Any potential here? 02/03/2010 12:25 AM CST
I haven't really fleshed anything out as far as this goes, but let's give this a quick whirl. Not to steal the whole moonblade idea, but since we already have SoL, is there any chance in creating a held-mana ME or HE weapon based off of the Aldauth scythe-blade? Specificly limited to one blade size, unlike the fluctuating moonblade, that would be infusible and OM compatible? Lower harnessed mana and no infusion lead to poor blade quality, with a maximum infusion rate of say "great" slice? Just a prospective thing and all, but I think it'd be absolutely fantastic and "Clerical."
Re: Any potential here? 02/03/2010 09:55 AM CST
I would love that idea. Though for playability reasons I think it would need to be able to be at least medium, heavy, and two-handed Edged weapons. I'd go so far as to say additionally Halberd, but that's pure self-service there. Reason being is because you won't find a single edged weapon that every cleric trains, and all of these weapons could concievably be a scythe.
Re: Any potential here? 02/03/2010 02:24 PM CST
I dunno, I'm not really interested in magical weaponry if it's not going to be somehow 'better' than regular weapons. And given how forging goes, combined with bless, I don't see a whole lot for it.
Re: Any potential here? 02/03/2010 03:35 PM CST
>>And given how forging goes, combined with bless, I don't see a whole lot for it.

Dartenian has discussed that one of the overall goals for combat 3.0 is to balance offense against defense, make armor valuable, and make each engagement (critter) a more prolonged endeavor with greater rewards per critter instead of just mindlessly being a one-man goblin holocaust.

Hopefully one of the practical results is that different damage types might actually matter versus different opponents and different kinds of armor, sort of like Dragonrealms/Pokemon. If that's true, then Warrior Mages being able to grant your sword temporary fire damage might be very valuable.

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: Any potential here? 02/03/2010 04:31 PM CST
>Hopefully one of the practical results is that different damage types might actually matter versus different opponents and different kinds of armor, sort of like Dragonrealms/Pokemon. If that's true, then Warrior Mages being able to grant your sword temporary fire damage might be very valuable.

I can agree with this, but clerics will never get anything other than 'holy power', which bless covers.

I just can't ever see the GMs giving clerics 'weapon (any) of light' spell, which the above comment would really require.

Let alone the weapon of light being comparable or better than a store/forged weapon.
Re: Any potential here? 02/03/2010 04:47 PM CST
>I just can't ever see the GMs giving clerics 'weapon (any) of light' spell, which the above comment would really require.

Ignoring that clerics have 'holy fire' and other such manifestations, the other two mages can create weapons (all of which are store-bought templates), and holy mages conjuring expressions of their god's weapon is a well-established fantasy trope.

What's so outside the realm of possibility of a cleric conjuring a likeness of Firulf's Staff or, Harawep's swords or what have you?

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Any potential here? 02/03/2010 06:57 PM CST
>>Let alone the weapon of light being comparable or better than a store/forged weapon.

Forging a sword of light that does fire damage as good as a bastard sword slices? No. Creating a jewel that adds fire damage to a sword that a forger created? Why not?

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: Any potential here? 02/03/2010 09:27 PM CST
If not a "weapon of light" style, then why not a "weapon of spirit conjuration"? For instance, the ghost shield. It's structural integrity varies upon our spirit health, and it ceases to exist at 50% spirit health. Damage/balance are based on infused mana, as it's still held. Something along those lines. I just think this would be absolutely Add Bass.
Re: Any potential here? 02/09/2010 03:22 PM CST
not that this is a bad idea, but I don't think anyone is getting magically made weapons that are better than store-bought. Something to enhance a weapon sure, but your probably not going to be able to produce one better than regular weapons.

If you don't mind that go ahead, but moon mages and warrior mages really don't use their made weapons for Maximum offense. Moon Mages like moonblades because they have excellent parry, and other functions. Warrior Mages either use their versions as mostly throw away light thrown/heavy thrown.

Not arguing against, just don't be surprised if it doesn't turn out to be as well as you hoped.

I want to confess all my sins. But my heart is empty. That emptiness is a Mirror and when I stare into it I only see my reflection and feel insolence and rage.
-The Seventh Seal
Re: Any potential here? 02/09/2010 10:19 PM CST
>>Warrior Mages either use their versions as mostly throw away light thrown/heavy thrown.

WMs make the absolute best HT weapon in the realms hands down. Just throwing that out there.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Any potential here? 02/09/2010 11:04 PM CST
>Just throwing that out there.

I see what you did there.

Too bad we can't forge HT weapons...