back and spells empty again 06/06/2017 05:59 PM CDT
i am back from a long break, see i get to repick spells. now seems like a good time to renew the debate, what new spells am i missing out on? i have picked all the spells i remembered i wanted, and have about 10 slots left, (i notice some of these spells take more than one slot)

are any of these worth it?
eyhlaars feast
soul attrition
chill spirit - i vaguely remember this one being awesome.
soul shield
ghost shroud
fires of ushnish
spite of dergati
merauds cry
idons theft
time of the red spiral - i have hh and he already

any thoughts appreciated. IC, i spend time helping people and fighting evil equally.

Rabee
Re: back and spells empty again 06/06/2017 06:03 PM CDT
Have you chosen any magical feats? They also require spell slots.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Magical_feats
Re: back and spells empty again 06/06/2017 07:22 PM CDT
>are any of these worth it?

Obviously a lot depends on personal preference and hunting style.

For cursed/undead swarms Time of the Red Spiral is a nice compliment to HH and HE, imho. It kills very fast and trains TM well.

Then for creatures that are not undead or cursed, FoU is another good area effect spell. It also can kill very fast and trains TM well.

~Gab
Re: back and spells empty again 06/06/2017 07:51 PM CDT
FoU, ToTRS and the magical feats of raw channeling and efficient harnessing would be my recommendation. FoU is our only non-undead AOE TM. If you like to fight the undead and you've got HE and HH you might as well get the occasional extra damage and cool messaging from ToTRS.

If you're interested in casting other guilds' non-holy spells (sorcerously), using non-holy magic runestones and/or want the option to play with the future antinomic sorcery spellbook I'd recommend the magic theorist, improved memory and (when you have the sorcery ranks for it) the sorcerous patterns magical feats.

I'd also recommend leaving yourself at least 2 or 3 spell slots open until you get fully back up to speed.

I love Ghost Shroud (as a Moon Mage) to easily train sorcery and warding. Unless you regularly hunt spellcasters or archers it's not a must-have imo.
Re: back and spells empty again 06/06/2017 10:23 PM CDT
yea it sounds like i have alot to learn about the feats and sorcery, too, then. when i last left Elanthia, necromancers and sorcery were a "someday" dream.

anyone have more opinions on the feats?
Re: back and spells empty again 06/07/2017 07:27 AM CDT
>anyone have more opinions on the feats?

Mandatory: Deep Attunement, Raw Channeling

Heavily Suggested: Injured Casting, Efficient Channeling, Dedicated Cambrinth Use

I'd add Sorcerous patterns to the heavily suggested list if you plan on learning Sorcery (which almost everyone does).
Re: back and spells empty again 06/07/2017 12:57 PM CDT
>Mandatory: Deep Attunement

Out of curiosity why do you consider Deep Attunement mandatory? To quote Padhg's player from a thread 8 months ago:

"..Skip the Deep Attunement feat. You have POM, and it's much more awesome. Besides 0.25% of 100 mana pool is equivalent to 1 mana every 24 seconds. I would never spend a spell slot for 3 mana a minute...."

This is an interesting cleric spells thread btw (and the source of that quote):

http://www.tinyheroes.com/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Clerics/Magic%20Talk%20~%20Current%20Cleric%20Magic/thread/1811289
Re: back and spells empty again 06/07/2017 04:35 PM CDT

what makes raw channeling a mandatory, too?
Re: back and spells empty again 06/07/2017 04:45 PM CDT
>what makes raw channeling a mandatory, too?

Raw channeling takes cyclic spell mana maintenance and more or less makes it a non-issue.

Without raw channeling:
Prep cyclic spell at X mana
Harness X mana (roundtime)
Cast spell.
Spell eats mana at each pulse
Get stuck in RT and you don't have enough mana harnessed to power the spell, the spell fails.
Forget to harness, spell isn't powered and fails.
Harness too much mana for your skills or due to a typo - nerve damage.

With raw channeling:
Prep cyclic spell at X mana.
Cast spell.
As long as you have mana in your mana pool your spell is powered and persists until you release it.
Re: back and spells empty again 06/08/2017 12:33 AM CDT
Hmm, good point, I had forgotten about the mana regen rework. I'm thinking regen still factors in percentage of your pool, making it incredibly important to stay near max mana. This is no longer the case, so you can strike Deep Attunement from the list. I wouldn't even put it under "heavily suggested" anymore, I'd just list it as "considered."

Definitely still want to pick up Raw Channeling, it makes using the various cyclical spells so much easier.