Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/24/2016 09:08 PM CDT
I'm trying to figure out how to best spend my spell slots and am hoping that I can get some advice. I'm trying to be able to rezz at 30th, but also need to be able to be an effective fighter. I'm not much of a socializer (being in Plat, it's not an option).

My current spells are: Bless, HE, DR, TOTRS, FF, Rejuvenation, Centering, SICK, PFE, MPP and MAPP.
19th circle, with one spell slot available and no feats other than the guild ones.

I know I need to get Vigil and SB at some point in the next 10 circles, but beyond that, I don't know what's good, so how should I spend my slots up through 30th or 35th or so?

TIA!

__
A swamp troll looks at you.
Re: Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/25/2016 01:57 AM CDT

Since you mentioned effective fighter, shield of light would be a solid option. Also Benediction sometime after 30th.

You'll also want the raw channeling feat for when you can raise to ease the process considerably and not worry about holding mana for the cyclic.
Re: Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/25/2016 09:02 AM CDT
>>I know I need to get Vigil and SB at some point in the next 10 circles, but beyond that, I don't know what's good, so how should I spend my slots up through 30th or 35th or so?

PoM is a MUST for any raising Cleric. I would strongly suggest OM as well.

~Gab
Re: Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/25/2016 05:43 PM CDT
My highly-opinionated suggestions on top of what you've chosen already. I don't mean you have to follow this line by line, but it should give you a plan to work from.

19. -
20. Shield of Light (SOL)
21. -
23. Sanctify Pattern (SAP)
24. -
25. Persistence of Mana (POM)
26. Improvised Rituals (feat)
27. Raw Channeling (feat)
28. Uncurse
29. Mass Rejuvenation (MRE)
30. Resurrection (REZZ)

Suggested priorities circle 30-50:
* Harm Horde since you're already using TOTRS
* Benediction
* Cautious Casting feat significantly reduces nerve damage from backfires
* Injured Casting feat reduces backfires and makes casting easier when you need it
* Ghost Shroud is the best Warding trainer and needs 250 Warding
* Targeted Mastery feat. You'll want this with Harm Horde for the Murrula's Flame quest.
* Keep using SICK until you work your way up to Malediction (MALE) and Hydra Hex (HYH). This needs 250 Debilitation.
* Osrel Meraud to keep buffs up
* Auspice with Eylhaar's Feast / Bitter Feast have so much utility. Emergency vitality in battle and extra attunement when rezzing.
* Consider switching FF to HORN, and then pick up Aesrela Everild (AE) with Heavenly Fires. HORN + AE gives you more options. Horn works better on opponents with strong armor.

Things people will suggest but I say differently:
* Skip the Deep Attunement feat. You have POM, and it's much more awesome. Besides 0.25% of 100 mana pool is equivalent to 1 mana every 24 seconds. I would never spend a spell slot for 3 mana a minute.
* Skip Soul Attrition (SA) and Chill Spirit (CHS) until much, much later
* Hold off on Osrel Meraud until you're 250+ in all your magics. Yes, OM makes life more convenient but you need magic training. You have to cast spells to learn, and constantly refreshing buffs keeps Augmentation and Warding moving.

Things to make sure you train:
* To learn infusion at circle 25 you need a minimum of 125 Attunement
* To learn resurrection at circle 30 you need a minimum of 100 Athletics
* To effectively use resurrection, you'll want at least 150 Utility
* You'll need more than 220 TM for the circle 40 Fires of Ushnish quest
* Keep your Discipline ahead of your other mentals through Circle 50. Shoot for 40+ Discipline for the Murrula's Flame quest.
* Don't neglect Charisma! You need at least 30 for the circle 50 quest.
Re: Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/25/2016 05:50 PM CDT

This is good, but replace improvised rituals with soul bonding, no?
Re: Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/25/2016 07:15 PM CDT
Good catch, that's what I get for copy/paste my other notes.

28. Uncurse should be Soul Bonding. You're going to need it to raise a corpse.

Uncurse is useful, but I wouldn't consider it a priority until you're ready for Malediction.
Re: Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/25/2016 09:14 PM CDT
Thanks for all the help. It clears up a lot. I've never gotten a cleric this far, so this is all new territory for me. I try to keep debil at about the same level as my weapons, so I should have the skill to cast Malediction in about 5 circles. Should I get it sooner and maybe push POM and REZZ later?

I found a Hand of Tenemlor scroll. Is it worth learning?

__
A swamp troll looks at you.
Re: Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/25/2016 09:19 PM CDT

It is still ok to allow your spell progression to match your play style to some extent also. What does your cleric focus on ect. Give your cleric an identity and let that factor into spell progression.

Just a feeble old swamp shaman
Re: Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/25/2016 09:42 PM CDT
Just remember along with the spells to train up your athletics and attunement, or else you won't be able to get through the Infusion nor the Resurrection quests.
Re: Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/25/2016 10:26 PM CDT
First understand that playing a cleric requires patience. I'm pretty sure anyone who has trained a cleric at some point put a quest on hold for several circles while they backtrained a skill needed to complete it.

The rest of the questions are really up to you.

* Malediction is great, one of my favorite debilitation spells. Resurrection is also an amazing Utility training spell.
* Persistence of Mana is the single greatest boost to Attunement you can get. It's that good.
* Hand of Tenemlor turns your hand into a charred stump. It's an interesting choice. Not my thing, but maybe it becomes yours?
Re: Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/25/2016 11:24 PM CDT

> * Malediction is great, one of my favorite debilitation spells. Resurrection is also an amazing Utility training spell.

In my opinion, hydra hex, POM, Res, and OM (I've converted) are the defining cleric abilities. Those are the ones that make me go, I want to play with the cleric today. That and Harm Horde + TORS. That's just fun.
Re: Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/25/2016 11:34 PM CDT
Sorry for the double post.

> Thanks for all the help. It clears up a lot. I've never gotten a cleric this far, so this is all new territory for me. I try to keep debil at about the same level as my weapons, so I should have the skill to cast Malediction in about 5 circles. Should I get it sooner and maybe push POM and REZZ later?

I think POM is far more important at lower levels than people give it credit for. You don't have the attunement to chain cast, and you're just starting to get to the point where you can cast symbiosis. That 40-50 mana range is rough on your attunement.

Rezz is much, much less important at lower circles than people first think. The people who need it most (high level, hard to find spell scrolls) are going to get the least benefit (30+ minutes to find a 100+ soul at 30 with 5 mana infuses).
Re: Spell progression for a young cleric? 10/26/2016 08:01 AM CDT
Yep, I'd grab OM and POM as soon as possible and pass on rezz at 30. I'd wait till 40+ for that one, if not 50+.