What is an appropriate tip? 10/05/2006 10:05 PM CDT
It's been many years since I've actively played DR.

What is considered an appropriate tip for a resurrection? How about just a rejuve?

Thanks in advance.
Re: What is an appropriate tip? 10/05/2006 11:30 PM CDT
>What is considered an appropriate tip for a resurrection? How about just a rejuve?

Depends on the cleric. Lots won't even stick around long enough for you to offer. Just offer however much//little you want is my motto. I prefer to go on the largess side, cause really, what's teh point of money in DR.

But I don't generally take tips (unless they're really high), cause I like to be offered more than I like to accept.
Re: What is an appropriate tip? 10/05/2006 11:52 PM CDT
Regardless of the amount (unless it's something flat out insulting, like a couple of bronze or a small rock crystal), the fact you're offering a tip is generally more important than the amount.

Tip what you feel the Cleric deserves, especially if they were speedy about it, but at least make the offer.

Syralon
Cleric of Ushnish
Your lungs flame in agony as you double over in a spasm of uncontrolled hacking. As you stand up you notice a faint trickle of blood running down your chin.
You run a finger down the length of your viper amulet.
Re: What is an appropriate tip? 10/05/2006 11:53 PM CDT
I can't remember the last time I was allowed to tip a cleric.

Range Master Dragamar, Recluse of Aesry Sulaenis'a
Brother Urio, Follower of Urrem'tier
Re: What is an appropriate tip? 10/06/2006 12:59 AM CDT
>>I can't remember the last time I was allowed to tip a cleric.

It's not just clerics. I find it hard to get many empaths, traders, box poppers OR clerics to accept tips. However I keep offering on the random chance that one of them will slip up and accidentally type "accept" :)

Again, tip as much or a bit more than what YOU'D like to receive in their place. They may not always accept but the simple act of remembering to even OFFER the tip is often greatly appreciated, by ALL who help you regardless of guild.

Heck, Redarch has often been offered a tip for simply warding a dead body. He never accepts, but he appreciates the thoughtfulness, which is really what folks want the most... some definitive action that shows the recipient appreciates the help... and doesn't take it for granted.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: What is an appropriate tip? 10/06/2006 01:35 AM CDT
I'm sure Redarch's advice is good, but since I've been away from the game for so long, I have no real sense of the economy. I was utterly shocked when I found out that it costs a minimum of 8000 plats to buy a boat. I remember when if you had a thousand plat or two you were considered filthy rich. Also, Empaths have posted indicating that they feel a 3-4 green zircon tip is cheap, while it used to be considered generous.

I am going to go out on a limb and assume that I'd get some weird looks if I offered a small star diopside as a tip for being rezzed. I also think I'd get a different type of weird look if I offered 10 plats, under most circumstances. So what's the happy zone? =P Whether you accept it or not, what amount or range makes you feel valued?

I know that circumstances vary, so as a baseline let's say that you resurrected a corpse that hadn't been dead very long and just had to step outside your hunting ground to do so.

Thanks in advance. =)
Re: What is an appropriate tip? 10/06/2006 07:49 AM CDT
I'd have to agree with everyone else, being offered a tip is what really counts, but you really can't say what the appropriate tip is with any certainty. It all depends on what you could afford. I wouldn't expect someone who hunts Goblins all day to tip the same amount as someone who is hunting Malchata all day.

Strangeguard
Re: What is an appropriate tip? 10/06/2006 08:08 AM CDT
I've been given anywhere from 10 plat to a "thank you". I decline the majority of the time (thank yous I accept) unless the person is insistant that I accept. As for what's appropriate, I would guess it would be based on what the person was capable of hunting. I wouldn't expect someone who can only handle shipyard rats to be able to offer a large tip. And well, even though they can hunt, empaths are forbidden to tip for raises and such. <duck>
For the baseline senerio, 10% to 15% of what you can earn hunting in 30 minutes. 20% to 25% for the empath who has to heal you for the raise.

(Warning: the above senerio numbers where thought up in 5 seconds or less since we all know there is no such thing as a set baseline in such a case due to the large quanity of variations.)

(Warning: The above warning was made up in even less time so I wouldn't buy that statement either.)
Re: What is an appropriate tip? 10/06/2006 01:09 PM CDT
Flavius generally will accept any offers of funds(I hate the word tip, I prefer compensation) except from a) fellow clerics b) empaths and c) friends. Lots of times it depends on the the generally accepted standards of the area you are in. I often will ask the person I am assisting what they were hunting when they died. I do have very different expectations from someone hunting dobeks to someone hunting eels. But the offer is very important, as is a thank you. Someone who leaves without even thanking me is generally ignored from that point on. Someone who leaves without offering me any compensation- well I probably would help them again if I happened to be there, but wouldn't leave hunting for.
Re: What is an appropriate tip? 10/06/2006 03:43 PM CDT
The only people I won't accept compensation from are friends (which in Hero's case includes the entire cleric population, even Volentri, plus a couple of others). My last offered compensation made me feel alot better about Crossing, until I found out the empath giving me 20 platinum was from Muspar'i.

A couple of months ago I was offered a duffel bag full of little goodies. From a moon mage who didn't die often, so over the course of a few months is able to build up a nice "tip" for the next cleric to help him. I didn't have immediate need for most of the items, but it was nice seeing thought put into a gift rather than "here's a plat, sorry I bothered you" that I feel most offers are.

Maybe I'm jaded... okay, I know it's because I'm jaded, but I feel that the token offers are more insulting than the quick Thank You. The ones I feel extend their gratitude are the above moon mage and empath, giving time (even a high level empath can't make 20 platinum in less than an hour). Other "tips" I'd love more than a handful of coins: Sitting and listening to my class until your spirit returns, offering to forge or tan some weapon/armor or shields for my novice fund, offering to enchant a couple of CJs, steal a couple of pyramids or origami envelopes (can these be stolen?).

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Place them in a box until a quieter time
Lights down, you up and die
Re: What is an appropriate tip? 10/06/2006 04:14 PM CDT
>steal a couple of pyramids or origami envelopes (can these be stolen?).

Yes. Don't know the ranks, but they can.
Re: What is an appropriate tip? 10/06/2006 06:01 PM CDT
I know that 425 stealing will net a thief a 50 sheet envelope Leth without having to worry about getting caught, minus the snake eyes roll.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Re: What is an appropriate tip? 10/06/2006 08:11 PM CDT
As an empath, I'm all special-case stuff. For starters, it's pretty dang hard to find a cleric willing to take a tip from me, as either they run off or specifically say they don't accept from empaths (you've no idea how annoying that is, but at least they aren't bitchy about tipping when/if they later receive a healing touch).

To compensate, and since I rarely am in a position where I don't just simply depart without rejuve, whenever I end up dying and get dragged to a cleric I try to give a mostly-full or full gem pouch to whomever helped. It goes down from there as more clerics step in to help, but I try to always give away that much in total. Of course, usually it IS a pouch full of crap gems since that's what we mostly get ourselves.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html