Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/09/2006 12:31 AM CDT
AINANDIL:
I move we establish the price of a Resurrection at ten platinum of the coin of the province.

All in favor say, 'Aye.'

A MAN IN THE CROWD:
What the hell happened to him?

(Vorpar helps out, a little.)

VORPAR:
Some Moon Mage just tried to sell him a k-gweth for a plat a charge. HIM. Ainandil, of all people, and a Dwarf, too!

(Ainandil flips his beard over his shoulder and lights a Misty with a Hello Kitty-themed Zippo.)

AINANDIL:
As if.

VOLENTRI:
Some kids never learn.

(Ainandil shrugs.)

Love,

Father Ainandil, Cleric of Saemaus

Yes, I stole this from Dulci.

>"We do not care if you or your character is gay, straight, asexual, gelatious, nougat filled, or covered in a hard candy shell." --Solomon
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/09/2006 05:38 AM CDT
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (since I've been away for a while), but I thought that was the standard going rate for kyanite gwethdesuans, unless you were close with the seller? At least, that's what I remember.

Traveler Antipater / Father Illurio
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/09/2006 06:17 AM CDT
>>Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (since I've been away for a while), but I thought that was the standard going rate for kyanite gwethdesuans, unless you were close with the seller? At least, that's what I remember.

Please don't feed the trolls

Strangeguard Prayermaster
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/09/2006 07:25 AM CDT
You know this isn't going to happen. Why? A) Mules. B) Hodeirna clerics C) 'close friends'. D) No one pays clerics, for anything
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/09/2006 08:26 AM CDT
>D) No one pays clerics, for anything

That should be "A".

>I've always found it irritatingly interesting that so many (of every single race) claim to be orphans in Elanthia. ~ Bambina
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/09/2006 11:45 AM CDT
Because folks find gweths more valuable than their playing time? Really isn't that it? Some corpse will lie dead for 15 minutes waiting for someone to resurrect him- but would wait twice that long for a cleric who didn't charge him for a resurrection.

But gweths, which are only that expensive because of an established price base- now those are needed. Funny thing I have never had a moonie offer me a gweth for resurrecting him- oh yeah I can't resurrect anymore. Darn thats so inconvenient.

Flavius
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/09/2006 12:16 PM CDT
As a serial dragger my 'Tog will usually tip the cleric and empaths as much as he has on hand and a decent meal or drink for ressurecting people he doesn't even know. The deaders however tip anywhere from nada to gem pouches for getting their lives back with most of their memories. I think he ambushed one cleric with a ten platinum tip once, but that was long ago when he had some money.

mfberg
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/09/2006 06:11 PM CDT
I've been tipped a pair of gweths at around 20 charges each for a raise. My tip policy has always been "Don't ask, never refuse." And yes, that was a one-time occurrence. I've been tipped everywhere (assuming greater than zero) from dinky little small diopsides to large star rubies to a seordmaor eye to full gem pouches to a handful of plats.

I actually made more money raising, back when I was probably the only raising cleric (or one of the two or three who weren't around as often), than I did hunting. But I've never spent a lot of time hunting, and I'm a weak combat cleric, so it's not like I hunt anything that pays well. Nowadays, I just don't make money. Well... no, not quite true. I make about a plat per month, depending on how interested I am in training weapons that month.

I have made decent money on kiss and tear roses, but I try never to do that, because they're inherently evil.

And it's Bambina's job.

-- Holy Scholar Diarik Erasto, Arcane Researcher, in search of spiritweaving.

"A good war is very instructive." -- Me.
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/09/2006 10:42 PM CDT
I can make a LOT more hunting than raising. You figure about 5 minutes to get to town, a minute for the raise, and about 5 back to the hunting area vs 11 minutes hunting time with shalade in the swamps, tips are a joke. When I ask myself which is more fun,,,, well folks that know me know it is hunting hands down.... If we run across a dead or a friend in the hunting area that is different. If it is a friend or fellow cleric I like/and or respect I don't care if i go from the moors to maspari, to get them. If I don't like the person, I ain't helping them till Phelim's nightingale comes down and craps out "HELP HIM CADDERRLY" on his forhead.

Not the most consistant policy, just the way i am. I have also never accepted a TIP. I did go down and try to help with the chargin thing a while back but people would not even pay 1 gold up front for a raise....

Cadderrly
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/09/2006 10:53 PM CDT
Cad, if Tish was dead would you help? :P I only accept tips if I can steal them, but I am rarely offered tips for a raise, if I hear a thank you anymore, I'm shocked. Never under estimate the power of appreciation.

Tish

<<Good grief, Tish. I like survivals, but that is insane.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal >>
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/09/2006 11:28 PM CDT
>I ain't helping them till Phelim's nightingale comes down and craps out "HELP HIM CADDERRLY" on his forhead.

I want to see this.

Now!

Gms?
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/10/2006 02:03 AM CDT

Personally, I would rather not have the hassle asking cash for raises would bring. I don't need the coin as hunting can cover my needs, well, wxcept for a boat. But, such is life.

What I do track is who tips and who doesn't and whether they charge me for what they do. Couple times of that and there will be either no more raises or an "understanding" is reached.

I take one thing. I don't care what the one thing is. It's a symbolic thing as part of my RP. I have gotten some cool stuff before, like winged boots etc. I, of course, have raised many without a tip. Which brings me to my next point.

To me, the raise process is all about me. If I can't do my thing and play my RP out, then I am not all that interesteed in raising. I rarely do the triage raise thing unless it is a friend.

My advice, make the raise about you the cleric and not the dead body. Get a schtick that makes sense to your character and involves interraction and stuff.

The one aspect I get the most crap for is asking who the body is before I go a running to help. There are plenty of whackheads I ain't interested in dealing with. But, for some inane reason there is a segment that gets really annoyed by that. That ticks me off more than getting stiffed.

Gweths? Yea, I think the price is outrageous. Moonies have it pretty good since their product is essentially a consumable. Hence, if there ever is a cleric creation system I absolutely want it to be a consummable.

The Bopper
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/10/2006 10:42 AM CDT
To make it short and sweet I make enough coin hunting to not need or depend on tips. Though I don't expect a tip for raising I do for blesses which oddly most people DON'T offer a tip for.

~Entyy
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/11/2006 07:57 AM CDT
Don't remember ever accepting tips willingly for a raise, but I am often times offered. I do most of my raising in Mriss though so I figure that's why people are generally willing to attempt the tip. I also don't charge for anything else cleric related like blesses or roses. No one seems to ask me for roses though, and when any undead invasion happens I like to pretend I'm not a cleric. More than anything else, I hate doing those blesses.

-Wiley-
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/11/2006 10:43 AM CDT
I was just in a bad mood, I think (we're also low on brandy here in heaven).

I've since figured out that deaders in Qi'Reshalia aren't ipso facto Ainandil's problem (The Crossing Deader Syndrome, which operates under the same principle as P.T. Barnum's maxim). It took Me a while to figure that one out. Guess I'm the moron for the next ten minutes, gang.

Ainandil, as a general rule, has seldom if ever taken tips because he considers all of Elanthia to be his flock. However, he expects to be treated like clergy. The principle is not unlike that of citizenship in ancient Greek. The modern concepts of rights and responsibilities simply did not exist; rather, citizenship (that is to say, membership in the ruling class: Athens was not a democracy, it was an oligarchy: you can look it up when you get home) consisted of duties and privileges. Ainandil's duty is to Raise the fallen. His privilege is that all, and I do mean all, of his material needs are taken care of upon request, if not upon demand. Since he is a Dwarf (and his player as well), he acts as a Dwarf would be expected to ask when voicing such requests.

If none of this makes sense you had better go back to drinking.

Love,

Father Ainandil, Cleric of Saemaus

Yes, I stole this from Dulci.

>"We do not care if you or your character is gay, straight, asexual, gelatious, nougat filled, or covered in a hard candy shell." --Solomon
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/11/2006 04:30 PM CDT
Well, I could live on a plat per year if I needed to. I've also been tipped for doing PFE, which amused me.

And Cadderrly, I hunt morah vines and marauders, find getting the boxes popped too much of a hassle, and hunt once in a blue moon. =P If I went and ripped through the swamp, then maybe I would make that much money, too, but I can't and don't really want to.

Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/11/2006 11:02 PM CDT
"My advice, make the raise about you the cleric and not the dead body. Get a schtick that makes sense to your character and involves interraction and stuff."

Great advise- really great advise.
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/12/2006 08:59 AM CDT
>My advice, make the raise about you the cleric and not the dead body. Get a schtick that makes sense to your character and involves interraction and stuff.

Or, you could walk down my path. I don't rejuve, and don't plan on ever taking raise.
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/12/2006 12:04 PM CDT
>>His privilege is that all, and I do mean all, of his material needs are taken care of upon request, if not upon demand....
Ainandil

Yes, this is why I do in fact take tips. Gotta keep the Dwarf happy. Yes you are welcome, Father.

Teel

search
You're not in any condition to be searching around!
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/12/2006 01:13 PM CDT
>I have made decent money on kiss and tear roses, but I try never to do that, because they're inherently evil.

>And it's Bambina's job. -- Holy Scholar Diarik Erasto

Spread the word! ::preens::

>I've always found it irritatingly interesting that so many (of every single race) claim to be orphans in Elanthia. ~ Bambina
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/14/2006 08:14 PM CDT
A little late, but real life has prevented much of anything but work and sleep.

For a year I charged for a resurrection. The price varied from 1 plat to 50 plat, depending on Hero's relationship with the character, and more importantly his relationship with the person requesting the raise (I have the ghostly voice crap squelched on another window that typically resides behind the main window). If he was in a community he felt was his home-flavor of the week, he would typically raise permanent residents without asking for upfront compensation for the time, with the understanding (for him) that they would return the favor if he was in need of anything (similar to Ain's philosophy, but on a more localized basis).

The conclusion: outside of Xing most folk are willing to pay to have their friend raised if another cleric doesn't answer the gweth that they are willing to raise. Hero made decent coin from it, but not as much as he potentially could have made had he hunted for the same amount of time (including downtime between raises). Hero's stance on charging was never about making money though, but about his principles. He also died a total of five times for refusing to back down from those principles.

On the ghostly voices: Yes, I believe they are in character, and I'm not refusing to "hear" them based on the belief that they are otherwise. With the exception of Heroiklim, all my characters hear and respond to the soul's whisperings... Hero simply ignores them, as he finds it easier to hear the message of the Three without the interference of those struggling to keep their bodies from decomposing.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

You sense the Vigil spell bolstering your spirit, which should last for about zero roisaen.
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/15/2006 03:38 AM CDT
gotta say in crossing crym doesnt raise and on the islands where he lives he never charges.He will always take a tip though
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/17/2006 07:18 AM CDT
>>D) No one pays clerics, for anything

I need to remember to quit trying to tip clerics for raising me in that case.
Occasionally they accept, but not too many. I figure it the least I can do for them taking time out of their training or whatever they were doing before.

10 plat, is not happening, since I'll just depart, but I'm more than willing to pay a fair amount if asked.

Brabs

Non Rangers practice a unique methode of locating people and places in cities......We ask directions - Mendasity
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/17/2006 08:38 AM CDT
I've always tipped clerics and where I live (Leth, Shard) pretty much everyone tips them.

I've spent the last few days in Crossing guild, out of three raises one tipped (a silver from a goblin hunter, a good tip in my mind), one didn't (but she was a cute elven girl) and one that was a total pain in the arse to begin with and who was an even bigger pain in the arse to raise due to no favors gave me the cool "Thanks man, I really appreciate it, man, really". I only bothered cause I hear raising a favorless helps devotion very well. That true?

Then again, a guy tipped me a plat for blessing his weapon and water. Go figure.

Not saying that there aren't people that are rude and don't tip, but there ARE people that tip and tip well in every province.

~N
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/17/2006 08:53 AM CDT
I wait for the Cleric to rez me, then I kill him for his trouble and spit on his grave after he departs.

-Fuquois-

"I've been too rich in my words and too cheap in my wine."
-Wildebeeste
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/17/2006 09:06 AM CDT
>>I wait for the Cleric to rez me, then I kill him for his trouble and spit on his grave after he departs.

I give that tip 2 points for style. Kudos.

-Wiley-
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/17/2006 09:26 AM CDT
>I've always tipped clerics and where I live (Leth, Shard) pretty much everyone tips them.

No, they don't. In fact, Shard was when and where I decided not to play the necrofeliac anymore. You are every bit as likely to run into bad players and mules in Shard as Crossings these days.
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/17/2006 09:56 AM CDT
>No, they don't. In fact, Shard was when and where I decided not to play the necrofeliac anymore. You are every bit as likely to run into bad players and mules in Shard as Crossings these days.

Actually, you are much more likely to run into mules in Shard than in Crossing. Mules do not make people tip less, it just leaves less raising for "real" clerics cause mules hog them all the time, ergo others get less money from raising. Also, I never said Crossing has more bad people in it, there are all kinds in every province (yes, even in Shard), but the fact is that Crossing has a bigger precentage of people who have nothing or very little to tip.

Are the bad players you're talking about the ones that don't tip? Or what?

~N
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/17/2006 12:28 PM CDT
There was the time I was raising and someone hid to kill me and I said, "At least wait until I'm done," so they did. I died afterwards. Does that count as a tip?

The problem with Crossing isn't with tippers. It's the sheer amount of favorless people who may or may not be newbies and the sheer amount of morons. I think that most clerics wouldn't mind receiving no tip if they were treated well; the reason we demand tips (or, more accurately, payment) is to compensate for their attitude.

<shrugs>

That said, one of my friends once came up from Leth expressly to tip two clerics who had to deal with a pair of morons after I told him how bad it was. They both turned it down.

Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/17/2006 09:01 PM CDT
I have a rather nasty attitude about that personally. If I raise them and they get up and give me a nasty attitude, after I just gave them breath back into their miserable body, I will take the breath out of it. Granted Lagerby always accused me of having a short temper but I think the was probably exagerating........

Cadderrly
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/18/2006 02:23 AM CDT
>> No, they don't. In fact, Shard was when and where I decided not to play the necrofeliac anymore. You are every bit as likely to run into bad players and mules in Shard as Crossings these days.

Every person I've run into in Shard (being a resident of the area) tips me in one way or another for performing Resurrections, even the people that I don't Resurrect. Some people do it in the form of gems (and when they do, I often have to tell them to STOP giving them to me, because I feel like it's too much) or coins (also often too much in my mind), but many others do it in the form of performing services for free that they normally charge others for (like making Constellation Jewelry or recharging invisibility rings) or going out of their way to help me even if they are busy.

Honestly, I look at it like this: everything balances itself out in the end. The community in Shard (at least in my experiences over the last few years) always has a way of forcing out people who aren't willing to participate in the sense of "shared community" through their own greed and/or selfishness. Even when I do visit the Crossing, and I do Resurrect someone and don't even get so much as a thank you, I just remember it next time I hear that "So-and-so needz a rezz so kin uh Klerik come 2 their guild plz".

And my conscience suffers not for it. ;)

Father Illurio
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/18/2006 08:46 AM CDT
>>If I raise them and they get up and give me a nasty attitude, after I just gave them breath back into their miserable body, I will take the breath out of it.

Classic Cad, and well deserved.

Brabs

Non Rangers practice a unique methode of locating people and places in cities......We ask directions - Mendasity
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 06/18/2006 07:25 PM CDT
I think it'd be funny to WARN COMBAT a corpse. Especially if you're doing the raise already. Throw in an "ooc deadguy Decline and decline the raise, too."

Idle musings,

Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 09/13/2006 09:20 AM CDT
These days around Ratha, I think I am offered a tip about half the time. I used to accept them when I first started raising, but haven't for years now. I see Cadd's point since he hunts way out in the middle of nowhere, but I can run from la'heke and up to the green and raise a body (if they're healed) and run back to la'heke without even missing a learning pulse, and my attunement has recovered before I even have my weapon back in my hand for hunting. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.

Brother Bromus
Re: Deaders and Other Annoyances 09/21/2006 07:52 AM CDT
Random aside..

Bromus is the MAN. He raised me about a week ago, and it happened so fast it took me a minute to register that I was alive again.

Thanks, Bromus.

M.