Vigil Performance 05/25/2009 07:51 PM CDT
Here's a log of the performance portion of the vigil tonight. I apologize in advance if the log is not real clean, I don't usually do this. I welcome comments, I don't typically like to sing songs so I wouldn't mind some constructive criticism on how to improve my instrumental works in the future. Thanks!

Also, I wouldn't trade PLAYACT for anything in situations like these!

[Kilth Aldiyaus, Prayer Branch]
Vaulted beams are carved into the grain of the wooden walls. Echoes of mumbled prayers and heartfelt supplications are amplified by the room's curvature. In the reverberating din, the names of all the deities mingle, then merge as one. A polished Sana'ati wood altar is surrounded by hooded figures kneeling on the bare floor. You also see a pristine white altar candle swirled with silver and gold and a willow backpack.
Also here: Coralin, Ryeka who is emanating a bright holy aura, Life Defender Szrael, Warrior Priestess Caelane who is shrouded in ghostly flames, Avenger Caiomhe, Tyrun who is shrouded in ghostly flames, Bloodbeast Naife, Anarchist Zaeylor, Auriem, Spellbinder Leren.
Obvious exits: west.

It has been 394 years, 184 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
It is the 5th month of Uthmor the Giant in the year of the Golden Panther.
It is currently summer but from here you can't tell what time it is.

Terra says, "I think it should be safe to begin now. "

Terra says, "I do not intend to take up a lot of your time. My name is Terra Talmuron and I wanted to host a short vigil in dedication to the 39, in particular Murrula and Kuniyo. And open prayer after a short instrumental performance."

Ryeka smiles, revealing the dimples in her cheeks.

The altar candle on the floor sputters as it burns.

Terra says, "There are offerings to Murrula in the backpack on the floor."

Terra gestures at a willow backpack.

Flames waver off of the altar candle on the floor.

Terra gets a slender white ironwood flute painted with intertwining blue-grey nagas from inside her spidersilk sack.
>
Fingers of flame flutter from the altar candle on the floor.

Terra stands with her back to the altar. A look of steady calm washes over her features as she brings a slender white ironwood flute to her lips. Inhaling slowly, she breathes into the instrument and begins to weave a song, the first few notes drifting through the air like the whispering promise of a prosperous future.

Terra performs the extraordinary verse of her song, the high notes soaring like the ringing cry of a phoenix against the subtle harmonics forming the backdrop for her music.

Terra lets her fingers slide effortlessly over the keyholes of her flute, bringing the melody spiralling down into a more soothing tapestry of sound. The downward scale shifts with preternatural grace between each pure note displaying skill that can only be achieved through years of dedication.

Szrael grows quiet, an intense look of introspection overtaking her features as her tail lowers slightly and stretches into stillness.

Tyrun gets a wood phoenix bead from inside his traveler's pack.

Terra concentrates on the lilting melody of the song, her eyes drooping slightly as her passion is woven into wispy notes that linger in the air.

Ryeka observes you with fascination.

Terra shifts her fingers quickly, bringing the balmy melody of the previous verse into a rising battle cry that thrums through the air. The intensity of the low notes sound like the beat of some drum cursed to the bowels of the earth, like the beating heart of the World Dragon.

The altar candle goes out and crumbles away.

Terra pours forth quick, loud notes from her flute signaling what could be the clash of a thousand hard fought battles. Fierce staccato's rip through the room with the tenacity of a blistering sandstorm, fading into the air only to be reborn again on wings of sound.

[Kilth Aldiyaus, Prayer Branch]
Vaulted beams are carved into the grain of the wooden walls. Echoes of mumbled prayers and heartfelt supplications are amplified by the room's curvature. In the reverberating din, the names of all the deities mingle, then merge as one. A polished Sana'ati wood altar is surrounded by hooded figures kneeling on the bare floor. You also see a willow backpack.
Also here: Ryeka, Contemplator Kelnorree, Fateweaver Caelumia, War Wizard Jhime, Warrior Priestess Caelane who is shrouded in ghostly flames, Rumor Vahlissa, Spirit Dancer Basthet who is shrouded in ghostly flames, Worshipper Tuulszeldi, Coralin, Life Defender Szrael, Avenger Caiomhe, Tyrun who is shrouded in ghostly flames, Bloodbeast Naife, Anarchist Zaeylor, Auriem, Spellbinder Leren.
Obvious exits: west.

Ryeka smiles at you, revealing the dimples in her cheeks.

Terra fixes her gaze straight forward and closes her eyes, and with that the music stops. The abruptness of the silence leaves your ears ringing, draping a veil of unease over the room.

Szrael grows extremely still as she turns an intensely calculating look on you.

Terra pauses a moment and opens her eyes slowly. At first, it seems that the performance is over but as your ears adjust to the ringing silence, a low note slowly rises from the depths of the silence. Floating up with crystal clarity, the note lingers for a few moments before dissolving the previous unease left by the quiet. As Terra brings the flute away from her lips, her eyes light up with what you can only guess may be Hope.

Tyrun nibbles on a wood phoenix bead thoughtfully.

Caelane smiles.

Auriem smiles at you.

Szrael smiles.

You end your performance.
You bow.

You put your flute in your spidersilk sack.

Caelane applauds.

Caelumia applauds.

Caiomhe looks at you and applauds!

Naife looks at you and applauds!

Vahlissa applauds.

Basthet applauds.

Auriem applauds.

Ryeka looks at you and applauds!

Kelnorree applauds.

Zaeylor praises you.

Szrael makes a chirring noise in the back of her throat.

Ryeka grins, revealing her dimples.

Terra says, "Now, a short prayer to start us off I think."

You get a flute from inside a willow backpack.

You reverently place a flute on the Sana'ati wood altar.

You recite:

"We gather here today, where so many have gathered before
Before the sacred Sana'ati altar to pay homage to the Immortals.
May Tamsine's blessings shine down on us as we begin this service."

Szrael bows her head and grows still for a moment.

Auriem gazes heavenward with a long-suffering look and murmurs a prayer to Tamsine for patience.

You recite:

"The Devourer continues to consume all in her path.
May Faenella's fire rouse our spirits to meet this threat.
May Kuniyo's hand guide our own as we enter the battle.
Should we falter, let Murrula lift us and show us the way.
And should death come to us, pray to Eylhaar for swift release
And that the Devourer's hunger pass over us."

Vahlissa tilts her head down.

Ryeka begins to pray.

You recite:

"Today we also pray for those who can not help themselves.
May the mercy of Albreda and Alamhif be granted to those who still cling to life,
And also to our brothers and sisters whom we have bickered with in the past."

You recite:

"We pray for wisdom to guide our actions
And the divine guidance to persevere through the raging storm."

You begin to pray, kneeling before the altar. A sense of peace and tranquility fills you as you murmur softly.

The soft sound of your prayers wraps itself around you and brings you a sense of tranquility.

Caelane kneels down.

Basthet fervently recites a low, melodic canticle.

Caelane begins to pray.

An overwhelming sense of contentment fills you as your offering is consumed in a blinding flash of light. When your vision clears, a glowing Murrula orb rests in its place upon the altar.

- Terra
Re: Vigil Performance 05/26/2009 03:04 AM CDT
Nicely done.

That's similar to what I've done though I can't get enough use out of playact to be able to use it through entire songs yet.

I've wavered back and forth over how much technique to include while describing melodies or using descriptive words to set a mood. For instance, with string instruments you can set a chord progression and technically describe how you're playing.

I really think it depends on the song and what you're going after in the performance.

Now to figure out how to perform an ensemble piece...

~Faih
Re: Vigil Performance 05/26/2009 06:59 AM CDT
Awesome, wish I could have been there.

__
~Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Scene.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/
Re: Vigil Performance 05/26/2009 11:00 AM CDT
Faih,

I think we are complete opposites, which may work to our advantage in coordinating play styles. I know almost nothing about music, and as odd as it may seem the music aspect is not why I love the Bard's guild. And frankly, I'm not willing to do the research.

On top of that, I honestly wasn't sure if I could pull off playact for the whole performance. I didn't want to rush it (and ruin the feel) but I didn't want to have to change my style halfway through. RL has been to hectic for me to contact you and give full attention, or have a chance to rehearse anything out IG. Rereading over it, I see some glaring mistakes I will fix the next round and maybe try something with strings, although wind is my instrument of choice.

- Terra
Re: Vigil Performance 05/26/2009 12:38 PM CDT
I like this Terra, something I have been pondering myself to expand my performances. I think you did really well. One of the problems with music is that it communicates on an emotional register that almost defies description. Something like a story a song or a poem hits people through language, but attatchment and reaction to music is so hard to describe.

My efforts (none of which I've performed yet as I'm not happy with them) have been somewhere between your approach and Faih's. I'm a musician so I understand the technical side but few people do and I'm reluctant to make them too obscure. Most people will understand the difference between major and minor but too much technique can be a clog I feel.

I tried to keep mine short, to avoid too many outside references and metaphors that draw the attention away from the music itself and and focus simply on the structure. Dynamics (loud and soft), tone and notes - trying to describe the shift in all of these through language. I'll be happy to swap ideas with you next time I see you, but I'll have to finish mine before you hear it!

===
But there's a tree, of many, one,
A single field which I have look'd upon,
Both of them speak of something that is gone:
The pansy at my feet
Doth the same tale repeat:
Wither is fled the visionary gleam?
Where is it now, the glory and the dream?
Re: Vigil Performance 05/26/2009 11:18 PM CDT
I highly recommend adding touches like this to vocal performances as well. I try to add a little something to all of my songs. Just keep in mind you can always go the opposite side of the spectrum and overdo Playact.

Certainly not in this case though. :)

~Tahra, player of Tashya
Re: Vigil Performance 06/29/2009 12:44 AM CDT
Good job, Terra. I thought you did wonderful. :)