200+ Undead Hunting 04/18/2015 02:00 AM CDT
Death spirits train much more poorly than rock guardians for me, and I'm trying to determine if there's something a bit higher than them that isn't on Qi and could work me up to Icy Blue Ghasts. I keep hearing that Hib is the place to be for undead hunting but I'm having trouble finding something in that range there. I am also willing to go cursed, I just want to be able to use HE and PFE.

I'm still trying to acclimate a bit since returning from a two year hiatus and I'm using the Undead Hunting Ladder...
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Undead_hunting_ladder
...as a reference.

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett
"You're Michael Jackson's hair and I'm a Pepsi commercial!" Bucky from Get Fuzzy
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/18/2015 02:40 AM CDT
As an FYI, I gave Geni a try based upon some other posts, and I'm right on the cusp of necessary skill for them. I suppose I'll just have to stick with Rock Guardians if I don't want to go out of my way for another mob in the interim.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated, and thank you for your time.

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett
"You're Michael Jackson's hair and I'm a Pepsi commercial!" Bucky from Get Fuzzy
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/18/2015 02:51 AM CDT
I can't remember the "real" bottom end on them, might be higher rather than lower 200s.. but you might try greater sluaghs/hounds in the Zaulfung -- I can backtrain in there from like 140-150ish. 200s are sort of a tough range for undead.

Segmere Freat
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/18/2015 09:37 AM CDT

It's unfortunate how superbly gryphons train for so long. I also wanted so bad to be having a holy magic rave while hunting, but alas.
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/18/2015 11:53 AM CDT
I think dryads (near Boar Clan) or maybe the ogres after them are around that?
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/18/2015 12:25 PM CDT

Correction: I think the tresses there are 220s, dryads maybe more like 250+. Blight ogres harder still.
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/23/2015 09:39 AM CDT
@LIURIDR I appreciate the suggestions, but it appears those train even worse than Death spirits, so I stuck with Rock Guardians; they let me back train in Vipers and Leucros and allow me to periodically dip my toes in the Geni area to test how I'm doing. It looks like Geni are my best bet -350.

@Segmere it would give me quite a bit of pleasure to be able to finally enter the higher-end Zaulfang, it definitely would be nice to be able to hang out in Haven for my other training, but if Elanthipedia is anywhere near correct any longer the Lesser Hounds and Sluagh are too easy and the greater ones too hard, harder than Geni even.

Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/23/2015 09:53 AM CDT

I don't want to give up my hunting spot, but I'm sure there's room for more. Lanky Grey Lachs in the shard catacombs have been fantastic around the rock guardian level. It's a little harder to get to, but worth the trip, IMO. Bonus: they drop boxes and are skinnable.
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/23/2015 09:59 AM CDT
Bone Mastiffs and Transparent Shylvic's in the Infusion quest area are around the same range as Genies and you can possibly backtrain in Lachs. Adan'f are cursed so there's that as well. Also, way out of the way, is Zombie Nomads in Mus'pari.
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/23/2015 10:01 AM CDT
>I don't want to give up my hunting spot, but I'm sure there's room for more. Lanky Grey Lachs in the shard catacombs have been fantastic around the rock guardian level. It's a little harder to get to, but worth the trip, IMO. Bonus: they drop boxes and are skinnable.

Didn't they put the shortcut in for those who have completed the Infusion quest? I thought they did that a few years ago.
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/23/2015 10:27 AM CDT

> Didn't they put the shortcut in for those who have completed the Infusion quest? I thought they did that a few years ago.

Do tell...
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/23/2015 10:30 AM CDT
>>Do tell...

Should be able to go in through where you come out at.
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/23/2015 11:35 AM CDT
You need Rezz.
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/24/2015 10:47 AM CDT
Much to my chagrin and Segmere's amusement, Greater Shadow Hounds/Sluagh were a bust; it was apparent rather quickly when all my curses failed and every attack hit me. It didn't help that they seemed to swarm, which I'm sure will be a positive aspect when/if I return better prepared.

I don't have rezz yet, which is sad because I have the spell slots, the athletics, and Segmere even offered to help me if I arranged a time with him.

I may have to wait off Lach's until I can use the shortcut because I tend to want to work on athletics and smithing, etc.

In any case, thanks again for the help everyone.

Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/24/2015 12:09 PM CDT

What range specifically are you looking for? If you don't want to post exact numbers, you can email my play.net address. I don't want to give up on finding that perfect hunting spot for you just yet.
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/24/2015 01:37 PM CDT
Well, to be honest, I'm not seeing a downside to guardians. Yes they cannot be skinned and they don't drop boxes, but I only lock my defenses, LE and TM there before heading over to the brambles to kill the beefier leucros for backtraining my other weapons and getting theurgy up. The only real downside is that my PFE doesn't work, but that's a small price to pay to have access to a means of training all my other skills, and the hunting areas are easy to get to.

As my box skills are lacking (only about 80 or so) the only real advantage Lachs would have is perception training and easier crowd management, but I train perception well by moving around the Leucro area, and my defenses train quickly because they don't ambush.

Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 04/24/2015 04:18 PM CDT
Actually, the only problem with lachs is perception training stagnating, because it's a no-hunt area. Sure they hide and sneak up on you, but that's kind of a pittance of exp, even as survival tertiary.
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 05/17/2015 02:12 AM CDT
For those in a similar range I've been fighting geni for a few weeks now. I have to reduce some of my armor mixing if I'm using shield to train my secondary weapons, but with my primary weapon (LE) in parry mode even four are fairly manageable thanks to PFE.

Here's the issue I'm hoping for assistance on: I used to run over to leucros every so often and use Meraud on a room and then sacrifice leucros and use sanctified room rituals to move Theurgy and recharge devotion. The gods finally stopped accepting leucros as sacrifice victims, but I really like geni and that range of natural creatures seems very limited without suffering remote regions. I'm really not a fan of Theren/Langen due to the lack of Crafting Societies and elder deer have all of four rooms anyway...

Could anyone please offer some advice on a place with a good range of critters that doesn't put me half way across Elanthia with few amenities?

Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 05/17/2015 06:27 AM CDT

I'll suggest bone mastiffs and transparent shilvics again
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 05/17/2015 02:56 PM CDT
None of those creatures can be sacrificed though, can they? I thought you could only sacrifice natural, non-cursed creatures?

Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 05/17/2015 04:23 PM CDT

Did they change it so challenging undead don't give devotion when killed?
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 05/17/2015 04:44 PM CDT
>Did they change it so that killing challenging undead doesn't give devotion?
No.
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 05/17/2015 04:46 PM CDT
No, but it appears very random and very rare, so it alone is terrible for repairing devotion used on the scale necessary to keep Meraud going. With sacrificial creatures I can restore all of the devotion I use on Meraud, even if it is a giant pain in the ... sometimes.

Sacrifice appears to use a random attack type, so when I sacrifice in a feint attack, some cursing occurs. Even with the terrible implementation in mind (who would feint a killing blow on a kneeling, stunned, immobilized creature?) failures seem to cause less loss than successes, and it's still generally a net gain.

Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 05/17/2015 05:44 PM CDT
> very rare
I disagree on this point. Infrequent, maybe. Rare, not really no.
Also, I regularly use Meraud's on my hunting spot and recoup devotion with prayer, recite, and devotion from undead slaying without any issues.

Though, I do agree that it's odd that sacrifice uses a random attack instead of a specific "strong" attack for the weapon type you're using, however, that may require more work to have been implemented.
Re: 200+ Undead Hunting 05/19/2015 02:53 PM CDT
So much of this will depend on the suite of buff spells you have at your disposal, your mastery skills for melee and ranged (depending of course on what weapons you want to train), your stats and the like.

Blight ogres in Boar Clan (Hib) will work for you, I assure you. They offer everything you could wish for. Investigate the Giant Blight Ogres. If you have the full suite of buff spells as well as Malediction and HYH, then the Adan'f blood warriors and shadow mages south of Shard are also possible. You do require somewhere around 40 discipline to shrug off the mage's mental blasts.

Your interest in smithing is serviced by both Hib and Shard to my knowledge. Both hunting options will deliver you: Boxes, Skins and the ability to train perception via Hunt. Both options include areas with fantastic holy mana base.

Usually when I observe people PvPing it is a problem with their stat assignment being much less than their opponent, and more often than not their opponent has higher skills than they were expecting. - Kodius

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time. - Sun Tzu