Break time 03/27/2007 10:30 AM CDT
I'm taking a break from DR. It was either that or reroll Ucu and start over.

I am not, and have not been, happy with the way the game is being run. I dislike most of our new spells, and every change seems to just piss me off.

I don't know when I'll be coming back, or if Ucu will, period. I have no real enjoyment left in the cleric guild.
Re: Break time 03/27/2007 12:52 PM CDT
Take it easy. And hopefully we'll see you back before too long.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Re: Break time 03/27/2007 04:28 PM CDT
Took you long enough, bro. Hopefully a break is all you need and you didn't burn yourself out sticking it out unhappy as long as you did.

Keep in touch, I'm sure you remember my SN.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Place them in a box until a quieter time
Lights down, you up and die
Re: Break time 03/28/2007 06:51 PM CDT
Seems Like a lot of Clerics are discontent, whats going on?

Despite your best efforts, skinning the gargoyle just isn't going to happen this time. Maybe helping little old Halfling widows across a busy Crossing street is more your line of work?
Re: Break time 03/28/2007 09:01 PM CDT
>Seems Like a lot of Clerics are discontent, whats going on?

It's like if Moongate was taken from the Moon Mages and told it needs to be rewritten. It must be the number one priority and nothing can be released until it's finished. Years go by and the GM leaves. Just replace Moongate with Ressurection. A few Clerics just couldn't recover from that. There's other reasons like being only able to affect undead with their TM for some time. Also a lot of no Cleric GMs or short term ones. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can answer and clarify, but if no one does there's your basic answer.

-Ghodbane
Re: Break time 03/28/2007 09:30 PM CDT
In my particular case, I have not cared for the majority of the newly released spells; I feel they are not up to par with other guild abilities considering the restrictions. Or I feel they are good 'concept' spells that are largely useless in real situations. In essence, I disagree with the current Cleric development. As such it is better for my happiness to simply play a different character for a bit, and clear my head. At the time of my original post I was upset about DR and PS; the DR change has been fully explained to me, and I added \target abdomen to my macro and it works just as before. PS I am still not in full agreement with, but I realize round 2 is comming. HH irritates me because we are the guinea pig of 'weak' AoE spells.

As a cleric, when I see 'soon' I read it as 'maybe in 5 or 6 years, after a few GMs, 4 radical paradigm shifts, no development for 2 years at a time' and various other negatives.

It has little to do with the current batch of GMs; I have respect for Ssra, Dart, Armifer, Zeyrun (sp?) and the misc. red-names we don't see. Lirrak has been head of the guild during an expansive release period, but I can't tell if he has anything to do with it, as most of the releases seem to have been whipped up by Khent before he crashed and burned. As such, I have no basis to respect or bash Lirrak. Haven't seen enough from him.

I appreciate the recent trend of GM frank discussion; I disagree with the 'if you could only see the numbers we see' argument.
Re: Break time 03/28/2007 09:42 PM CDT
>>As such, I have no basis to respect or bash Lirrak. Haven't seen enough from him.

Keep in mind Lirrak is a liasion. Every guild is in theory supposed to have a Guru, DEV assistant and liasion whose job is only communication.

He has been coding some before, checking code, etc. Learning all the ins and outs of DR code and system seems to have a fairly large down-time, sometimes even years for someone new to code.

Bleeding
Area Rate
left hand death awaits
heart liberal

Re: Break time 03/28/2007 09:51 PM CDT
>>As a cleric, when I see 'soon' I read it as 'maybe in 5 or 6 years, after a few GMs, 4 radical paradigm shifts, no development for 2 years at a time' and various other negatives.

That is a big ouch, especially to wait that long for a game. I really hope things start happening you guys, I feel guilty (just a smidge) for being part of a very flushed out guild with problems like yours.

>>It's like if Moongate was taken from the Moon Mages and told it needs to be rewritten. It must be the number one priority and nothing can be released until it's finished

Another big ouch, I would need to him and haw to determine whether it was worth rolling a new character. Hard to say, Moongate isn't a make it or break it spell for me, but I would def want my spell slots back till it was fixed.

Despite your best efforts, skinning the gargoyle just isn't going to happen this time. Maybe helping little old Halfling widows across a busy Crossing street is more your line of work?
Re: Break time 03/28/2007 09:54 PM CDT
>Keep in mind Lirrak is a liasion. Every guild is in theory supposed to have a Guru, DEV assistant and liasion whose job is only communication.

I know, this's why I simply haven't seen enough things come from him, that I can point to and say 'hey, that rocked' or 'hey, that was terrible'.

It seems like he's been pushing GMs (and himself) to finish up stuff, and maybe work on new stuff. Which is cool.

I just don't have enough data for my personal judgement.
Re: Break time 03/28/2007 09:57 PM CDT
>>That is a big ouch, especially to wait that long for a game. I really hope things start happening you guys, I feel guilty (just a smidge) for being part of a very flushed out guild with problems like yours.

Don't.

The last seven of Armifer's 10 releases were Cleric-related. Dartenian has worked on Bless and Harm Horde.

All complaints about lack of development died a year and a half ago.

Edit: Change that to all legitimate complaints.

Bleeding
Area Rate
left hand death awaits
heart liberal

Re: Break time 03/28/2007 10:20 PM CDT
>>Quantity is not quality.

Hence my statementes refer only to complaints about lack of development, not opinions thereof.

I am inclined to disagree with your assessment, but you are free to your opinions. I am loving the anti-stun Centering and EF/BF even though I only have EF on scroll right now. AO's neat if niche, same for Revelation. Will definitely get HH as it will be useful in high-swarm areas.

Maybe if you gave some examples of development you considered actuallg good or great I might see where your personal preferences fall.

Like a previous poster said the bad times really chased away quite a few Clerics. I honestly think the guild's biggest problem is the lingering wounds from lack of dynamic, enthusiastic, high-level player characters. There are certainly a couple naturally but that's my opinion, and it bleeds through to the boards.

Bleeding
Area Rate
left hand death awaits
heart liberal

Re: Break time 03/28/2007 10:41 PM CDT
In the time I've played a Cleric this is the best we've had it, IMO.

Syralon
Cleric of Ushnish
<Conskill> You're like an Empath, but with a drug dependancy.
Re: Break time 03/29/2007 12:52 AM CDT
>>I honestly think the guild's biggest problem is the lingering wounds from lack of dynamic, enthusiastic, high-level player characters.

I taught myself how to deal with disappointment a long, long time ago. Survival trait. I'm happiest doing system design (really too bad I'm DQ'd from GMship, or I'd apply for Cleric guru again) and, failing that, ranting and raving philosophically. That's why I joined the guild.

But that said, I don't self-identify with clerics strongly enough to affect that. I'm also not high level. I haven't played Diarik very much in the past year, though I plan to do it more after the EXP changes, since I'd like to have some more spells.

I also haven't been around long enough to get jaded.

-- Holy Scholar Diarik Erasto, Arcane Researcher, in search of spiritweaving.
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Diarik
http://www.livejournal.com/users/pensive-spirit/

Holiness of soul lies within integrity. - Book of Eluned, Magica Bona
Re: Break time 03/29/2007 12:56 AM CDT
>But that said, I don't self-identify with clerics strongly enough to affect that. I'm also not high level. I haven't played Diarik very much in the past year, though I plan to do it more after the EXP changes, since I'd like to have some more spells.

>I also haven't been around long enough to get jaded.

I'm only 37. Not sure how long I've been around, but certainly no 'old timer'. I'm just bitter, I guess.
Re: Break time 03/29/2007 10:51 AM CDT
Buh bye, tah tah, avoir, sayonara..Don't let the door hit yah where the good lord split yah.

-Entyy
Re: Break time 03/29/2007 02:42 PM CDT
>In the time I've played a Cleric this is the best we've had it, IMO.

I'm happy enough to sit out of this conversation since I've made my views known in the past, but I just have to say I have to agree completely with Syralon's statement above.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Place them in a box until a quieter time
Lights down, you up and die
Re: Break time 03/29/2007 11:45 PM CDT
Its funny really because when you are young in a guild you dont notice lack of developement as much.We have so much more now than when i started but i have a much harder time getting excited about it.I am far from having all the spells we have to choose from but i do sort of understand where Ucu is coming from.I think the kicker for me was the increase in combat reqs for clerics.I know i am a minority but i hate hunting.On the other side of the coin though i love the guild and will always be primarily a cleric.

So take a break get your desire to play back and return if you still dont feel its up to par then you will at least know it wasnt because you made a rash choice while angry.

"i have the simplest of tastes I only want the Best" Oscar Wilde
Re: Break time 03/30/2007 01:20 PM CDT
>>I know i am a minority but i hate hunting

People like you add more diversity to the game.

Re: Break time 05/21/2007 05:16 PM CDT
wow! do we really have it that bad?

I've played every guild but barb and cleric to at least 20th. Warmie, ranger and moonie far past that.

and now I'm working on cleric...

I'm digging the diversity of the cleric guild. The clerics I've run into are a pretty cool bunch with more of a knack for actual role-play than most of the guilds. I don't have an opinion on spells as I haven't expected them to do anything but teach me magic so far but just looking through the list they seem pretty cool. I enjoy the freedom of the guild too, the pool we have (devo) is a lot less restrictive than some of the other guilds allowing you to be just as mean as you wana be and go where you wana go.

I've got no idea what's in store for me as I advance up the guild ladder but so far the future seems bright.
Re: Break time 05/21/2007 06:11 PM CDT
>>I've got no idea what's in store for me as I advance up the guild ladder but so far the future seems bright.

It's very bright. We're a lot better than people (clerics included) think.

Syralon
Nerevar says, "Are Nadrim's memories intact?"
Dornal gazes intently at Nadrim's corpse.
Dornal says to Nerevar, "No, they are not."
Dornal begins a cheerful ditty on his copperleaf kithara.
Re: Break time 05/21/2007 07:59 PM CDT
>It's very bright. We're a lot better than people (clerics included) think.

Yes.