Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/10/2016 09:53 AM CST
Is there a timer as to how often one can make Kiss Roses?

It's been forever since I've made one. Thankfully I had a mortar containing all the items I had used in making them in the past, including some leftover petals and was successful. Then I decided to try making another, stocking up for future needs. I traveled to Leth and converted my new petals into a pulp, but when I tried to mix the attar, I'd get a RT message that "nothing happens." My guess is that you can only make the attar every so often. Anyone have further insight?

Thanks!

Nikpack
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/10/2016 10:04 AM CST

I am not sure currently, the old timer was one per 24hrs if i remember right but not positive

the feeble old swamp shaman
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/10/2016 10:42 AM CST

The "nothing happens" is probably because you don't have enough catalyst to bind it, check how much powder you have in the jar. Only other timer I've seen is getting petals/rue and commune timer. Besides those two should be able to make as many as you want.
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/10/2016 10:44 AM CST

yep the timer is on getting the material. the nothing happens thing has to be the alchemy stuff once you have the mats. might be where you got the catalyst from.
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/11/2016 01:32 PM CST
What catalysts do people use? I bought some dracon crystals from Chizili's Alchemical Goods in Crossings. I tried using both the dracon crystals and dracon powder. Both gave me the "nothing happens" messaging.

Thanks for the ideas/help!

Nikpack
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/11/2016 03:03 PM CST

Dracon works fine, has to be in powder form, try counting the powder you currently have in the jar, forget the exact amount but think you need four parts of powder to work. Only other thing I can think of is your oil not being blessed.
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/11/2016 03:54 PM CST

I just made 4 batches of attar (as that's how many petals I had on hand) with no problems.

Couple of things I discovered.....

1) When you pour the holy oil into <container, I use a jar> it seems to lose its holiness.

"The holy aura fades from some oil when you pour it into a large jar."

2) I started with 3 parts of dracon powder and discovered it only uses 1 each time.

Come find me IG if you want, would be happy to sit down with you to see if we can figure this out.

~Gabellia
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/11/2016 04:37 PM CST
The key was that although the attar making consumes 1 part of dracon powder, you need >1 part to get it to work. Weird

Nikpack
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/11/2016 04:58 PM CST
Every time I mess with kiss roses I get annoyed about how convoluted and picky the rose attar stuff is. I wish it could just be something new instead of using some hack of the old crafting system.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/11/2016 05:38 PM CST

I always just make mine with 1:1:1 for the ingredients.
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 07:39 AM CST
>>Every time I mess with kiss roses I get annoyed about how convoluted and picky the rose attar stuff is. I wish it could just be something new instead of using some hack of the old crafting system.

I think the GM that designed the roses wanted Clerics to be able to provide something fun for the masses. I also remember it was suppposed to be a way for Clerics to pick up a few extra coin, if they wanted to sell them. (Well, that sure has changed!)

Prayer beads sorta fall into their own category as well, it seems. While we can craft them under the new system.....I believe we still have to craft them the old way to make them devotional.

I would be curious to know if the powers that be mean to update both of these items for Clerics, or if they have already decided to let them stay as is.

Course, I'm also waiting for RoB/Mpp/Pfe/Bless to be fixed. (Has that been broke since the change to magic? Which was.....when?) But that should probably go in another folder.

~Gab
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 07:58 AM CST
>> I think the GM that designed the roses wanted Clerics to be able to provide something fun for the masses.

I mean, that's fine. I just think the attar should be easier/simpler to make and completely decoupled from how old crafting worked. (I'd also like to see consent be decoupled from bonding, but that's a whole other ball o' wax.)

Beads are tough, but I'm inclined to think they should just be replaced with something else. I'm interested to hear how they'll ultimately be handled with mechanical lore going away.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 08:06 AM CST

I started doing engineering on my cleric just to do beads when it was announced. Sadly though all you can do is use them for favors. Can't even put em on a prayer chain.

Would also be nice if the harder things to carve, totems and such, would grant devotion more so then a bead but right now I'd settle with the beads just working like ones made using mech.
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 10:16 AM CST
Makes no sense to create a crafting system fully capable of the full range of beads when interacting systems support antique mech lore beads. When engineered beads became a thing, prayer bead chains and the devotional ritual should have been updated to accept them (and probably only them).

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 10:28 AM CST
>>When engineered beads became a thing, prayer bead chains and the devotional ritual should have been updated to accept them (and probably only them).

I get it, but I also know that if you wait until X Y and Z conditionals are met, project creep sets in and nothing ever gets released. Also factor in that GMs aren't universally apt at every DR system, so you're also faced with "do I not release an update because everything involving a bead won't work just yet and I don't know how to/can't update those systems as well?"

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 11:19 AM CST

Fair point, though Kodius already stated that he could "make whatever system changes were necessary to support them, like we did with the new skin materials." Posted back in June of last year.
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 05:36 PM CST
>> When engineered beads became a thing, prayer bead chains and the devotional ritual should have been updated to accept them (and probably only them).

This would be a problem because it's the best way to get devotion at the upper end and I'm opposed to pigeonholing any guild into a single crafting skill like that. And I assume that's why it wasn't done back then too.

Thayet

Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 07:03 PM CST
<<This would be a problem because it's the best way to get devotion at the upper end and I'm opposed to pigeonholing any guild into a single crafting skill like that. And I assume that's why it wasn't done back then too.

To be honest, I think clerics should be able to use any crafted item that is able to be created using the god images from the design codex. Currently that's only shaped items, I think, but that could easily be expanded to blacksmithed metal imagery items like statues and stuff. Eventually artistry and/or jewelry making would have access to it as well. That would give clerics 3 options for a crafting skill they could use.
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 07:18 PM CST

I really love being able to train mech without the dreaded fold or braid..... I probably don't have the skill to do a lot of different beads but really have not tried the whole bead carving with eng. yet and will not till i can use them for devotion. I might be able to pull some of them off with between 450 and 500 eng though.

I love the creation systems they have out now but would love to see them fleshed out some more. Bone carving really was a great "FIT" for my cleric who tries to pull off a decent swamp shaman. It just had a great IC feel for him and i was able to embrace it and enjoy the system. My suggestion would be to include making the bonding and unbonding roses a low level cleric feature in the alchemy system. something with 50 or 100 ranks you could pull off and keep the gather spot for the current stuff needed so no quest rewrites are needed.
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 07:21 PM CST
<<To be honest, I think clerics should be able to use any crafted item that is able to be created using the god images from the design codex. Currently that's only shaped items, I think, but that could easily be expanded to blacksmithed metal imagery items like statues and stuff. Eventually artistry and/or jewelry making would have access to it as well. That would give clerics 3 options for a crafting skill they could use.

And I've added this suggestion to the wiki's crafting suggestion page. https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Crafting_feedback#General
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 08:36 PM CST
To be honest, I think creation systems like this that are so linked to a specific skill (beads for clerics and talismans for warrior mages) should be based on their guild skill and not a crafting skill to force them into something just to train a skill in another set or have access to class abilities.
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 08:39 PM CST
Yeah...something rubs me the wrong way about one of the only sources of that amount of devotion being tied to crafting to be honest. It might be a good idea for a side thing, but beads are pretty important to Clerics and something should probably be implemented to replace them.

I think maybe my attar comment was misinterpreted: I am not saying it should be Alchemy. That would be an even bigger mistake. I'm saying it should not involve crafting or a facsimile thereof whatsoever. You should just sprinkle oil on rose petals and pray or something to make attar.

Thayet

Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 08:48 PM CST
Perhaps just creating the base bead would require Engineering, but this can be done with 0 ranks using the simplest bead design. Then Theurgy ranks would determine the level of devotion gained from it. There could even still be increased devotion from using a higher tier crafted item, but it would be just a bonus on top of the base devotion from theurgy skill, so not strictly necessary.
Re: Bonding Rose Creation Timer 03/12/2016 09:07 PM CST
Yeah, why would you expect to need crafting skill to craft something?

The real issue might be that carving beads shouldn't be the best way to gain high level devotion.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html