannot believe it is wrong, say nothing illogical and admit your assumptions; show it.

And in case it's not clear, #s 1-3 are done over the course of the discussion. In each case, everything is done as a sign of respect for the other party. In #0, that they are not stupid. In #1, that they deserve to be heard. In #2, that they may be right. In #3, that the respect is mutual.

This applies to both fellow players and to GMs. Can you persuade yourself to assume that the GMs are right by default? That, despite your inability to see what they see, it could be possible?

I guess that ends my half-baked tangential rant.

-- Holy Scholar Diarik Erasto, Arcane Researcher, in search of spiritweaving.
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Diarik
http://tinyurl.com/3ch2oz (Spiritweaving)

Holiness of soul lies within integrity of spirit. - Book of Eluned, Magica Bona
Re: For Syralon 06/23/2007 10:51 AM CDT
>Especially considering, half the time a GM DOES "fix" a spell or attempt to make it better in some way the majority of posters come ranting and raving. What sense of appreciation do the GMs get for trying to better things?

This is why I have always urged the GMs not to use the forums as a meter to properly gauge public opinion. The malcontents will always be the loudest. Add this to the fact that the people who post on the forums only make up a small portion of the actual subscriber base, and you've got a very small amount of people being accepted as the 'voice of the people.'

Fuquois
Re: For Syralon 06/24/2007 07:32 PM CDT
<<This is why I have always urged the GMs not to use the forums as a meter to properly gauge public opinion.

I don't think they did. And for that I am very greatful.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Re: For Syralon 06/24/2007 11:31 PM CDT
Yah know it's been a long time since I've read these forums where "everyone whines and cries about our spells". Yep we had a time when alot of us were not happy and people complained and left.

I'm starting to think it's just the "cool" thing to say. God forbid someone doesn't like a spell then it's doom and gloom from the cheerleaders. Psssst...guess what, I have a spell I don't like, please don't tar and feather me.

I enjoy reading peoples different perspectives on thier spells, that shouldn't mean they are "whining". Please give it a rest already.
Re: For Syralon 06/24/2007 11:32 PM CDT
Pointing at another guild and going "But their toys are better than ours!" is nothing short of whining fit for a petulant, spoiled little brat.

Rev. Reene

Esuin exclaims, "Kill her creatures or dye trying, this will put you on the path to proving yourself!"
>
Jairem whispers, "dye them pink"
Re: For Syralon 06/24/2007 11:37 PM CDT
>>I'm starting to think it's just the "cool" thing to say. God forbid someone doesn't like a spell then it's doom and gloom from the cheerleaders.

I assure you, I'm not in this for some sort of intangible "coolness" rating from the forum monkeys.

>>Psssst...guess what, I have a spell I don't like, please don't tar and feather me.

I do too! Can we be friends?

Syralon
Nerevar says, "Are Nadrim's memories intact?"
Dornal gazes intently at Nadrim's corpse.
Dornal says to Nerevar, "No, they are not."
Dornal begins a cheerful ditty on his copperleaf kithara.
Re: For Syralon 06/24/2007 11:40 PM CDT
>Pointing at another guild and going "But their toys are better than ours!" is nothing short of whining fit for a petulant, spoiled little brat.

If someone compares spells and that freaks you out then maybe you should take a board break.
Re: For Syralon 06/24/2007 11:48 PM CDT
I'm not the one freaking out though. Hell the so-called "cheerleaders" aren't the ones that even started this conflict thread.

Clerics have great spells and great abilities and I'm not sure why people are foaming at the mouth and unwilling to accept that maybe your guild doesn't suck as much as some of you think it does.

You have (or had) at least three great devs working on stuff for this guild. I wonder if they even still are or they just got tired of all the negativity.

Rev. Reene

Esuin exclaims, "Kill her creatures or dye trying, this will put you on the path to proving yourself!"
>
Jairem whispers, "dye them pink"
Re: For Syralon 06/24/2007 11:58 PM CDT
Please point out the post numbers so I can go back and reread, maybe I'm missing something. I don't think my guild sucks, I dropped my main char to play my Cleric full time. I know very well how to utilize my Cleric and do so.
Re: For Syralon 06/25/2007 12:01 AM CDT
I'm tired so if my posts dont make too much sense lemme know. I don't have alot of online time, been spending my days at the hospital and I'm pooped. I mean't by post numbers that I want to see who all the complainers are.
Re: For Syralon 06/25/2007 12:33 AM CDT
The first post is 8407.
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=16&topic=6&message=8407

That post was a reaction to "Crosspost from Warmie Folder- Armifers post on Spell Developement"
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=16&topic=13&message=6813

That thread was started using a copy by GM Armifer's post in another guild's folder.

The post that Flavius is responding to via Conflicts is here:
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=16&topic=13&message=6873

Enjoy!

-- Holy Scholar Diarik Erasto, Arcane Researcher, in search of spiritweaving.
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Diarik
http://tinyurl.com/3ch2oz (Spiritweaving)

Holiness of soul lies within integrity of spirit. - Book of Eluned, Magica Bona
Re: For Syralon 06/25/2007 10:59 AM CDT
Read the first post and all I can say is "Are you kidding me"?.

Second post: Loved it, was very precise and to the point. Again are you kidding me?

Third post: Yep you finally got one right.

I hardly see Flavius's and Syralon's posts as "Foaming at the mouth". I enjoy reading Flav's thoughts as I do with Aetherie's. They are the two top Cleric posters in my mind. The only negative posts I've come across are the ones were you get pop-in posts to parrot the "Clerics are big whiners". Of course that immediately draws themselves into that category by simply posting that.
Re: For Syralon 06/25/2007 10:59 AM CDT
>>However, playing DR off and on for 10 years I've discovered that I genuinely prefer playing a cleric to any other guild.

Seconded. Having played every guild except empath and bard in the last 10 years, I can easily say that cleric is my favorite.. and I did not feel that way 8 years ago when I first tried my hand at being a cleric. Part of it is the RP opportunities provided, and the other is our repetoire of spells.

I don't post very often, but I do read the cleric boards avidly. Over a very long span of time, the cleric guild was neglected and people were unhappy. Carpe diem, friends. We've got one of the best put together teams of GMs DR has ever seen as of right now, and a significant portion of them have spent some time doing work for us, and have the intent of doing so in the future if any of the titles indicate anything.

The cleric guild had a distinct lacking the spellbook, but a lot of headway has been made to solve the problem. Is it entirely solved? Of course not. Are there a lot of so-called niche spells? Yes, but aren't there in every class? Diversity and variety, m'friends.

I don't think Syralon was so much pointing to the negativity in Flavius' most recent posts as to an overall guild/board history with it. I actually thought the Flavius-Armifer exchange was well done, considering what we've seen on the boards in the past.

I manage to avoid negativity by keeping one thing in mind: GMing is a volunteer job that you have to apply for, folks. They're players, just like you and me, that care enough about the game and the people in it (yes, even you, dear reader) to put their own passion into it. If you think you've got the time and energy and innate understanding of programming to put your time and energy into it, then by all means, please do. If it doesn't violate your NDA, please let us know how you manage to juggle doing all your coding work that you're assigned on top of the freelance projects that you do for those that need/cry for it (cameo courtesy of cleric guild!), and then persist with your motivation levels after the responses you get for your hard work.

Anyone, long story short, over 10 years in the same game is a long time, and there are a lot of people in the same boat. We all have a love for this game... some of us are discontent, and others of us are discontent with how those people show that discontent because there's a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. Please highlight the last 8 words of the previous sentence.

The cleric guild never had it so good.

- Tyrun/Holgier

p.s. can we go back to making malediction force people to drop to their knees? or can someone post in current clerical magic some hard numbers on how much the curses affect offense/defense at the different levels? <3