Cyclic TM spell 02/24/2016 10:53 AM CST

Been thinking about this a bit.....and I'm curious as to what other Clerics might think.

Do Clerics need/deserve a cyclic TM Spell?

~Gab
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/24/2016 11:32 AM CST
SA is a cyclic TM spell. But, meh. There are already two AoEs to choose from that are above and beyond what most AoE TMs are. Clerics also already have a choice between GhS and HYH-Male/CoZ. Adding a third choice doesn't seem that necessary.

Is there room for it? Sure, why not? Clerics have an insanely comprehensive suite already, why not give them a few more tools to choose from!
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/24/2016 02:52 PM CST

Personally I think more cyclics are a good thing. They act as a bit of a power check by forcing hard choices to some degree. For example when my cleric hunts gremlins he has to choose between spell protection , an offensive debuff, a defensive debuff and sa. In the right setting this is interesting. If you can steamroll whatever you are hunting it isn't, of course
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/24/2016 04:15 PM CST

Choice is good, but I feel in PvE there often isn't really much of a choice to be made. GhS is only relevant for a small number of critters, for example.
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/24/2016 06:30 PM CST
>Is there room for it? Sure, why not? Clerics have an insanely comprehensive suite already, why not give them a few more tools to choose from!

Thanks!
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/24/2016 11:38 PM CST

Honestly in my opinion we don't need/deserve a cyclic TM. Like was said, our toolbox is pretty freakin sweet as is. And, our TM choices are pretty rock solid anyways.
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/27/2016 02:08 PM CST

after giving this some thought and kicking it around, I would like to see a low level cleric cyclic tm spell vs undead..... something that would trigger vs who the cleric was facing or who had engaged the cleric.... maybe something like Righteous Presence where it would have something like a harm evil type effect. I could see where this would help young clerics and encourage them to hunt undead. put it up and learn while you kill zombie goblins, boggles and Reavers at low levels clerics could still play to guild strengths.

The feeble old swamp shaman
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/28/2016 04:15 PM CST
Cyclics aren't really meant for low level characters, though. Excepting bards, who have enchantes. You need 100 in arcana and 100 in attunement to get to the raw channeling feat, plus a spell slot. It doesn't really take long to get to 100 ranks, sure, but it fuzzes the boundary of "low level" and they're not gonna be in goblins/boggles/reavers at that point.
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/29/2016 08:43 AM CST
>>Cyclics aren't really meant for low level characters, though.

I disagree. I think the average member of the playerbase is spoiled by 'relatively' low cost cyclics combined with the feats to make them very easy to use. I was rather amused using EE on a 15th circle war mage. Paying attention to keeping mana in a cyclic was hardly game breaking.

Samsaren
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/29/2016 09:53 AM CST
>>Paying attention to keeping mana in a cyclic was hardly game breaking.

I don't think it's game-breaking but it does make using other spells (or doing other things) a bit more difficult than it needs to be. Along with that, holding mana risks nerve damage over time, especially for younger magic users who aren't as adept at doing it.

So yeah, it's totally doable, but raw channeling is a pretty big game changer.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/29/2016 11:26 AM CST
Also bear in mind that aside from bard cyclics and now EE there aren't any low end cyclics. Most are esoteric which come with a minimum 200 ranks to be able to even cast, and there's a handful of advanced with a minimum of 80. That's not to say there can't be easier ones, but the current state of the game is that cyclics are not a low level thing for most guilds.
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/29/2016 02:48 PM CST
I'd love to see an anti-Undead cyclic tm. Maybe a single target with a meta add on to make it area? And 80 rank level, (advanced?) would be great. My Paladin would even consider trying it if it's not signature.
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/29/2016 02:53 PM CST
I knew I should have thrown in a caveat like "of course you can hold mana manually" but I didn't because who wants to? Thrashing your nerves is lame. I stick by my statement that most cyclics (I did forget EE has a low rank req) are not really meant for low level use. Meant. Intended. Planned for. Ideally used by higher circle characters than 15th, which, incidentally, still means they're no longer in reavers. (I have a 15th WM who is past them.)

Maybe with EE's surprisingly low rank req they'll consider releasing more advanced cyclics. I do like the spell idea here. Just might not be in the design.
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/29/2016 04:40 PM CST

>>I'd love to see an anti-Undead cyclic tm. Maybe a single target with a meta add on to make it area?

I wasn't sure how I felt when I posted my original query, but after reading the responses and thinking it over I think I really like this idea.

~Gab
Re: Cyclic TM spell 02/29/2016 09:17 PM CST
>>200 ranks

I know this isn't terribly popular sometimes, but you're still talking the lower end of the game.

>>but it does make using other spells (or doing other things) a bit more difficult than it needs to be.

I'll grant it takes a little mental adjustment, but honestly, if you're expecting, long term, cyclics to continue to be fire and forget ez casting (especially for Debil and TM that don't drop off exp wise), you're likely going to get a rude awakening. If we're being honest, for the most part they're TOO easy/effective for what they are.

More on point, I found, again, with a lower level PC, so no feats, a cyclic was a rather potent tool. Charging up a pair of moderate mana pieces, and doing other things (for example, I was using a bow/crossbow) it worked rather well.

Samsaren
Re: Cyclic TM spell 03/03/2016 05:10 AM CST
I honestly don't think we do. I've never experienced any difficulty in working TM with our options and once you get Fire of Ushnish, gg. My cyclics in combat are better served to train Debil, Warding and Utility.

Would it be rather awesome (read: So very overpowered) to have Aesrela Everild as a cyclic? Of course. That would qualify as a, "want" rather than a, "need" however.

Prydaen prayer for the hunt:
http://pastebin.com/fRrP52H7