Help guide my development 10/26/2016 10:21 PM CDT
Very old cleric pre web migration, not been around for nearly 10 years. Curious how others would train as my knowledge is so out dated at this point. Don't really do PvP but would like to have a chance in case. Mostly hunt, currently in pale grey death spirits, and feel I'm fairly behind where I should be.

55th circle

Strength : 31 + Reflex : 31 +
Agility : 32 + Charisma : 20
Discipline : 34 Wisdom : 31
Intelligence : 30 Stamina : 28

Shield Usage: 108 20% mind lock (34/34) Light Armor: 173 24% mind lock (34/34)
Chain Armor: 26 13% clear (0/34) Plate Armor: 82 77% clear (0/34)
Defending: 176 40% mind lock (34/34) Parry Ability: 183 30% mind lock (34/34)
Small Edged: 24 73% clear (0/34) Large Edged: 191 36% mind lock (34/34)
Twohanded Edged: 28 07% clear (0/34) Small Blunt: 27 84% clear (0/34)
Large Blunt: 33 58% clear (0/34) Twohanded Blunt: 4 72% clear (0/34)
Bow: 12 43% clear (0/34) Crossbow: 9 86% clear (0/34)
Staves: 10 00% clear (0/34) Polearms: 4 85% clear (0/34)
Light Thrown: 0 32% clear (0/34) Heavy Thrown: 66 13% clear (0/34)
Brawling: 28 60% clear (0/34) Melee Mastery: 144 92% very rapt (31/34)
Missile Mastery: 47 64% clear (0/34) Holy Magic: 361 58% clear (0/34)
Attunement: 348 65% clear (0/34) Arcana: 225 19% clear (0/34)
Targeted Magic: 196 86% dabbling (1/34) Augmentation: 310 22% clear (0/34)
Debilitation: 271 08% clear (0/34) Utility: 273 71% clear (0/34)
Warding: 238 24% clear (0/34) Sorcery: 2 63% clear (0/34)
Theurgy: 211 47% clear (0/34) Evasion: 180 82% mind lock (34/34)
Athletics: 90 08% clear (0/34) Perception: 95 27% clear (0/34)
Stealth: 61 29% clear (0/34) Locksmithing: 25 67% clear (0/34)
Thievery: 38 08% clear (0/34) First Aid: 105 76% clear (0/34)
Outdoorsmanship: 53 65% clear (0/34) Skinning: 54 35% clear (0/34)
Forging: 9 95% clear (0/34) Alchemy: 20 45% clear (0/34)
Scholarship: 174 88% clear (0/34) Mechanical Lore: 95 39% clear (0/34)
Appraisal: 172 91% clear (0/34) Performance: 15 56% clear (0/34)
Tactics: 156 26% rapt (30/34)

In the chapter entitled "Holy Defense", you have notes on the Protection from Evil [pfe], Minor Physical Protection [mpp], Shield of Light [sol], Benediction, and Major Physical Protection [mapp] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Spirit Manipulation", you have notes on the Rejuvenation, Vigil, Soul Bonding [sb], Auspice, Revelation [rev], Mass Rejuvenation [mre], Centering, and Soul Sickness [sick] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Holy Evocations", you have notes on the Bless, Harm Evil [he], Divine Radiance [dr], Harm Horde [hh], Curse of Zachriedek [coz], Malediction, and Fists of Faenella [ff] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Divine Intervention", you have notes on the Aesrela Everild [ae] and Resurrection [rezz] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Metamagic", you have notes on the Sanctify Pattern [sap], Uncurse, Persistence of Mana [pom], and Osrel Meraud [om] spells.

You recall proficiency with the magic feats of Augmentation Mastery, Targeted Mastery, Efficient Channeling and Dedicated Cambrinth Use.

You have 1 spell slot available.
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 12:04 AM CDT

I would recommend the swamps in riverhaven before the tree. You will really need to work on the skinning. The lesser slaughs and shadow hounds should be a good hunt for you, they drop boxes<slaughs>, provide skinning <both> and still teach you very well. Make sure you keep PFE up, or put it in the orb. The hides/skins not only provide cash but are great for offering on altars
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 01:37 AM CDT
I see you are training shield which is good. Shield used to be terrible and evasion was king but shields are pretty important now. You can wear small shields on your arm and block with it while keeping your hands free as armor tert. Not sure if that was a thing when you used to play. It was new to me when I came back.

I would really suggest picking up at least one ranged weapon. Heavy thrown seems to be your highest and thrown weapons are pretty nice if you get someone to craft you a steel weapon. If it is one handed you can throw it from your left hand which will train 3 skills at once - HT, offhand, and missile mastery.

The mastery skills are awesome and having high mastery skill for ranged and melee will compensate for lack of skill in specific weapons. So if later you decide you want to use a crossbow or something you don't have to go all the way back to goblins to start training it.

I would recommend getting Hydra Hex soon because you have the skill to cast it and already have malediction and CoZ spells. Hydra hex combined with malediction is a fantastic spell, it will turn it into an AOE debilitation that keeps reapplying itself. Remember to release it and recast every so often so you keep learning from it though.

You can train theurgy in combat by using the meraud commune. You may have to do the quest to learn it. It can be dangerous in new hunting grounds because it will knock you on the ground with a long RT. Once you hit 250 theurgy it will only make you kneel though.
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 02:00 AM CDT
Sorry for double post, just remembered a few more things I wish I knew when I first came back.

You can train perception in combat using the HUNT command if the area allows you to, some certain areas won't let you. No longer need to juggle. You can also train outdoorsmanship and perception by collecting rocks.

You can train athletics in combat by using FLEE directed towards something that does not exist in the room. Like FLEE (pink elephant). <--- I just learned this recently. Athletics has been moving nicely since.

Appraisal can be trained in combat by appraising the critter you are hunting every now and then. You can use appraise quick for a shorter round time.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, the game has changed quite a bit and I know first hand how overwhelming it can be at first trying to catch up.
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 03:45 AM CDT
>>You can train athletics in combat by using FLEE directed towards something that does not exist in the room. Like FLEE (pink elephant). <--- I just learned this recently. Athletics has been moving nicely since.

This smacks of mech abuse? Not sure.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 06:54 AM CDT
Looks like you made pretty reasonable training choices for your character age. Changes I would suggest: You are currently training large edge (nee heavy edge). You will probably want 3 more weapons, if not more. Combat is the biggest/best generator of skills and TDPs in DR. I would suggest a blunt, brawling, and a ranged. Right now the meta-game really puts staves, polearms, and HT as the best options. Staves and poles because the two skills have 1-hand, 2-hand, pole, options, and range from well balanced and light to some of the most massive weapons in DR. Plus polearms can be thrown.

If you weren't aware, 'staves' is the combination of the quarter staff and short staff skills; you can train it with a nightstick. Polearms is the combination of pike and halberd, either will train pole.

Personally if I had it to do over I would strongly recommend either picking up small edge, or 2HE, instead of large edge. Large edge is in a kinda not-ideal place (I didn't say bad) where it can't hit the damage of a 2HE, and small edge can hit most of the damage of a large edge. Doubly so since you're going to be backtraining a ton of weapons anyway.

I'd also probably suggest throwing on a mixed suit of armor. Clerics have enough damage mitigation from spells that the increased hindrance will be ok. My general suit of choice is silk hauberk, lumium brig gloves, chain hat, and plate mask, then a lumium sipar.

Light armor is ok, but it's underkill if you aren't training stealth. You could upgrade to light or medium chain without much impact and see an increase in defense.

Your spell selection looks solid. Only suggestion I would make is to add hydrahex as soon as possible. Being able to curse the offense, defense, or both, of everything is amazing.

Other than that there are personal choices. You probably want to toss in a couple more lore skills like performance (get some zills, wear them, play occasionally). And I'd suggest training mech lore. You can braid vines/grass anywhere, and you can dump mech into a new crafting skill once per skill (so train 100 ranks of mech, dump into forging, etc.). Athletics are always a good choice, and that's the combination of swimming/climbing, so you can CLIMB PRACTICE almost anywhere.

I'm a big fan of outdoorsmanship (nee foraging), as it's useful and trains perception. You can train it by doing a 'collect rock', then kicking the pile. Outdoors is also used for mining and lumberjacking, not just foraging.
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 09:33 AM CDT

When I returned under similar circumstances I was surprised to find out about magic research, which you can't do in combat, but was really beneficial for working on those new magical skills. Here's the elanthipedia article with details.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Magical_research

Welcome back!
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 09:34 AM CDT
>>In the chapter entitled "Divine Intervention", you have notes on the Aesrela Everild [ae] and Resurrection [rezz] spells.

I would suggest raising your charisma, especially if you're using AE a lot. (Also for PvP if you go down that road)

>>You recall proficiency with the magic feats of Augmentation Mastery, Targeted Mastery, Efficient Channeling and Dedicated Cambrinth Use.

Two words: Raw Channeling - a must for anyone who uses Cyclic spells (OK, that was more than two words)

>>In the chapter entitled "Holy Evocations", you have notes on the Bless, Harm Evil [he], Divine Radiance [dr], Harm Horde [hh], Curse of Zachriedek [coz], Malediction, and Fists of Faenella [ff] spells.

I would add Time of the Red Spiral (totrs) Awesome spell.

Welcome back!

~Gab
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 11:05 AM CDT
>>This smacks of mech abuse? Not sure.

This has been possible since FLEE was introduced. It was the most reliable way to train Escaping back before 3.0, and it changed to Athletics with the skill combination. It's not an abuse of mechanics at all since you still flee from all engagements but you don't flee the room, which is an intended option as is the experience gain.

It can be argued that it's a prime example of being able to learn too many skills in combat, but it's hardly mech abuse.
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 01:01 PM CDT
I think others have already covered the combat stuff, so let me talk about some strategies for training non-combats while you drain combat experience. I would suggest sticking close to Crossing for access to healing and questions as you return.

Your charisma needs to be 30 to learn Murulla's Flame. You've done a great job keeping your stats pretty equal.

Magic Training

>I was surprised to find out about magic research, which you can't do in combat, but was really beneficial for working on those new magical skills...

My recommendation for your non-combat magics is to pick up Ghost Shroud (GHS) as soon as you can. Get a large cambrinth like a cambrinth orb (sold in Riverhaven for under 2 plat), and a worn cambrinth like a wide cambrinth armband (sold on Aesry for under 2 plat). Find a high mana room, and do the following. For casting spells, put half in your cambrinth armband and half in prep. When the PREP/CHARGE amounts start to be too taxing, cut your prep/charge to 1/5 of their current value and use PREP SYMBIOSIS CHAOS before each CAST. Tweak your mana amounts up if you're learning too slowly or down if you're backfiring.

1. Set POWER on a 61 second timer. Do this everywhere and you'll always be learning Attunement.
2. Charge orb, cast GHS, invoke orb cyclic
3. Charge armband, prep SAP, invoke armband spell, cast <self> augmentation. Repeat until locked.
4. Recast GHS
5. Charge armband, prep BLESS, invoke armband spell, cast. Repeat until locked.

Using this strategy you can lock Holy Magic, Warding, Arcana, Augmentation, and Utility. The whole cycle should take 20-25 minutes.

Athletics and Performance

Pick up an instrument, a lyre works well, go to inside the Crossing east gate and CLIMB STAIR.

* Every 130 seconds, PLAY DITTY ON LYRE
* Every 130 seconds, CLIMB PRACTICE EMBRASURE

You'll lock Athletics and Performance in about 10 minutes. When Athletics slows down about 150 Athletics, move to climbing the wall outside the east gate, then to the west gate embrasure, and then the walls outside the west gate.

Perception and Outdoorsmanship

Collect and kick rocks or dust bunnies until you're locked in perception. Find a class or

Mechanical Lore

Practice carving clerical beads. Use these to get favor orbs, and carry 2 favor orbs everytime you hunt. You'll have an abundance of favors and move your mechanical lore well.

Theurgy

Always keep this trickling in. Do some research on Elanthipedia on Rituals and Communes, and perform them as often as you can. PRAY or use Meraud's Commune and perform Last Rites in combat. Use Eluned's commune for holy water, and immediately follow up with Tamsine's Commune. Use Hodierna's Commune anytime you bleed.

That should cover Theurgy, 5 non-combat magics, 3 survival skills, and 2 lore skills. If you can find a class to listen in on while you kick rocks or carve beads, you can add scholarship to the mix. As long as you train Tactics in combat, that's everything you need to circle.
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 01:28 PM CDT

A few other tricks you might want to use.

- Invoke camb # will only invoke # of streams. You can also invoke camb # spell to insure your cyclic doesn't grab it.
- Prep symbiosis to make a spell harder to cast (teaches better with less mana), but the duration/power breaks.
- Commune sense will tell you which rites are up and when you can use them again.
- Spell stance - learn it, use it. I recommend 130 100 70 (130% power) or 100 130 70 (130% duration) based on your needs.
- Do not start the MF quest until you have about 220+ combats.
- Depending on how long you've been out, adjust your shield to make it arm worn - reduced stats, greater utility. Get a worn skinning knife (shard or west of xings). Find and wear a parry stick. Generally, you'll want to work all weapons you can.
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 04:42 PM CDT
>> Do not start the MF quest until you have about 220+ combats.

It's certainly do-able with 140 Parry and 120 Shield (minimum needed to reach circle 50), as long as you have enough Primary Magic, Discipline, and patience. You retreat a lot, but many clerics have done it this way.

If you aren't interested in a challenge, the quest becomes easy mode with approximately 250 defenses, Harm Horde, Shield of Light, and evasion/shield stance.
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 04:45 PM CDT

> It's certainly do-able with 140 Parry and 120 Shield (minimum needed to reach circle 50), as long as you have enough Primary Magic, Discipline, and patience. You retreat a lot, but many clerics have done it this way.

I don't know what's a secret and what's not, but you won't be relying on parry or your primary weapon during the final combat phase. You're going to need a lot of evasion + shield (and SoL, really). You'll also need a decent amount of TM to hit them. Around 220, you can do it with only minor injuries (because you don't want to die in there).
Re: Help guide my development 10/27/2016 05:07 PM CDT
I wouldn't do MF until you can cast Harm Horde at a decent mana rata, like 25 under the new system. I failed MF about 4 times until Padhg suggested picking up HH. Then I blew through MF in no time. Oh, and keep retreating. Forever.
Re: Help guide my development 10/28/2016 10:05 AM CDT
Thanks for all the insight folks! Greatly appreciated!

How about stats, they look ok for where I'm at. Outside of charisma which I'm working up slowly. Any place else you'd really be putting tdp's into?

Thanks again
Re: Help guide my development 10/28/2016 05:23 PM CDT
You can't go wrong with Reflex or Stamina, imo. Can never have too much.

I used to swear by mentals but lately I'm not sure if they are as important as I thought.
Re: Help guide my development 10/29/2016 05:24 PM CDT
>How about stats, they look ok for where I'm at.

Unless you have a personal reason not to, I'd suggest you raise all stats equally/together. Makes life easier.