mech lore conversion 07/10/2017 01:25 PM CDT

hi, just polling who converted mech lore already and the pro/cons. anyone still holding out for enchanting? i was getting ready to convert to engineering, but the only appeal to me is that 25 years from now i might be able to carve a crossbow. i hear that prayer beads still dont function very well under engineering rules?

i still hunt with old 10-sec light crossbows because i like the way it looks from an RP standpoint. just means i cant spar with someone that has a 5-sec LX.

i cant see any benefit for me to have forging skills or outfitting, alchemy has its perks but i just eat herbs or buy them from herb shops if i need salve/potion.

all that leaves me waiting till enchanting, so i was going to train engineering some at low ranks just to see if i enjoy it, keep my skills in mech, and roll them later to take advantage once engineering is harder to learn.
Re: mech lore conversion 07/10/2017 02:27 PM CDT
As far as I know there are no 5 second crossbows. There are some stonebows, but people are relatively split on whether those are ideal or not, because the ammo stinks.

Take a look at the crossbow page; you can surely find something that fits your RP and has better stats (at lower RT) than your existing one. I personally really like the heavy crossbows, but people tend to say that the lighter ones train better. Again, this means crossbows that shoot arrows; the ammunition is a solid bump in damage.

You can convert out of mech once for each crafting skill. So if you had 2000 ranks, you could put it all into engineering, then train mech again and put the next 2000 ranks into forging, etc. What you can't do is convert mech into the same crafting skill twice. So no training 500 mech, putting it into forging, then training another 500 mech and putting it back into forging.

Prayer beads don't function at all as engineering products, do they? I believe they still use the old mechanics? I haven't made one in forever.

You can train engineering by making crossbows at pretty low ranks. They won't be as good as a capped 2000 rank one or whatever, but they will be functional, and you can do turn ins. I think I was doing it with 50 ranks?

Bear in mind that carving branches into planks is the best way to train engineering from 0-100 ranks or something silly. It doesn't require a society and only needs a couple tools, and you can do it anywhere.
Re: mech lore conversion 07/10/2017 02:28 PM CDT
https://elanthipedia.play.net/Tinkering_products#Crossbow_Crafting

That was supposed to be in my post.

Yay edit buttons.
Re: mech lore conversion 07/10/2017 02:32 PM CDT
>>As far as I know there are no 5 second crossbows.

Tinkered lx's can hit 4/5 sec load times.
Re: mech lore conversion 07/10/2017 02:54 PM CDT

other forum posts say the beads carved with engineering skill arent useable for devotion, i was just relisting that question a year later.

i carry taisidon quest crossbows, and used to carry two ZEF crossbows, but i lost them. any kind of tinkered wood crossbow wouldnt be a stretch for me. what was that bit about arrows in crossbows?

the question still remains... any other perk to engineering or to avoid the conversion?
Re: mech lore conversion 07/10/2017 03:21 PM CDT
If you aren't going to craft, there's no reason to put points into crafting...?

Aside from the TDPs, but really that's only a point if you're doing it as an ongoing skill.
Re: mech lore conversion 07/10/2017 03:38 PM CDT
>other forum posts say the beads carved with engineering skill arent useable for devotion, i was just relisting that question a year later.

Shaped (engineered) beads don't fit on prayer bead chains because prayer bead chains are based on 2001's mech lore bead carving system rather than the modern crafting system.
Shaped (engineered) beads can't be used in the meditate chain ritual (because they won't go on the chain).
You don't get devotion from shaping engineering beads either iirc.

You can use shaped engineered beads as offerings for favors.
You can also explode beads you've shaped (engineered) yourself for use in Truffenyi's commune iirc.

We're all still waiting to hear how various systems that currently rely on mech lore will shake out once mech lore is no longer a thing but it appears that's waiting on Kodius' personal life allowing him a lot more time to work. There have been suggestions that every craft could eventually have religious iconography as products as the crafting codex is designed (i think) for future compatibility with all the other crafts in mind. Another suggestion has been to allow Clerics to craft engineered beads based solely on their theurgy skill which is not a good idea imo. Currently it's much more difficult for non-Clerics to carve beads with mech lore because of Clerics' theurgy skill. Allowing theurgy skill to similarly reduce the engineering ranks required for shaped (engineering) beads would be more appropriate.

>the question still remains... any other perk to engineering or to avoid the conversion?

Keep training mech until it's no longer trainable and you're forced to convert. Take every opportunity to train all other crafts or at least listen to crafting classes of all types any chance you get would be my recommendation. Try all the crafts out and see if you enjoy any of them. If you pick a craft to focus on; do so, but continue training mech lore alongside it as long as it's possible.

Kodius' crafting system and the design codex is far more elegant than any of the legacy mech lore crafting systems and bead primers. I would expect prayer bead chains and devotional rituals to work with shaped (engineered) beads at some point in the future.