Stages and plays 01/05/2006 03:43 PM CST
Are there stages in game which anyone can go and do a play and have an audience (off stage so as to not interrupt the play)? I recall there being some sort of stage for the fashion show a few years back, but I don't recall if that is generally open/rentable/useable, etc.

~Chris
Re: Stages and plays 01/05/2006 04:49 PM CST
>>Are there stages in game which anyone can go and do a play and have an audience (off stage so as to not interrupt the play)?

There are audience halls in Zoluren and Ilithi, but those are for holding court so the 'stage' areas aren't open to the general public; the High Temple in the Crossing has this feature, but again, not very conducive to a play. There are actual theaters in Muspar'i and Therenborough where people sitting in the stands can watch what's happening on stage. Therenborough's just opened fairly recently, too.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy

http://www.mistletoebeltbuckle.com
Re: Stages and plays 01/05/2006 07:48 PM CST
<<There are actual theaters in Muspar'i and Therenborough where people sitting in the stands can watch what's happening on stage.>>

Perfect! The next question I have, I've a feeling the answer is no so it's really more of a suggestion I guess - Are there boxes or lockers similar to like what couples have at GM weddings to stash all their gear so they can be in costume?

If not - I propose there please be some made available. Make it like a magical gate where if you leave the staging area (I imagine there's a stage and a backstage.) all your stuff gets poofed back onto you ( I guess sort of like what they did for Draughtman's actually or get "costumes" that work like mime-ification ) so that people couldn't just stash their stuff and then go hunt or something.

Thanks for the help!

Do you have to rent out the theatre's? Is there a GM I'd have to e-mail to set up a play or can just anyone walk in any time? Does it cost money to get into the theatre? Is there a sign up sheet so the theatre knows what characters are actually in the play and keep others out? I really wouldn't want someone crashing my play while it's in progress.

~Chris
Re: Stages and plays 01/05/2006 08:49 PM CST
>>Perfect! The next question I have, I've a feeling the answer is no so it's really more of a suggestion I guess - Are there boxes or lockers similar to like what couples have at GM weddings to stash all their gear so they can be in costume?

No there aren't, but it isn't really necessary for the performance itself since people can't look AT each player from the stands. There was a big discussion around the time of the Therenborough theater opening about other features we'd like with them, such as temporary character titles and such so people can tell who's who without a program.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy

http://www.mistletoebeltbuckle.com
Re: Stages and plays 01/05/2006 09:12 PM CST
For premies, there is also a working theater in the amusement pier in Crossing, and in the premie clubhouse in Crossing (upstairs). The premie clubhouse theater does not have the backdrops, but the pier theater does.

-Vaeldriil

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Stages and plays 01/05/2006 09:35 PM CST
<<For premies, there is also a working theater in the amusement pier in Crossing, and in the premie clubhouse in Crossing (upstairs). The premie clubhouse theater does not have the backdrops, but the pier theater does.>>

Given enough notice - Could the Pier be open to the general public for the play - or a way to sell tickets so folks could enter?

~Chris
Re: Stages and plays 01/05/2006 09:37 PM CST
>Perfect! The next question I have, I've a feeling the answer is no so it's really more of a suggestion I guess - Are there boxes or lockers similar to like what couples have at GM weddings to stash all their gear so they can be in costume?

>If not - I propose there please be some made available. Make it like a magical gate where if you leave the staging area (I imagine there's a stage and a backstage.) all your stuff gets poofed back onto you ( I guess sort of like what they did for Draughtman's actually or get "costumes" that work like mime-ification ) so that people couldn't just stash their stuff and then go hunt or something.

>Thanks for the help!

>Do you have to rent out the theatre's? Is there a GM I'd have to e-mail to set up a play or can just anyone walk in any time? Does it cost money to get into the theatre? Is there a sign up sheet so the theatre knows what characters are actually in the play and keep others out? I really wouldn't want someone crashing my play while it's in progress.

There are a couple of threads in the Places folder, Theren sub-folder within the last few weeks about things we suggested for the theater. Some of what you asked for was requested, and some not. Like Shavay said, the audience can't LOOK at the actors, so the costuming would not be seen. We had asked for the ability bit if I remember I think there were mechanics issues. It doesn't cost anything to enter the theater, and there is no sign up sheet. We did ask for various ways to lock out play crashers from the backstage.

As far as the Therenborough theater, let me give you two answers as to how to use the theater for plays. The first answer is that, in reality, anyone can use the theater. However, the second answer is that, in the rp environment, the Baron of Therengia put me, as his court bard, in charge of the theater, and also responsible for what goes on there. Because of this, all official use of the theater must be approved by me, and a member of my staff needs to be present at rehearsals and the performance.

However, said member of staff will also help direct the audience during performance night. I or my staff can help you to advertise your play, and make sure that the performance, playwright and/or actors appear on the marquee. In addition, the staff also doubles as the theater's players in case you need additional actors for your play.

Lastly, we have instituted a monthly play series at the theater. I would encourage you to think about putting your play on as part of this ongoing series!!

If you are interested, or need more information, please contact me or my apprentice Chabelle, who is responsible for much of the day-to-day management of the staff.

Thanks!!

Daerlynn Soulmyste
Court Bard to His Grace, Gyfford, the Baron of Therengia
Re: Stages and plays 01/06/2006 10:23 PM CST
>>Given enough notice - Could the Pier be open to the general public for the play - or a way to sell tickets so folks could enter?

Though Zadraes may decide to waive the rule for scheduled events (probably with the caveat that you have to arrive via a portal or something that prevents you from accessing the rest of the premie pier), the standing order he's handed down for similar non-premie access to the pier has been a definite no.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Stages and plays 01/07/2006 08:50 AM CST
<<the standing order he's handed down for similar non-premie access to the pier has been a definite no.>>

That's fine. It has been open to the general public before - I'll just wait.

~Chris
Re: Stages and plays 01/08/2006 08:23 PM CST
If general access to the pier is desired for an event at the theater...you might want to try writing the events team at dr-events@play.net.

And by the way, I did ask Zadraes before posting this, and the above was his recommended action. I'm not trying to get anyone to go behind his back. :)

Write the events team with the plan for what you want to do and ask. Worst they can say is "no."

-Vaeldriil

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Stages and plays 01/09/2006 03:15 PM CST
>No there aren't, but it isn't really necessary for the performance itself since people can't look AT each player from the stands. There was a big discussion around the time of the Therenborough theater opening about other features we'd like with them, such as temporary character titles and such so people can tell who's who without a program.

As a point of interest, there is a trunk stage left in the Aesry theater that acts like a shelf. Meaning you can put things in there and they will remain so long as nobody takes them. Problem with that theater is that you can't be seen from the audience. Go figure.

- Useff

p.s. - that stage has amazing elemental mana.
Re: Stages and plays 01/10/2006 12:12 AM CST
If you would like to speak about scheduling your play for the monthly series in Theren, you may reach my pigeon at ChabelleDR.

May your dreams be at your fingertips and your paths full of fun and adventure.

*smiles and waves from behind her scroll-covered desk*
Belle
Re: Stages and plays 02/02/2006 10:52 AM CST
I'm not certain whether this is relevant or not, but I believe the Muspar'i theatre has some fun backdrops that you can pull/push to change the room description :) Its a great place, gather up some audiences and put some shows on up there! Everyone hearts Muspar'i, they just don't know it yet. ;)

~Jycanth
Re: Stages and plays 02/02/2006 01:24 PM CST
<<Everyone hearts Muspar'i, they just don't know it yet. ;) ~Jycanth>>

He lives!

PS. You tell 'em! :)
Re: Stages and plays 02/02/2006 04:21 PM CST
Muspar'i is on the way to everywhere.

-Derivan
Re: Stages and plays 02/02/2006 09:26 PM CST

If you're headed to the desert. Nice to see you're around Derivan.

Roxana Gloryfist