Prefered armor 04/25/2015 12:18 AM CDT
I've been working my lowbie cleric and am curious as to what armor types the higher ups use. My play style is PvE and non-stealth so I have been using metal armors. I tried using chain/brig for a while and I also tried out brig/plate. I haven't noticed a huge difference, but then I'm not very far along yet. Are there any pros/cons over choosing one set up over the other? Any input would be appreciated.
Re: Prefered armor 04/25/2015 05:59 AM CDT
Bear in mind this is a gross oversimplification. The general things I read are:

Light armor is best/mandatory for stealth. If you're not going to hide, choose something heavier.
Chain armor is the best match up of low hindrance and good protection. It can be crafted to have as low hindrance as leather, or as high protection as (low) plate.
Brig has no place. It's a TDP mill.
Plate is only usable for Paladins, once you reach higher levels; at higher levels the penalties to evasion/etc. outweigh the protection it offers, leading to increased wound count and severity.

That said, I tend to favor a mixed set for my low level characters. Especially clerics, who have level 1 access to mpp. I prefer chain on the torso and head (shirt and balaclava), brig on the hands, and light armor on the legs. I really do avoid plate.
Re: Prefered armor 04/27/2015 03:09 PM CDT

My Cleric doesn't stealth -

I wear all chain and swap brig and plate greaves. Hindrance with plate greaves isn't too bad, maybe 'fairly'? Seems to work well.

>Plate is only usable for Paladins, once you reach higher levels; at higher levels the penalties to evasion/etc. outweigh the protection it offers, leading to increased wound count and severity.

Eh, Plate is only for paladins, but they can wear it pretty easily pretty quickly.
Re: Prefered armor 04/27/2015 03:22 PM CDT
>Eh, Plate is only for paladins, but they can wear it pretty easily pretty quickly.

Plate is only for Paladins once you reach high levels. More accurate way of saying that, sorry. Paladins can (and should) wear a full suite of mixed armor out of the gate. What would put most people at a 13 hindrance puts a Paladin at a 6 (it's instant, as soon as you join the guild, I've tested. No guild, 13. Type 'join', 6)