how to train help 08/08/2012 02:28 AM CDT

Ok major problem for me. I have hunted to long without just standing there and gettin beat on/parry ect ect. My weapons way outpace my multi. any advice on how to pick up 150 ranks or so of multi to get it on par without just standing there with 4 on me to lock it, killin them off and goin to play another character for a while till it absorbs so i can stand there and do it again? I can lock it ok now that i found the right critter. just Man is it boring. is there a better way to back train i am missing? I use scripts very little mostly just travel script and one power walking script. I really don't want to have to script combat and bock stop ect ect. just pointers would be great. I really would love to get it up to where i can hunt again at level without critters rushing in and me gettin owned immediately because of it. I have been away a long time and before it was really not an issue.

Any good back training advice would be appreciated.

Cadderrly
Re: how to train help 08/08/2012 06:39 AM CDT
Pick up another weapon?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: how to train help 08/08/2012 06:42 AM CDT
Well, what are your combat skills and stats at? At some of the higher levels, teaching ranges can be quite forgiving, so you might be able to find a creature who will work your Multi that you can also kill.

Not knowing the details and not having gone through the same thing myself, the best advice I can offer is:

1) Try out different critters. Look for ones with lower spawn rates, but that will still teach your weapons.

2) Really learn your deadly spells and abilities. Try hunting at level but sniping the extra critters the moment they enter.

3) Liberally ask for Multi classes when doing other things, or get a combat partner to teach it to you while in combat.

4) Try staying in combat for longer at a lower Multi mindstate. You will learn it optimally as long as it is above 2/34. You just won't have the whole pool to drain out when you finish.

5) Consider seeking out a Bard, as they have a song that boosts Multi, or buying Multi cjs from a moon mage.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: how to train help 08/08/2012 10:03 AM CDT

You don't need to stand with 4 on you to learn Multi. If you are able to dance with 2-3 and it's moving your multi as well as other skills I'd do as the player of Eyuve suggested and Horn the extras that come in. What is your Multi at compared to your defenses? Are you using your defense communes to see if you can manage with 4 of what you normally hunt?
Re: how to train help 08/08/2012 10:43 AM CDT
Alternatively, just skip back training Multi and wait for 3.0 to hit and the contest gets moved into the Defending skill. Last I heard, Defending was going to be an average of Shield, Parry, Evasion. MO was originally part of the average, but there was mention of removing it.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:A_whole_bunch_of_information_-_04/10/2012_-_15:42
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:A_whole_bunch_of_information_-_04/13/2012_-_16:00

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: how to train help 08/08/2012 12:48 PM CDT

Multi is about 100 points behind defenses. one or two i am ok with. but critters tend to come in pairs and when i get 4 get the crap beat out of me. I am ok with not training TM and heavy thrown for a while. Just would like to train my melee weapons. TM and HT are way above my defenses already. basically was hopin to hunt basilisk and shadow beast again but it is goin to have to wait a bit. I was hopin there was some neat little trick to gettin multi up. I been working on bringing blades up in lesser hounds and sluaghs, blunts in greaters. still with four greater hounds and sluaghs on me I take a beating especially if the sluaghs are berserking. I guess I neglected it to much in the past and just have to pay the piper.
Re: how to train help 08/08/2012 01:25 PM CDT

You do have MAPP up correct? That provides a multi boost now. Are you fully buffed- including defensive commune?

My multi is not as far behind as yours is, but I really don't even train it anymore- multi is about 70 behind evasion which is my lowest defense, and multi doesn't seem to affect Flavius much.

What about using Malediction on them? I don't use Malediction much, but for training defenses it can work. For the slaughs hit them with COZ if they are using weapons.

For training your melee weapons, my advice is two fold- always use our offensive commune when training weapons and stay in stance parry as long as you can.

Have you tried baby gryphons? They are the entree to easy hunting.
Re: how to train help 08/08/2012 02:36 PM CDT

Cadderly

Do Adanf still teach you defenses? If so, they might be the answer.
Re: how to train help 08/08/2012 04:43 PM CDT

Thanks Flav. I actually had not been using mapp because i thought it was just evasion. I will see if it makes a differance. I sort of feel like a holy barb with the blades working LOL. learning to be a decent combat cleric again is a tough job. what is worse if i do start gettin beat up I usually swamp to stance shield and just throw the hammer, it is faster and kills quicker than my magic. my parry skill is almost to catch up to my shield, evasion is ahead a bit....
Re: how to train help 08/08/2012 07:59 PM CDT
Believe me, MaPP and MPP make a huge difference in how often and how hard you get hit. You might want to add Benediction; At your level, you should have the magical skill to get an impressive boost. Back when I was backtraining multi, I used those a lot.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: how to train help 08/08/2012 08:03 PM CDT

Hmmmm what about your stances?

I switch between stance Shield and stance Parry- but I always put the remaining 4 or 5% into the unused skill-

So it would be like 100% evasion, 80% shield, 4% parry- you will learn some parry even then.

MAPP is really a decent boost to evasion plus some sort of boost to multi.

And give Mal and COZ a try too.
Re: how to train help 08/09/2012 02:12 PM CDT
You should always be using them, even if MaPP didn't give a boost to Multi it's still good to have up since you take a defensive penalty for having more mobs engaged and MaPP increases your defenses. Also, be sure to keep Vigil up as well since Charisma plays a part in MO contests.

I never really understood why people have buffs yet never use them.

You feel that your unwavering faith and devotion is allowing you to detect great amounts of extra Holy mana.
You reach out with your senses and see radiant (15/21) streams of golden Holy mana radiating through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is flickering (8/21) mana to the southeast, and shining (13/21) mana to the east.
You sense the Benediction spell upon you, which should last for about thirteen roisaen.
You sense the Major Physical Protection spell upon you, which should last for about nineteen roisaen.
You sense the Shield of Light spell upon you, which is linked to your Osrel Meraud orb and should last as long as it holds mana.
You sense the Centering spell upon you, which is linked to your Osrel Meraud orb and should last as long as it holds mana. You sense there is a massive amount of mana infused into its matrix.
You sense the Persistence of Mana spell upon you, which should last for at least an anlas and twenty-four roisaen.
You sense that the invisible warmth provided by the Murrula's Flames spell will last for a moderate amount of time.
You sense the Minor Physical Protection spell upon you, which should last for about seven roisaen.
Your magical senses detect the Manifest Force spell surrounding you with a blinding yellow luminescence (8/8).
You sense your Osrel Meraud spell linking you to a brilliant orb of rippling cerulean light, which should last until you release it.
You sense the Ease Burden spell upon you, which should last for about four roisaen.
You sense the Sanctify Pattern spell upon you, which should last for about twelve roisaen.
You sense the Protection from Evil spell upon you, which should last for about three roisaen.
You are preparing the Murrula's Flames spell at eight mana.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Re: how to train help 08/09/2012 06:40 PM CDT

find a mob that moves ya MO but won't kill ya with 3 or 4....then cycle through weapons in a parry stance adding in a bob, weave circle mini script...will work the weapons, your defenses and with the slight penalties ya get for lesser skilled weapons will get your MO flying....and as other have said....take full advantage of mapp and benediction

Ev