Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/04/2013 08:02 PM CST
Hello everyone, I've just started dragonrealms within the last few weeks as a couple others I know have returned to it, but I'm curious what the best things to hunt will be soon?

30th Circle Cleric
95 Shield
98 MO
89 Parry
97 Evasion
55 LC/HC/HP (Backtraining currently as I started with Leather)
93 MB/LT/Brawling

Currently I'm training on Giant Wolf Spiders in the Theren Keep tunnels, which will last me for a bit still (though they're fine until I have four on me), however I'm at a loss after them. Anyone have any suggestions?
Also, any suggestions on the Infusion and Ressurection questions? Reading the forum and asking my friends, it sounds like it may be best to gweth for help if I want to do it currently?
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/04/2013 09:15 PM CST
Welcome back. I'd suggest elanthipedia as a great all-reference. There's a section on there somewhere for 'what's new' that's really worth reading. And DR 3.0 is going to come out soonish, so might want to check that out, and slip over to the test instance and play with new spells and mechanics.

The base URL:

>http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Main_Page

And the critter stuff:

>http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Special:RunQuery/BestiaryQuery

Being in Theren already, I'd ditch the spiders and hit blood wolves. I'd, uh, also pick up another weapon or three. You're using heavy strength based armors (Chain/hp), which will prevent stealth stuff really, so I'd suggest dropping the mb/lt, and picking up HE, HB, and HT, along with brawling. Everything else looks good. You didn't specify boxes or skinning, so wolves obviously work well for skinning. LT is surprisingly good in PvP due to throwing blades right now, so you could very well keep that. If you want to get punchy and train more than 4 weapons, I'd recommend a 2-handed blunt, and a spear/halberd bladed weapon, if not both 2-hander variants and a polearm anyway. Clerics, being weapon secondary, should probably train 4-5 weapons just to keep those TDPs flowing, and defenses moving well. And basically once you've got stuff locked, it's not going to cost you anything to start swapping in weapons (and will in fact benefit you). Unless you're going for pure leveling speed.

As for the quests, I can't offer much advice. I usually just go to DRsecrets, and follow the walkthroughs. But I hate syntax puzzles and other things like that.

Frankly, you're approaching a crap point in the ladder. There's a million things after you break the 100-120 rank barrier, but between sand sprites and that point, there's nothing that teaches amazingly but won't be dangerous either.

If you cap out blood wolves, I'd recommend Moss Meys; they're undead, so you get full defense and offense bonus against them, but they're non-corporeal so require bless to hit, and can be a pain. Plus it's near Crossings. And skinnable, plus box droppers. If you don't already know about it, LOOT has several options, one of which prevents boxes spawning and gives you the general treasure value instead, for non-box people.
>http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Moss_Mey

Around 110-120 ranks, you can hit my hands down favorite critter in DR, mutant togballs. I personally love P5 a lot, it's an amazing cleric ground that has tons of great cleric critters. Togballs are low-damage types with no special attacks, skinnable, box/loot droppers, always spawn roughly 3 on you at all times. The low-end ranks say 120 on the site, but I don't think that accounts for cleric bonuses, I was hunting them in the 110's range just fine with mpp, pfe, mapp up. You could stack communes and SoL for even more defenses, and might be able to do them now, but your weapon ranks would be far too low.
>http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Mutant_togball

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/04/2013 09:32 PM CST
Thanks for the advice! I have been keeping my skinning to level though I haven't been doing boxes (I may go back in the future, or backtrain it if I can't find help as I hear I need to lockpick the exit for the Infusion quest?)
I'm wearing LC Shirt, neutral plate handguards (but no LP skill so they are HP), HP Helm and HC greaves at the moment.

I may go ahead and drop MB, or more than likely keep it and weave in some of the heavy weapons as suggested. I'll continue with LT as I was picking it up just because it is pretty useful for PvP due to throwing blades as my friend told me. Part of the reason I hadn't gotten more weapons was I wasn't sure what I could carry without being burdened yet, sitting at 20 stamina and strength so far.

I do have TM at 105 as well, as I forgot to mention that before, and have been using it to kill off the fourth wolf spider when I get it. I appreciate the advice, I'll probably check out the blood wolves and stick with them or the wolf spiders until I cap on them and go from there. I appreciate the input!
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/04/2013 09:33 PM CST
Also, those Togballs do look like a good spot at that point, I look forward to it!
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/04/2013 11:50 PM CST

If you end up in togballs....feel free to gweth for classes during your down time...Flavius is there most of the time and I love getting a student for him.

Ucu's advice sounds good to me- he is more the expert on that level than I am, but if you want bad advice, Flavius can give you that also.
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/05/2013 04:53 AM CST
Something about hunting mutant togballs just tickles my funny bone, I'll for sure be going out there. I'm behind you a bit and back training shield as well as a handful of weapons, and all I care about is skinning so the list is a bit biased but I was looking at:

Shard, Darkmist Moors:
Skeletal/Zombie Kobold Headhunters and Savages @ 95ish

Forfedhdar, Boar Clan:
Mutant Togballs @ 120ish

Riverhaven, Zaulfung Swamp
Lesser Shadow Hounds @ 160ish (It is my firm belief that every cleric should go play in the swamp at some point in their lives. I have a trigger to start playing CCR's, Born on the Bayou, upon walking out the East gate 'cause, yeah.)

Shard, The Abyss
Lanky Grey Lachs @ 210ish (150+ perception)

So on and so forth. As for the Infusion quest, you'll need someone who can skin the lachs and for the Resurrection quest, another cleric and/or a Paladin really, really helps. Feel free to hunt me down in game on Shaidval around Crossing, I'm more then happy to help out.

I believe the glass is half full, of lead, toxic chemicals and deadly parasitic microbes.
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/05/2013 06:24 AM CST
>Skeletal/Zombie Kobold Headhunters and Savages @ 95ish

There are 2 reasons I primarily avoid headhunters. The major one is that, frankly, it's difficult to impossible to train parry there because one of the primary opponents uses ranged, so you have to stance dance, get to melee, hope more don't come in, repeat. The other, minor, one, is that I believe the zombies are blunt resistant while the skeletals are blade resistant? Which is just irritating when there are a ton of better options at-level.

And while you don't get the most bang out of cleric boosts when fighting non-undead critters, you get more than enough. And not to launch on my rambling hate train again, but most undead aren't really worth hunting, when compared to living counterparts. So I only stray into the undead ladder when there's a really great option, like togballs, maiden's tresses, and blight ogres.

Oh, and a word after my weapon advice: if you're having fun with your weapon loadouts, then that's fine. I was just suggesting a min/max approach that not everyone needs to take. LT blades for PvP aren't nearly as overpowering in 3.0, so you might read up on that. And I only suggested swapping weapons because you're going to cap out the RT reduction on those lighter weapons soonish, if you keep boosting stats to benefit your heavy armor training.

Something you didn't mention, is your charisma. Are you training your cleric to do well at will contests? In 3.0 clerics get a meta called Hydrahex, which applies CoZ, or Malediction, or Uncurse, to everything engaged to the cleric as a cyclical. It's amazing.

Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/05/2013 07:44 AM CST
<<There are 2 reasons I primarily avoid headhunters. The major one is that, frankly, it's difficult to impossible to train parry there because one of the primary opponents uses ranged, so you have to stance dance, get to melee, hope more don't come in, repeat. The other, minor, one, is that I believe the zombies are blunt resistant while the skeletals are blade resistant? Which is just irritating when there are a ton of better options at-level.

Fantastic advice, thank you for that. Moss Meys sounds like a much better suggestion, knowing that. I fully understand your reasons for wanting to avoid undead in favor of better training options in the "living" ladders. I'm willing to sacrifice speed and convenience to hunt undead if I can. There is a gap between Faenrae Reavers and Moss Meys (50-90?) where finding something undead/evil to hunt that is also skinnable is miserable and I felt forced into other options, but meh.

Ucu is absolutely correct in that the undead ladder is both flawed and a bit sketchy when it comes to incoporeal entities. I'd agree we seem to be better off most of the time not bothering with it, which is a sorry state of affairs.

I believe the glass is half full; of lead, toxic chemicals and deadly parasitic microbes.
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/05/2013 09:57 AM CST
>Something you didn't mention, is your charisma. Are you training your cleric to do well at will contests? In 3.0 clerics get a meta called Hydrahex, which applies CoZ, or Malediction, or Uncurse, to everything engaged to the cleric as a cyclical. It's amazing.

I'm honestly not too sure how I should be allocating stats right now, I've currently got everything to 15, strength, reflex, and stamina to 20, and discipline, wisdom, intelligence up to 25-30, some for personal preference (I started wearing heavier armors so I increased strength and stamina, the reflex is always good as well) and the top three from friend's suggestions but I hadn't gotten a cleric's opinion on it, especially with the coming changes in 3.0.
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/05/2013 11:31 AM CST
I'd just bump everything in teirs, and keep it all balanced. Frankly you've semi-hurt yourself by raising mentals at such an early level. You get the bonus learning pools till 100 ranks, and even 100-200 is pretty painless to do, but the physical stats would have helped a lot at those lower ranks.

Mentals help older, like 50+ circle, characters, and they're important. But pre-50 they're secondary to getting your strength and stamina and agility and reflex up. Discipline's a middle-tier stat, it effects everything, including magic.

Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/05/2013 01:17 PM CST
So I should probably go ahead and raise strength, stamina, and reflex to 30-35 next? And should I get charisma up there as well, then, in anticipation on some things in 3.0?
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/05/2013 02:43 PM CST
All stats to 30+ is a good starting point for any character of any guild. More reflex is always a wise investment for any character of any guild.
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/06/2013 02:53 PM CST
>All stats to 30+ is a good starting point for any character of any guild. More reflex is always a wise investment for any character of any guild.

Duly notes and will aim towards something like that. I've picked up a spear to train pike, broadsword for HE. I had picked up the spear for HT training too, though I stopped that as it lodges, what would be a good weapon to train HT with? I'm currently using my MB hammer, waiting an extra second or so for the RT for the fatigue to go back up so I don't wear myself out.
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/06/2013 04:01 PM CST
>what would be a good weapon to train HT with?

Assuming you have 20 strength, a log (as in, forage log) will work fine. No lodging, and good enough damage up till 100+ ranks, where you'll want to look at player made forged steel stuff, that I'm clueless about. Just for the record, anything with puncture damage can/will lodge. And in 3.0, lodging apparently does some nasty damage, so it's worth considering. If you're dead set on training with spears, you can pick up a shoulder or back tube from Theren (back tube takes your back slot, which is normally occupied by a backpack etc. so...not really a good option but it's there), and you can stuff a ton of spears into it. I'd suggest the short hunting spears from Arthe.

I'd actually suggest one regardless if you're going to train pike, since it's lighter than the crossing one, with no drawbacks.

Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/06/2013 04:10 PM CST
>Assuming you have 20 strength, a log (as in, forage log) will work fine. No lodging, and good enough damage up till 100+ ranks, where you'll want to look at player made forged steel stuff, that I'm clueless about.

Yeah, this was just suggested to me so I'll start training with a log for now, that's better than using my poor hammer.

>If you're dead set on training with spears, you can pick up a shoulder or back tube from Theren (back tube takes your back slot, which is normally occupied by a backpack etc. so...not really a good option but it's there), and you can stuff a ton of spears into it. I'd suggest the short hunting spears from Arthe.

I'd probably be training it FOR spears and things for later, but training WITH I'm not too picky on. I had already picked up a short hunting spear for HT (and it doubled as pike so I was going to train that as well) but found that lodging makes it frustrating for training. Thanks for the info, I'll keep those tubes in mind, I've currently just got the one spear, and I added a strap to keep it on my shoulder.

Speaking of which, can I get a strap or something for my MB/HB hammer and maul? I can sheath my broadsword, put my spear on my shoulder...it has always felt weird to have to stow my hammer in my backpack.
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/06/2013 04:20 PM CST
>Speaking of which, can I get a strap or something for my MB/HB hammer and maul? I can sheath my broadsword, put my spear on my shoulder...it has always felt weird to have to stow my hammer in my backpack.

Welcome to DR item management. I gave up dealing with it a decade ago. Everything goes into one container because the GMs won't make a magic weapon sheath. I just stash everything in my backpack, and without any proof I'll assume everyone else does. You can get, I believe, a frog, or similar thing, to hold a weapon or two, but blunts are notoriously difficult to deal with, often the only solution is to stash them in your backpack or whatever.

Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/06/2013 04:27 PM CST
>Welcome to DR item management. I gave up dealing with it a decade ago. Everything goes into one container because the GMs won't make a magic weapon sheath. I just stash everything in my backpack, and without any proof I'll assume everyone else does. You can get, I believe, a frog, or similar thing, to hold a weapon or two, but blunts are notoriously difficult to deal with, often the only solution is to stash them in your backpack or whatever.

I can live with it, just was originally disappointed with it since the sword could be sheathed but not my hammer. I think I'm pretty much set with skills to train, now it's just time to do a bit of backtraining and then focusing on doing the infusion quest once I get uncurse. Interested in toying with starting to use SoL once I have it.
Re: Cleric Hunting Questions, new to the game 01/06/2013 04:39 PM CST
>> Speaking of which, can I get a strap or something for my MB/HB hammer and maul? I can sheath my broadsword, put my spear on my shoulder...it has always felt weird to have to stow my hammer in my backpack.

R> stow right (custom stow)

You hang your mace from your belt.

INVENTORY LOOK:

a polished leather belt with a mace hanging from it

The belt does some type of limit, I couldn't hang a war sword from it. I'm not sure its weight because my mace is lighter. It may be weapon size. It also holds two weapons. The mace is steel, but does not show up. I have seen a couple various versions of this type of weapon holder, so their may be one that has a higher weight requirement. I think there is a backpack from shard that has two straps attached to it that works similarly, but the straps wear out and break. Otherwise a very cool feature.

You can use weapon straps on pole arms, which are worn on the shoulder. I'm not sure how straps apply to other weapons.