Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/08/2016 10:19 AM CST
Hello,

Just woke up my cleric (a spry 84 y.o. human) who has been largely dormant since the turn of the century. I've done a lot of reading, a fair amount of PAFO, but have some questions that I could use some help with.

I have to repeat my commune quests--I'm not sure why this is true, but I read that it is, and I see that I don't have access to them. I imagine that it is easy as going through them the same way I did the first time--if not, I'd be glad to know.

For those of you who find these topics repetitive drudgery, I apologize in advance.

POM -- well this has changed a lot. I have acquired a foci (the alabaster staff), and I believe I understand the concept, but the mechanics escape me entirely. Is this something I am supposed to wrestle with (like some manner of IG secret) or have I just missed the detailed step listing?

Resurrection -- we still call it Rezz (bah). Am I right that it no longer can be placed into the OM orb, or have I just failed mechanically with this?

Soul Bond -- used to be that if the body wasn't healed up sufficiently, the soul couldn't be bonded. That made sense. This morning I had trouble binding a healed corpse. Someone else, helpfully, stepped in. The result of my casts were: "Your spell unravels, unable to effect DEADGUY in any manner."

Theurgy -- as I understand this, moving this is a rinse/repeat sort of thing--devotion ritual to build the pool/communes to empty it. Theurgy moves. Is that about right?

I appreciate any help that you can offer.

I.
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/08/2016 10:37 AM CST
Not a cleric, but I do have a few answers for you.

<<POM -- well this has changed a lot. I have acquired a foci (the alabaster staff), and I believe I understand the concept, but the mechanics escape me entirely. Is this something I am supposed to wrestle with (like some manner of IG secret) or have I just missed the detailed step listing?

You have all the materials, but I think you're probably missing a feat. Casting a ritual spell requires a focus, but there's different kinds. There are various powders, dyes, and such that come with charges that work for specific spellbooks only, and these don't require any additional knowledge to use. The staves and other non-charged ones, however, are realm-attuned Foci that will work for any spell of a mana type, and they require a feat called Improvised Rituals in order to use. If you're not sure about what a feat is then you read up here:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Magical_Feat

<<Resurrection -- we still call it Rezz (bah). Am I right that it no longer can be placed into the OM orb, or have I just failed mechanically with this?

It's a cyclic spell spell now, so you have to either continuously replenish held mana or cambrinth or know the Raw Channeling feat in order to have it automatically come from your attunement. I don't know the specific mechanics of raising, but it does make use of infusion as well, although I'm not sure it functions with orbs anymore.

<<Theurgy -- as I understand this, moving this is a rinse/repeat sort of thing--devotion ritual to build the pool/communes to empty it. Theurgy moves. Is that about right?

Pretty much. Once you get Meraud's Commune again if you don't currently have it then it becomes easier to manage and I think can be done in combat as well since it alters the room you're in to be consecrated ground and devotional rituals will work there for the duration. I.e. you don't have to run around everywhere just to gain devotion to spend on communes to train your theurgy. You can do it in one spot.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/08/2016 11:06 AM CST
The last 2 pages list step by step for resurrection. You'll want to know infusion if that's a quest you have to redo.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Infusion

https://tenikesylofr.wordpress.com/2014/05/09/guide-to-resurrection/

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Resurrection

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/08/2016 12:05 PM CST

>I have to repeat my commune quests
Several of them had their effects changed or updated so we get the fun of repeating the quests. You shouldn't have a problem with it. (Plus there's a new one for Clerics of circle 60+.)
>POM
Already been commented on but I'll add that I prefer to use the specific focus (inkwell sold at Herilo's for PoM) instead of the generic staff that requires an extra feat.
>Soul Bond
Honestly, I can't think of a reason for this to happen. Unless the dead guy happened to no longer be dead in which case SB may have thought you were trying to use it's debilitation feature instead.
>Resurrection
Already commented on.
>Theurgy
Yeah, that's pretty much how it works.
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/08/2016 12:23 PM CST

Two great responses--thank you
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/08/2016 01:56 PM CST

make a small little script to put POM in your OM orb and you will be golden. I use a charm for a foci instead of the staff but you can get the general idea from this little short script

put prep pom
put charge my torq 32
pause
pause
put invoke my torq
pause
pause
pause
put charge my armb 32
pause
pause
put charge my choke 32
pause
pause
put invoke my armb
pause
pause
put invoke camb choke
pause
pause
put get my charm from my cloak
put invoke my charm
pause
pause
put touch orb
pause
pause .1
put put charm in cloak

Res my advice would be make sure you don't have a cyc spell up, discern res to see what you can cast it at. drop a point or two under your max say if you discern you can cast at 28 prep res 25. it basically is a held mana type spell driven by utility magic skill. infuse the spell with less than or equal to the mana you prepped at. so if put it up at 25 mana I would infuse at 24 mana into it at the time. With Pom up it is not that hard.

WELCOME BACK! I made it back a few months ago myself and went through what your going through. If i can be of help please hit me up in game any time. Cadderrly

The feeble old swamp shaman
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/08/2016 02:06 PM CST
Depending on the front end you're using, you can replace multiple pauses with 'pause X' where X is a value in seconds.

I think it works in SF, know it works in Genie3.

Also, why are you charging 3 devices? Is it because the touch orb command is so RT intensive? From a mana/arcana standpoint it's about the same to just charge one device a ton.
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/08/2016 02:16 PM CST

they only hold 32 mana each..... so i charge three of them. sometimes if i want a really strong pom I will use my camb orb and add an extra 100 mana to the spell but really seems to work fine with just adding the 96 mana to it.
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/08/2016 02:17 PM CST

Nice

All very good feedback--I very much appreciate it. Waking up after a long nap can be darned intimidating!
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/08/2016 04:36 PM CST
>>>> sometimes if i want a really strong pom I will use my camb orb and add an extra 100 mana to the spell but really seems to work fine with just adding the 96 mana to it.

Just out of curiosity, Why aren't you just straight casting it at the amount you want to put into it? I am pretty sure that I tested it and foci work like this (the numbers are made up):

1) 300 mana cast + Foci = 30 mana consumed
2) 600 mana cast + Foci = 60 mana consumed
3) 300 mana cast + 300 harnessed/cambrinth + Foci = 330 mana consumed

My testing:
300 Mana POM: 25% Attunement lost
200 Mana POM + 25x4 Cambrinh charges: 50% Mana Lost (I may have also regenerated some mana given the time involved charging)
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/08/2016 09:33 PM CST

I think I figured out the problem with Soul Bond. I have neglected to pick up the Vigil spell, and so SB is only good (for me) for its other purpose.
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/09/2016 02:12 AM CST

Also, if you're going to put up PoM (or any other buffs into your orb), cast an augmentation SAP to boost augment, which let ya cast a higher PoM for more effectiveness. I was capping PoM well earlier than I should have been between SAP, the augment mastery, and the alignment bonus. A maxed out spell draws about the same power as a min prep spell from an orb so no sense in not getting the best you can out of it.
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/10/2016 05:31 AM CST
Bit late, I'll just respond to what's not accurately covered by people before.

>I have to repeat my commune quests--I'm not sure why this is true, but I read that it is, and I see that I don't have access to them. I imagine that it is easy as going through them the same way I did the first time--if not, I'd be glad to know.

Yes. They are out of order for people redoing, compared to people circling for the first time though. I think you redo the second one, before the first one, and then in order after that.

>POM+focus

I don't go with the improved rituals feat to use "better" foci. But assuming that the lack of feat isn't your problem, you'd just prep the spell, INVOKE the focus (staff, or inkwell), and then treat it like normal. I just "acquire" the inkwell for free and it's got dozens of uses each. Thrown into an OM orb and I hardly need to recast it for a long time.

>Resurrection, infuse, and OM

OM is basically a way of turning standard buffs into very long lasting buffs that you have to keep the orb happy. Except for HALO.

Resurrection just runs now that you prep the spell at the mana you want to infuse at, and it sucks that amount of mana from you every time it pulses for mana to continue the spell every few seconds. Can harness to infuse, can INFUSE to feed directly into the rezz spell with skill (not sure how much it takes, my 80 Cleric with 500+ Utility can do it, my 40 Cleric with 200 Utility can't), and the Raw Channeling feat makes it so you don't have to keep mana harnessed to feed the cyclic. Raw Channeling is, without a doubt, THE most essential feat for any person that runs any cyclic, ever. Which is pretty much everyone.

>SB and not affecting a corpse

Actually, as one with a fairly freshly obtained Rezz quest, I can guarantee that the injury check is on the GESTURE because that happened to me a couple nights ago, not casting the SB, that went fine. I'd hazard a guess that that corpse was a (favorless) Necro with significant DO and was unable to be affected by beneficial holy spells. They just...don't work. Oh, and also, you can't resurrect people with zero favors or who died a spirit death. Pointless to even try. And Paladins lost their spell to give a favor to a (favorless) person/corpse. It does other things now.

>Theurgy

Yeah, that's about right. I'm in the COMMUNE MERAUD crowd, although there's also the COMMUNE TRUFF crowd.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/10/2016 01:32 PM CST
>Also, if you're going to put up PoM (or any other buffs into your orb), cast an augmentation SAP to boost augment, which let ya cast a higher PoM for more effectiveness. I was capping PoM well earlier than I should have been between SAP, the augment mastery, and the alignment bonus. A maxed out spell draws about the same power as a min prep spell from an orb so no sense in not getting the best you can out of it.<

Well....color me confused. I always cast PoM at the bare minimum as I put it into my orb because I thought casting at max only affects the duration of this type of spell (if using it standalone) and not the "potency".

So...what exactly is the benefit of maxing out a cast of PoM when putting it into an orb as VS a minimum cast?

~Gab
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/10/2016 01:41 PM CST
The effect of PoM is an increase to your max attunement and attunement regeneration. Putting more mana into a spell gives you a greater increase to both. Putting it into an orb lets you maintain duration far longer than you would otherwise be able even taking into account the longer duration of a ritual spell, but has no effect on the potency, whether positively or negatively. I.e. you want to do both in order to maximize both potency and duration.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Help for a recently returned Cleric 01/10/2016 03:56 PM CST
Translation: Prep the biggest base prep you can to put into the orb.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear