Planned spells update. 06/02/2009 10:21 PM CDT
Would it be possible to get an update on our two planned spells (Bind Spirit and Spite of Dergati I think). Is it still likely we'll see them before year's end. A little more detail about what they do and/or how they will do it.

Much <3 for our super Grejuva.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 12:14 AM CDT
No updates to speak of, but I'm still hoping to get them out this year. Although I said my priority was new spells, I sort of deviated from that and have been spending a lot of time code-diving into the other core clerical systems. Especially the communes and their quests, in preparation for the Truffenyi one.

GM Grejuva
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 08:40 AM CDT
Is Meraud's Cry still coming out? We have a title for it but can't get it :(

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 09:49 AM CDT
I'm still crossing my fingers for Idon's Theft.

I'm also looking forward to the triumphant return of Chill Spirit.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 11:43 AM CDT
I think I heard somewhere that Idon's theft is pretty much a coding nightmare. Stealing a spell from a target player has so many horrid implications that I think it would be a waste of time, from a dev perspective.

In addition to that, it's not going to be all that useful with the changes to how difficult spells from other mana types are to cast, unless you're an utter masochist.

The Meraud's Cry spell I think is too much, at too great a cost. Stripping all magic from the surrounding area at a huge devotion hit isn't really going to be worth it, because it will only really be viable in a PvP scenario, and certainly not very often.

We would be better off begging for a "dispel" spell that is single target, with the requirement of uncurse... and having Meraud's Cry as the next tier up.

That being said, I do wish our curses could extend to the realm of AOE. =\ I don't use Kertigen's Will *at all* because it's hard to debuff a target's hiding that you can't see to begin with.

Grejuva, do you see clerics as capable of eventually getting AOE disablers (preferably SpellvSpirit <3 <3) and/or curses of some sort in the future? What about a single target dispel?

- Tyrun
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 11:54 AM CDT
Great Post Tyrun

"Stealing a spell from a target player has so many horrid implications that I think it would be a waste of time, from a dev perspective."

I love the concept, but based upon recent GM posts about runes and scrolls, I don't see this happening. Though it does seem like a lovely use of Meta Magic. Perhaps as an aspect of a barrier spell, to 'catch' a spell cast upon a cleric. Though in some ways this sort of contradicts Magic Theory, I think there could be a rational for it.

"Grejuva, do you see clerics as capable of eventually getting AOE disablers (preferably SpellvSpirit <3 <3) and/or curses of some sort in the future? What about a single target dispel?"

This is where I would think cleric AOE should shine. We aren't going to get AOE TM even against undead that reaches War Mage level, but I haven't seen any reason stated why clerics shouldn't excel at AOE debuff's/curses whatever.

Kertigen's will needs to be revised to be a single effect, area affect spell. I will say though that it irks me everytime that a 'hiding' assistance spell has Kertigen's name on it. To me, that is the equivelent of naming FOU Tamsine's Flames.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 12:27 PM CDT
Idon's Theft is a tentative "We'd like to do it, and we know how to do it, but not a current priority."

Meraud's Cry or any sort of general dispel spell is unlikely to happen at this point. It'd require an enormous amount of developer time to set up, and, frankly, it's exactly the sort of spell that gets complained about in this category. There's a limit to how many man-hours I'm willing to sink into a spell that's destined for a "Meh, it's a neat idea but not worth my precious spell slots..." thread.

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 12:37 PM CDT
>>There's a limit to how many man-hours I'm willing to sink into a spell that's destined for a "Meh, it's a neat idea but not worth my precious spell slots..." thread.

No worry about that from Clerics anytime soon. (hopefully this will change though).

PS Please note this is not a complaint about the cleric spellbook. We might not have as many spells as WMs or MMs but almost all of our spells are high quality

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 12:53 PM CDT
I'm open to KW ideas, but I'd rather not rewrite the spell yet again. Perhaps the item protection aspect could be expanded into something useful? Brainstorm!

>>Grejuva, do you see clerics as capable of eventually getting AOE disablers (preferably SpellvSpirit <3 <3) and/or curses of some sort in the future?

I'd love to do a metamagic AoE which works in conjunction with the curses you know. Nothing on paper yet.

>>To me, that is the equivelent of naming FOU Tamsine's Flames.

Well, there's this orphaned creature I intend to complete as a fiery Tamsinean cat of doom...

GM Grejuva
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 12:55 PM CDT
>>Meraud's Cry or any sort of general dispel spell is unlikely to happen at this point. It'd require an enormous amount of developer time to set up, and, frankly, it's exactly the sort of spell that gets complained about in this category. There's a limit to how many man-hours I'm willing to sink into a spell that's destined for a "Meh, it's a neat idea but not worth my precious spell slots..." thread.

I think I mixed up prior GM posts on Meraud's Cry and Idon's theft.

It is my sincere hope that the cleric era of spell QQ is at an end and that the dominant portion of the posters are positive guild enthusiasts able to look at our spell book objectively when comparing to other guilds.

For Meraud's Cry, I would take a gender shift and seduce your Jean-Paul Sartre esque Green Moon Mage text so I could bear your children. :(

- Tyrun

::Ucu awakes in a cold sweat somewhere in the middle of the night, knowing that somehow, somewhere, he has been talked about and a spell has reached an early grave::
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 01:06 PM CDT
>>I think I mixed up prior GM posts on Meraud's Cry and Idon's theft.

Meraud's Cry is a dispel. Idon's Theft is stealing spells from other casters.

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 02:52 PM CDT
By dispell do we mean causing active spells on a person to poof?

I.e. the warmie who has DB up. Dispell + hulp = no offensive magic left?

Would it affect a held mana spell? Hulp + dispell = no more AC ?

If so, I'd love a dispell spell, and I'd use it a lot either as an opening to an offensive action or a follow up to an offensive action.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 03:01 PM CDT
>>Meraud's Cry is a dispel. Idon's Theft is stealing spells from other casters.

I meant in terms as to which one would be extremely difficult to implement from the dev side. I assumed all sorts of difficulties in attempting to steal spells from other players, rather than removing their magic... but it does make sense, upon your corrective post.

Determining how a dispel would affect pulse spells, for instance; held mana spells; so on and so forth.

I'm well versed in the concepts of the spells, I assure you, because I've wanted them oh so long. :(

- Tyrun
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 03:09 PM CDT
Grejuva- Armifer- thanks for the feedback.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 03:09 PM CDT
>>I meant in terms as to which one would be extremely difficult to implement from the dev side. I assumed all sorts of difficulties in attempting to steal spells from other players, rather than removing their magic... but it does make sense, upon your corrective post.

Depends on how Idon's Theft is structured. Currently I conceive it as a preparation interrupt. Someone starts preparing a spell and you can quickly nab it as your own, along with some additional quirks to prevent abuse and flavor up the spell. This is reasonable to do.

If we were thinking of Idon's Theft as a way to steal active spells (Oh, hey, you have a nice ES up -- yoink!), then it'd be even more complicated than Meraud's Cry and also end up on the "not happening in the foreseeable future" pile.

-Armifer
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 03:41 PM CDT
>> Well, there's this orphaned creature I intend to complete as a fiery Tamsinean cat of doom...

http://lfgcomic.com/page/47

Rev. Reene

Reene: tie a scimitar to your fist.
Kystrk: that would just be unrealistic
Reene: because jump kicking someone from hiding and vaporizing their skull is super realistic
Kystrk: I was wearing footwraps
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 04:22 PM CDT
>>Depends on how Idon's Theft is structured. Currently I conceive it as a preparation interrupt. Someone starts preparing a spell and you can quickly nab it as your own, along with some additional quirks to prevent abuse and flavor up the spell. This is reasonable to do.<<

Or maybe it could just summon up a spectral hand that flies at their face, pokes them in their eyes with a loud "BOINK!" and then fades away with a ghostly "Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck...."

Actually a whole spellbook of 3 Stooges themed spells just came to mind.

-=Dirge. You gotta lava it.=-

"Traders do not shriek like little girls and worry about magic cooties." GM Armifer
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 05:24 PM CDT
"Or maybe it could just summon up a spectral hand that flies at their face, pokes them in their eyes with a loud "BOINK!" and then fades away with a ghostly "Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck...."

I would so use this spell
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 08:07 PM CDT
>::Ucu awakes in a cold sweat somewhere in the middle of the night, knowing that somehow, somewhere, he has been talked about and a spell has reached an early grave::

I never claimed to be any sort of tolerable, did I?

Thought I'd toned it down in the past year or so though :(
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 08:12 PM CDT
I like you Ucu

Rev. Reene

You see Rickk Astley, a Human Bard.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/03/2009 08:19 PM CDT
>I like you Ucu

I like you to.

Though, that shouldn't comfort either of us, and I think we both know it...

Back on topic, any renovation, expansion, or in general, 'new crap' for OM? It seems big-banged. Good 2-3 spells, we're done.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/04/2009 03:18 AM CDT
And I <3 both of you.

And in conjunction with more OM spell development, how about that infusion development also?

Nikpack
player of more than I should list

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Planned spells update. 06/04/2009 08:58 AM CDT
I would also like a pony. And a racecar. And a firetruck.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/04/2009 09:05 AM CDT
>>I never claimed to be any sort of tolerable, did I?

>>Thought I'd toned it down in the past year or so >>though :(

I was just being playful sir and wondering where you had disappeared to. And yes, I think you've been very understanding of the other spell niches in the last year.

Glad to see you posting again.

- Tyrun
Re: Planned spells update. 06/04/2009 12:21 PM CDT
Ucu is just trying to lure us into a sense of complacency before he strikes again....I know how he works...
Re: Planned spells update. 06/04/2009 03:45 PM CDT
"I'm open to KW ideas, but I'd rather not rewrite the spell yet again. Perhaps the item protection aspect could be expanded into something useful? Brainstorm!"

I remembered your post Grejuva, and thought it deserved the brainstorm you suggested. Though, in reality my post is probably more like a light sprinkle than a brainstorm. So how to improve KW without in essence rewriting it? My personal feeling is that the current model does 3 things, none of them in a really functionally useful way.
A) Making it harder for people/critters to hide: The problem with this function is two fold- creatures don't rehide, so its currently useless for normal training. In CvC, I don't have much experience, but my problem is that I can't cast at what I can't find.

Potential for improvement: make it an area cast, so it affects those in hiding.

B) Making it harder for people/creatures to see the cleric hide: This has potential- like I said it irks me that a spell called Kertigen's does this but....but this could be much more useful if it were as usable as CV. I remember the discussion regarding comparing CV to KW, and I think it was Armifer's explanation. As I understand this, KW will work best for a cleric with 400 or more hiding- both of them(exageration- I realize this could be 4). I would actually use this function of the spell if I could, but with only 200 or so hiding, this never seemed to make much difference.

Potential for improvement: make it area cast. A 60 mana area cast would still affect fewer creatures than a 60 mana self cast of CV. Failing that, reduce both the mana required and skill needed so that the average cleric could best utilize this function.

C) Protecting stuff. Wow....I have little need for the current protection. Even if someone were to gank one of my pyramids, why would I care? I am not going to put anything on the ground that I am concerned about losing. KW doesn't work on thrown's or ammo. Doesn't work if you leave the room. Has a relatively short duration. If we wanted to focus on the protection aspect, it would really need to be dramatic to make it worthwhile.

Potential: A bond weapon type function- though I am trying to decide if that would really win me over. If it worked like Paladin's so my throwns would come back I would jump at it, but I just don't see that happening.
Protect Armor? Just protecting against damage would be of minimal help. Improving armor ala DA would be nice but I am dubious we would ever get that with KW. Same with some function like YS.
For amusement sake- if we got nothing else- have an item that is protected by KW impart a stun(ala familiars) to anyone who picks it up.

I hope someone has better ideas than I do. I don't need KW, but in the next year or so it will be one of the last spells availible for me to choose, and I would prefer more utility from it.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/04/2009 04:47 PM CDT
>>Potential for improvement: make it an area cast, so it affects those in hiding.

This. This. This. This.

- Tyrun
>I hope someone has better ideas than I do. I don't need KW, but in the next year or so it will be one of the last spells availible for me to choose, and I would prefer more utility from it.

The only time I've actively used KW is when I'm messing around with a thief or someone else stealthy, and purely to debuff their hiding. But to use it like that, it has to be your opening spell since your target has to be in the open.

I'd be fine with splitting KW into two spells, one for hiding debuff one for perc debuff (for those who want it). KW becoming a hiding debuff that is AOE when general cast and perhaps a stronger single person debuff when cast at a specific target. As a third tier spell, I'm not sure how close to global caps it currently is (?), or would be if AOE, or if it could be AOE and keep both the hiding/perception debuff and be near global caps (dropping item protection, since I still don't see a use for that).

Though, if you want to discuss item protection - something that protects thrown items (brings them back to hand? keeps the system from eating them?), or a pseudo-bond weapon kind of thing might be interesting.
>> This. This. This. This.

nerf tyrun

Rev. Reene

You see Rickk Astley, a Human Bard.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/04/2009 06:09 PM CDT
>And in conjunction with more OM spell development, how about that infusion development also?

This too, though I think the two go hand in hand. I'd still like to see a mana battery function to OM, combining PoM, OM, and perhaps Bene (as a top tier bless) or a new spell/ability.

Or the ability to choose on cast to make it a mana battery, or a current-use OM orb. Make it one-shot dump all the mana you've put into it into you (or perhaps a target, causing nerve damage to them?).

Make the orb a holy hand grenade. At the cost of orb, mana, and spells invested in it, let it deal stuns/damage/effect based on spells in it. Halo would knock things out of the room, with a very significant bonus to caster. SoL might have some sort of Malediction or CoZ effect, Rezz would AoE rejuve and soul bond, and so on. More mana in the orb, more effect. Perhaps a time limit to re-make an orb, an hour or so, after holy-hand-grenading. Instant effect, but long re-build time.

I like 'oh crap' buttons.

>I'd be fine with splitting KW into two spells, one for hiding debuff one for perc debuff (for those who want it). KW becoming a hiding debuff that is AOE when general cast and perhaps a stronger single person debuff when cast at a specific target. As a third tier spell, I'm not sure how close to global caps it currently is (?), or would be if AOE, or if it could be AOE and keep both the hiding/perception debuff and be near global caps (dropping item protection, since I still don't see a use for that).

Keeping it one spell with two cast options for 'focus' would be in line with Malediction.

And the 'protection' aspect always seemed really tacked on to me; if it's effecting the overall power of the spell, just get rid of it.

>I was just being playful sir and wondering where you had disappeared to. And yes, I think you've been very understanding of the other spell niches in the last year.

Burned myself out. Took a break from the game, and a longer break from the boards. And I figured, I was just messing with you.
Re: Planned spells update. 06/04/2009 09:01 PM CDT
>>Make the orb a holy hand grenade.

>>I like 'oh crap' buttons.

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20050531.html

I approve.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Planned spells update. - KW Brainstorm 06/05/2009 03:15 AM CDT
>>Potential for improvement: make it an area cast, so it affects those in hiding.

This or a slightly different idea, but maybe it will help the whole having to rewrite the entire spell senario. Let us put KW into an orb and have the area effect occur when we invoke it?

Nikpack
player of more than I should list

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z