Aspects of the All God 06/23/2017 01:55 AM CDT
Just want to say again, this release was verrrrry cool.
I love the method and the messaging. While it's not a spell I would use persistently due to RP reasons, it's still a VERY NEAT spell and I love how it works and was put together. Also, I really love that the restrictions it does impose make complete sense for it.
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/23/2017 02:03 AM CDT

Double post -- oops!
The only questions I still have are about it's duration and I'm fairly sure if there is an easter egg bonus in it I don't think I found it yet.
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/23/2017 06:10 AM CDT
Just read the wiki page.

Any chance people could put the research and other messaging on there somewhere? I like what's already there.

Also, is the spell a randomized alignment combination/setup, or do you specify it?

If you don't want to answer for 'spoilers' that's cool
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/23/2017 12:31 PM CDT

Additionally, I don't know if everyone gets a random name for their new "friend" or not, but I'm curious if there's a translation for the name I received - Skuyaseor. On the surface it looks like possible Gamgweth but I can't find any relevant words that would relate to "Skuya".
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/23/2017 01:27 PM CDT
>>The only questions I still have are about it's duration

Standard alignments are permanent. Others last as long as your godling is alive. Dun dun dun.

>> and I'm fairly sure if there is an easter egg bonus in it I don't think I found it yet.

The spell itself shouldn't have many surprise bits (other than how the Alaudian alignments behave). There was a nasty World Dragon alignment in there during much of the development, but I opted to save it for a future metaspell. The corruption, on the other hand, is probably more complex than the spell.

>>Also, is the spell a randomized alignment combination/setup, or do you specify it?

Latter.

>>Additionally, I don't know if everyone gets a random name for their new "friend" or not, but I'm curious if there's a translation for the name I received

In retrospect, it would have been fitting to name the godling in the sorcerer's own language. But no, it's mostly gibberish.

>>Skuyaseor

Heh, I'm sorry.

GM Grejuva
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/23/2017 06:19 PM CDT
I don't know how many variations there are, but mine was Thehagma.

__
Amybecka
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/23/2017 09:28 PM CDT

>Heh, I'm sorry

Heeey don't be hating on poor sweet Skuyaseor.
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/26/2017 01:35 PM CDT

Any chance we can gain favors with the Alaudian pantheon gods? And is it possible to use DI book spells while aligning to those dieties? Or would it be possible to consider shifting FOU out of the DI book? That's a pretty stiff penalty, restricting our top TM trainer (other then on undead).
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/26/2017 02:07 PM CDT

There's a very good reason for the penalty. It really shouldn't be 100% convenient to contravene cosmic laws just because you want to tweak your alignment and still have your lava.
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/26/2017 02:31 PM CDT
>>Any chance we can gain favors with the Alaudian pantheon gods?

Favors just isn't a thing that's associated with the Alaudian gods. There's a reason for this, but right now we're implying it in the context and messaging rather than flat out spoiling it.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/26/2017 02:49 PM CDT
>>And is it possible to use DI book spells while aligning to those dieties?

Sure, the alignment isn't what interferes with Divine Intervention. As I mentioned, antinomic corruption is rather complex, with at least one benefit even, and can be worked around in some ways if you understand it. Hint: it's all about the godling.

GM Grejuva
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/26/2017 05:28 PM CDT
> Favors just isn't a thing that's associated with the Alaudian gods. There's a reason for this, but right now we're implying it in the context and messaging rather than flat out spoiling it.

They're all transcendent necromancers!
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/26/2017 05:29 PM CDT
I had completed the research, was just about ready to finish to get this spell, and then I cancelled - I guess I'm questioning the benefits.

So...to my fellow Clerics who opted to choose the spell. Is it worth the two spell slots?

And if it is worth the slots it costs....does it benefit a lower circled Cleric vs a higher circled one? Or does circle make any kind of a difference?

~Gab
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/27/2017 08:10 AM CDT

The messaging has been amazing, and I think it's the mark of a great world that we can debate what's going on both IC and OOC. Major props all around for the High Sorceries, especially so with this one!
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/27/2017 08:10 AM CDT
Sorry for the double post -

>They're all transcendent necromancers!

Tee hee!
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/28/2017 12:17 AM CDT
>>They're all transcendent necromancers!

I really hope this isn't the case, or the implication.

From a storytelling perspective, that's definitely an interesting change of pace, but as a Kaldar player it would be disappointing. We've always had the Kermorian pantheon, then Rakash got their special favors, and Prydaen got their special favors, but Kaldar/Gnome players wanting access to their pantheon are out of luck?
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/28/2017 07:05 AM CDT
Two things come to mind.

1) Unless my memory is betraying me, the original Kaldar/Gnome migration to the provinces was spurred by fleeing religious persecution in their desire to worship the 13. They and their descendants then don't really have a call to cultural ownership of the Alaudian gods but instead a unique flavor of Immortals worship -- which is exactly what's been written and discussed at length in previous years.

2) Not every divine being is built equally. The Alaudian gods are, for reasons implied but not explicated, not in the favor business. This certainly can lead to a crisis of faith in a people who've become used to proactive interference and gratification in their deities. But that's not bad, that's not a fault; that's an element of the story being told.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/28/2017 09:41 AM CDT

>I really hope this isn't the case, or the implication.

Out of curiosity, why? I think the notion that mortals in Elanthia have been doing weird stuff for a long time, and that 'Transcending as a Necromancer' can take a lot of different flavors is a pretty cool notion. That religion in Elanthia is itself a mixed bag better described as 'Applied Theology' than 'Philosophical Musings on the Divine' is a nice icing on that.
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/28/2017 10:22 AM CDT
>>> Favors just isn't a thing that's associated with the Alaudian gods. There's a reason for this, but right now we're implying it in the context and messaging rather than flat out spoiling it.

Since my cleric can't (presumably yet) align with Alaudian gods, would someone be willing to share the messaging to satisfy my curiosity?
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/28/2017 10:36 AM CDT
I thought everyone already came to terms with the fact that "god" in Elanthia means "really big deal king" more than "RL concept of god".

Immortals are just extra-planar beings, like demons, with a really good PR agent. Could a Necro get to the same level as those Immortals/demons/etc? Probably. Empaths may have done it a few times in the past before other things made it so they couldn't anymore.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/28/2017 12:20 PM CDT

>I thought everyone already came to terms with the fact that "god" in Elanthia means "really big deal king" more than "RL concept of god".

There are 100% individuals who both RP characters who don't believe this, and themselves as players don't believe this.

>Immortals are just extra-planar beings, like demons, with a really good PR agent. Could a Necro get to the same level as those Immortals/demons/etc? Probably. Empaths may have done it a few times in the past before other things made it so they couldn't anymore.

I don't now how much of this is public knowledge yet, so I'm hesitant to start asking some lore questions, but I think there's a lot of very interesting discussions to be had between Clerics, Moonies, and Necromancers regarding this matter, and I really hope these discussions can start moving out of being solely had by either Necromeetings or Inquisitors.
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/28/2017 04:07 PM CDT
> I thought everyone already came to terms with the fact that "god" in Elanthia means "really big deal king" more than "RL concept of god".

You'll need to define "RL concept of god". The term has meant many different things, historically.

I would define a god as one who receives cult, by which standard the Ten and the Thirteen are certainly gods. So is the World Dragon.
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/28/2017 05:04 PM CDT
>>There are 100% individuals who both RP characters who don't believe this, and themselves as players don't believe this.

Agreed, but if a poster is saying "I hope this isn't true", I'm assuming that's the player hoping something isn't true, not their character, and I think the OOC explainers we've had throughout the years are clearly indicating that we're looking more at the "and they can get killed because they're just really strong" versions of the classical Greek gods than, like, something that is all-powerful like a Judeo-Christian interpretation.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/28/2017 05:28 PM CDT
DR's concept of gods is something that's a weird borg of the two so I don't blame anyone for being confused. Greek gods is closer to the mark than Judeo-Christian God, though.

That said, we do play with the notion that there is a (forgive the term) transcendent place for divinity that either directly created or otherwise has some sort of universal authority over the Plane of Abiding. While there is no Judeo-Christian God equivalent in DR in terms of omnipotence and omniscience, the qualities of creator/master is thrown in there.

How far this creation/authority spreads beyond the Plane of Abiding is questionable. The Plane of Probability and Elemental Planes seem to play by their own rules, and demons come from somewhere. But still, nobody's ever really had the opportunity to do trans-planar applied theology.

-Armifer
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/29/2017 02:00 AM CDT
>1) Unless my memory is betraying me, the original Kaldar/Gnome migration to the provinces was spurred by fleeing religious persecution in their desire to worship the 13. They and their descendants then don't really have a call to cultural ownership of the Alaudian gods but instead a unique flavor of Immortals worship -- which is exactly what's been written and discussed at length in previous years.

You're largely correct on this, and my main (Malkien) does worship the 13. Though you are approaching the decision from that as someone who creates in-game lore yourself, I'm approaching it as someone who has explored the dynamics of playing various Kaldar players.

Logically, most Kaldar at this point would be second/third generation, and the dynamic between struggling with integration and returning to "your roots" (i.e. in this case, the Gorbesh) is IMO the most interesting dynamic available to a Kaldar PC. Just look at the player-created Kaldar titles as an example; I don't want to put words into the mouths of active players who can speak for themselves, but clearly there is player interest in the Alaudian pantheon.

I know I personally have requested them at various times, but the blunt fact is that without mechanical support for favors, that roleplay avenue is closed. Malkien worships the 13 because I as a player had no choice, and it's far too late to change that decision now.

>Out of curiosity, why? I think the notion that mortals in Elanthia have been doing weird stuff for a long time, and that 'Transcending as a Necromancer' can take a lot of different flavors is a pretty cool notion. That religion in Elanthia is itself a mixed bag better described as 'Applied Theology' than 'Philosophical Musings on the Divine' is a nice icing on that.

I thought I had spelled it out already, but I'll attempt to do so more explicitly.

Various Kaldar players, myself included, have been asking for a method of obtaining favors from the Albarian pantheon for years. It's been shot down repeatedly, with lore being the basis of it, and now this latest lore development seems to be taking it off the table entirely.

I understand from a lore perspective that asking "why not Eu favors?" and "why not Tieheq favors?" are necessarily different, since the Prydaen migration had no subtext of wishing to escape their "old" culture.

Still, I've been OOCly asking for Alaudian favors for years, as have various Kaldar PCs, and being the only race that can't worship deities associated with their traditional background burns in my craw. Friggin Asketi is interested in granting mortals favors, but Meiron (protective/nurturing Alaudian god) isn't? Necromancers have mechanical support for openly defying the Gods, but a Tieheq favor is a step too far? I just don't get it.

I don't care if Tieheq is "mean," make the favor orbs drain vitality, or something.
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/29/2017 02:04 AM CDT
Also, the lore with this spell is amazing, so (Armifer) please don't take my frustration with the lore direction too much to heart. I wish you would do some work on Rangers or Paladins or Barbarians or Thieves, your gift for lore creation is awesome.
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/29/2017 06:56 AM CDT
I don't take it personally, but I am despairing a little that I can't really direct your line of thinking without being obvious about where we're going with the Alaudian gods. I suppose the safest thing for me to suggest is that it... isn't a random or unfathomable feature of the Alaudian gods that was decided on whim, but a natural consequence of other decisions regarding how divinity works in the game.

It's certainly unfair to the Alaudian gods, but so is gravity to the falling man. I guess to me the greater question is "Is it unfair to the players?" and I... don't honestly think so? From my perspective the Alaudian gods (and Alaudian everything, broadly speaking) exists to help tell the stories we're trying to tell. I do see them as in a support role rather than as full fledged actors in the story. Future GMs may want to use them more actively, and may even retcon what we're doing now. And that'll be their right. I can only do what I perceive as best for the story, and let the rest shake out as the years go on.

-Armifer
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/29/2017 08:55 AM CDT

> Necromancers have mechanical support for openly defying the Gods, but a Tieheq favor is a step too far? I just don't get it.

My personal view, but I think you're onto something here.

>I would define a god as one who receives cult, by which standard the Ten and the Thirteen are certainly gods. So is the World Dragon.

So this is heavily influenced by some books I've read recently which feel SUPER tied to DR lore, and also my own views as someone who mains a Necromancer -

I would define a God in DR space as an extraplanar being who manifests their will in the Plane of Abiding as a function of how much 'bandwidth' they apply to the manifestation/incursion. They derive power or seek to use/consume 'spirit' energy, which is fundamental to the Divine Plane, and also ODDLY, something mortals (and probs other entities!) have. Accordingly, "worship" in DR space is not the same as worship in RL space - when mortals place bits of their spirit into favor orbs and offer those orbs to the 13, it's more akin to depositing money in the bank or handing a platinum to a merchant than it is a matter of 'faith as we understand it in RL space'. It's a contract. You, the mortal adventurer, offer a bit of spirit, and in exchange, FOR WHATEVER REASON, one of the 13 (all of them?) prevent your soul from departing forever on death. "Faith" in DR space is of course ALSO the sort of "faith" we have in RL space, belief without tangible return, but in DR space for adventurers, it takes a different spin because of the contractual nature of favors.

Which certainly makes demons, or the Alaudian pantheon, a rather, I would say, telling bit of... I dunno, outline? underline? extra example? to what these entities are, and why they do or don't do a thing.

AND MAYBE even tells us a little about what demons or the Alaudian pantheon may want, or have wanted?
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/29/2017 10:51 AM CDT
This was my character's view a decade+ ago, and I'm sure things are more fleshed out by now in terms of the lore, but going back to the "immortals = really big kings" thing I just assumed there weren't Tieheq favors because they rule over there and Immortals rule over here, and if Humans migrated to Gorbesh-town they'd be lamenting why Chadatru can't just grant favors for people living in another ruler's kingdom. In other words, it's like asking why Vorclaf can't pardon someone who committed crimes and is jailed in Qi: it ain't under his rule.

Alternatively, the Alaudian pantheon might just have a different idea of what souls need to do, and it doesn't serve their needs to keep people alive. If you're constantly sending your best heroes back to the land of the living, you're not going to give Orisas much of an army to use during the end-days.

Immortals keep the hero class/select people alive for their reasons. Extra-planar demonic forces do the same. If the Alaudian pantheon is on the same power-level/capability as the Kermorian pantheon, they might just not see a good reason to do so, or feel that it's counter-productive to their own goals.

Re: Aspects of the All God 06/29/2017 11:27 AM CDT
>>> If the Alaudian pantheon is on the same power-level/capability as the Kermorian pantheon, they might just not see a good reason to do so, or feel that it's counter-productive to their own goals.

Perhaps the Alaudian pantheon originates from a plane other than the Spiritual Plane. If that is the case, one might need to consider how are they different from demons.
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/29/2017 12:01 PM CDT
>>Perhaps the Alaudian pantheon originates from a plane other than the Spiritual Plane. If that is the case, one might need to consider how are they different from demons.

That would be amusing as hell, but isn't the plane demons come from still a big question mark? They might come from the spiritual plane, as well.

Re: Aspects of the All God 06/29/2017 12:04 PM CDT
>>That would be amusing as hell, but isn't the plane demons come from still a big question mark?

Yup. They're from "not around here," but that's as far as common knowledge goes.

-Armifer
Re: Aspects of the All God 06/29/2017 12:49 PM CDT

Will it be possible by some means to get a post title "of <alternate god/Alaudian god>"