Cleric Spell priority/advice 04/12/2019 08:10 AM CDT
So looking at what clerics can do these days and reading more about Antinomic Sorcery has pushed me into giving it a go. Being able to hunt undead easily is also a big bonus. But when looking at the spell tree there seems to be a ton of good options, but wanted some experienced folks to chime in on a few things to see if some spells/paths are really as good as they sound (this is all with respect to PvE):

1) Spiritual Combat (Auspice, SA, CS, AE, etc).
This looks like a solid single target combo against the living. Run SA, cast AE, then balance the spirit hits with CS while buffed with Auspice. Does it actually work that way? Is it worth the effort?

2) Cyclics (GS, HYH, SA, REV)
Was kinda surprised to find clerics have cyclics for all skill sets. I know some are top tier (HYH, possibly SA), but what about the other 2? I know sometimes it's worth picking them up just for training purposes. I hear/read good things about Ghost Shroud, so the one I am really curious about is Revelation.

3) Sorcery
Beyond Antinomic Sorcery itself, there isn't a ton out there that looks to really improve an aspect that clerics can't already do. Maybe stealth which I don't train. Are there recommendations that people like that aren't at risk of blowing up body parts that help fill the cleric's toolkit out? (Training isn't a big deal, I can just use TKT or something even though it'll feel boring compared to my own options).

4) Priority
Is there something I should focus on getting first? I'm already close to filling out defense buffs (centering, mpp, mapp, maf already taken), everything else is setup for training skill sets. HYH looks like the 50th circle target, but what else is a "can't miss as soon as you can get it"?
Re: Cleric Spell priority/advice 04/12/2019 09:13 AM CDT

You're really going to want almost everything, especially if you're hunting undead, which you should, clerics are Gods when hunting undead.

Situationally useful:

- ALL, adjusting your +/- on spell mods is nice since it stacks with skill buffs.

- HALO, put in the orb as an emergency move if stunned.

- MF, you don't really die enough to make this worth it IMO, but it's nice that one time a year when you die a lot.

- SoS or CHS, not required, but it makes AE easier to cast.

- GG, drink creation is okay from an RP point of view and +wisdom is sometimes nice.

- GHS, great anti-ranged cyclic and nice trainer; however, HYH is good enough for PvE.

- HE, it's a decent undead spell, and it brings you to HH. HH is the best AOE TM spell in the game.

- TORS. Great for farming, but you'll already hit really hard with HH. You don't really need this one outside of very specific situations.

- Uncurse. You rarely use it, but when you need it, you WANT it.

- CoZ. It's okay when you're single target against a heavily armored opponent, but I prefer MALE's -DF for PvE.

I wouldn't worry about these:

- Revelation. If you can't see your opponent, you'll probably need HYH or GHS to survive.

- Mass Rejuve. I can't think of a time where this was needed, and you'll have a lot of clerics around when you would normally want to use it.

- Spite. Really only good against moon mages and maybe traders.

- Meraud's Cry. Spirit health dispel. not really something you'll use in PvE, and costly for PvP (time + resources).

- Idorn's theft. Gimmicky spell. You'll never use it outside of occasional shenanigans. Requires sorcery.

- EF/BF. There really isn't a time when I want to convert spirit to fatigue/mana by casting a spell, and the blood staunch commune makes vitality less important.

Don't forget about tatoos or your two scroll slots (sorcery or not):

- Paladin spells (no sorcery required): Courage, Righteous Wrath, Anti-stun, RUE, shatter.

- Moon mage spells: Shadows, CV (if you don't want Rev, but need perception), MT (crafting/picking).

- Trader spells: PHK, TURI (CV, but better), TRC (another damage barrier), AVA (second stealth buff/penalty)

- AP spells: MAF, Ease, GAF
Re: Cleric Spell priority/advice 04/12/2019 09:48 AM CDT
Thanks for the rundown. In my head everything you mentioned lined up with what I more or less expected. Any thoughts though on Spirit Combat or would I be better off making undead combat a priority? I figure with HYH+MAL and throwing out HH would just be devastating with undead hunting, but the early undead critter ladder isn't great. I can certainly make due with general buffs, soul sickness and FF against the living without needing to delve into spirit combat, but it looks fun on paper.

The paladin spells are also exactly why I am waffling on Sorcery. Getting access to RW and RUE really shores up what clerics are missing, weapon buffs, and they happen to be native mana. I was considering MT since I like doing boxes and it would be the most accessible locks buff, but being intermediate may mean blowing hands off even with the feat? CV was on my radar, but then I was thinking just use Revelation with the bonus of having a way to cyclic train Aug/Util (and scroll slots/tattoos are precious).

I like though that there is always going to be something to look forward to spell-wise.
Re: Cleric Spell priority/advice 04/12/2019 12:20 PM CDT
SHIFT3 had some good advice and I agree with most of it. Nice thing about Clerics....because of our training options, you will get a different answer to a single question from every Cleric you ask.

I would strongly suggest adding Benediction and OM to your "priority" list.

>>- GG, drink creation is okay from an RP point of view and +wisdom is sometimes nice.

SHIFT3 seriously underrated this spell imho. In addition to the wisdom boost (I keep it in my orb 100% of the time) being able to snapcast a drink and then commune to Truffeyni makes for a very nice boost to Theurgy.

My biggest piece of advice? Train attunement like your life depended upon it.

~Gab
Re: Cleric Spell priority/advice 04/12/2019 01:03 PM CDT

Spirit combat doesn't really work against undead. SA and CHS give them health rather than taking it.

If you want to be a God of undead combat, I'd recommend the following:

- Defensive kit: MPP, MAF, PFE, SOL, DR, MALE + HYH

- Offensive Kit: Bless, HE, HH, DR

- Utility kit: DR, BENE, OM + POM

- Optional: Halo, Uncurse, SoS (useful in maybe 2 areas each)

Grab Courage and RW from the paladin kit if you don't want to risk sorcery.
Re: Cleric Spell priority/advice 04/12/2019 01:06 PM CDT

> SHIFT3 seriously underrated this spell imho. In addition to the wisdom boost (I keep it in my orb 100% of the time) being able to snapcast a drink and then commune to Truffeyni makes for a very nice boost to Theurgy.

Fair points, but still not something I'd grab early on. I just use "forage rock" for Truffeyni. Now, if it produced sacramental wine instead. That would make it work picking up.
Re: Cleric Spell priority/advice 04/12/2019 05:52 PM CDT

HH is great but if you're not hunting undead you're going to want FF. Multiple orbs smacking a single target makes for good training. I used to be big on hunting undead but this was back when we didn't really have any TM spells for living creatures.

Speaking for PvE GHS is great at lower levels but once you reach about 1000 the training tapers off and it's pretty worthless (for PvE), not a great reason to not pick it up early on though. Revelation falls into the same boat IMO.

One spell no one mentioned is SICK. This is a pretty impressive debilitator. With HYH running Male and casting SICK I can train weapons in the mid 300s in Juvinile Wyverns.

If you're going to be using a lot of spirit attacks like SA and AE don't neglect Charisma. It's the biggest factor in spirit health.