Leviathan Evoke? 11/06/2020 03:07 PM CST
I really appreciated the thought to do an evoke for the Merelew leviathan before the start of the HE festivities, but it triggered some questions regarding what evoke is testing against, and if there's a reason why it seems to be such a hurdle to successfully evoke.

I had been testing around before the start of HE, but later when I returned (including right now) it seemed like the evoke was gone. I'm now getting the messaging that pops up when there's no evoke in the room: "You attempt to evoke memories of the past, but nothing seems to have left a strong enough imprint in the area."

Was there a reason why it was turned off?

Some other observations on evoke:

It seems like the timer for experience from Evoke is an hour still (so this post is still true: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:Evoke_EXP_-_01/15/2013_-_23:57). But that includes a failed evoke. You get a marginal amount of Bardic Lore experience from a failed evoke, but it also triggers the timer so that even if you're later successful you don't get any experience.

Does Evoke still use Bardic Lore as well as Discipline and Charisma (as this post says: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:Bard_Ability_-_Evoke_-_09/29/2011_-_13:42)? I ask because I was unable to successfully evoke the Merelew leviathan without the Words of the Wind Buff (Bardic Lore), but wasn't able to with either Soul Ablaze (Charisma) or Will of Winter (Discipline).

Was the decision to have a relatively high difficulty for the Merelew leviathan deliberate? I ask because I noticed a similar challenge with the Evoke for Zengmodaleth, the Plane of Electricity, but haven't gone up to test that as extensively.

I recently came back and I just wonder if there's a reason why these storyline Evokes are above my Bard's levels, which while not the higher levels of some more active Bards, is right around circle 90, Bardic Lore over 500, Wisdom/Charisma/Discipline with buffs all at or above 50.

~~
Lupdels

"Bards are widely regarded as excellent storytellers, but terrible cosmologists." - Armifer
Re: Leviathan Evoke? 11/06/2020 08:26 PM CST
>>Was there a reason why it was turned off?

Short answer is that another GM who has since left staff was working on a project regarding Recalls and Evokes. I don't have all the notes from them, and haven't had the time to truly dig into the missing/not working ones in the last 2.5 years due to my personal commitments to finishing school/working. Going through them is on my radar, but since some of them do still work, it's mixed bag priority.

>>It seems like the timer for experience from Evoke is an hour still (so this post is still true: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:Evoke_EXP_-_01/15/2013_-_23:57). But that includes a failed evoke. You get a marginal amount of Bardic Lore experience from a failed evoke, but it also triggers the timer so that even if you're later successful you don't get any experience.

>>Does Evoke still use Bardic Lore as well as Discipline and Charisma (as this post says: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:Bard_Ability_-_Evoke_-_09/29/2011_-_13:42)? I ask because I was unable to successfully evoke the Merelew leviathan without the Words of the Wind Buff (Bardic Lore), but wasn't able to with either Soul Ablaze (Charisma) or Will of Winter (Discipline).

Nothing has changed to my knowledge.

>>Was the decision to have a relatively high difficulty for the Merelew leviathan deliberate? I ask because I noticed a similar challenge with the Evoke for Zengmodaleth, the Plane of Electricity, but haven't gone up to test that as extensively.

It was set at a deliberate rank -- not one I would call prohibitively high, but it was set high -- on par with the Zengmodaleth thing.

>>I recently came back and I just wonder if there's a reason why these storyline Evokes are above my Bard's levels, which while not the higher levels of some more active Bards, is right around circle 90, Bardic Lore over 500, Wisdom/Charisma/Discipline with buffs all at or above 50.

It's something for us to consider in the future, I don't always set these, so going forward I can try to see if we can hit a more even keel for storyline based ones -- though please understand they are still going to be more difficult than "normal" ones.

~Evike
Twitter: @EvikeDR
Re: Leviathan Evoke? 11/07/2020 04:24 PM CST
>Short answer is that another GM who has since left staff was working on a project regarding Recalls and Evokes. I don't have all the notes from them, and haven't had the time to truly dig into the missing/not working ones in the last 2.5 years due to my personal commitments to finishing school/working. Going through them is on my radar, but since some of them do still work, it's mixed bag priority.

I get broader issues with Recalls and Evokes. I'm more confused by specifically the Merelew Leviathan. It's Evoke seemed "on" the night it was opened, but has since been turned "off" with the rest of HE rolling out.

>It's something for us to consider in the future, I don't always set these, so going forward I can try to see if we can hit a more even keel for storyline based ones -- though please understand they are still going to be more difficult than "normal" ones.

Totally makes sense to have some sort of level, and higher than a normal one, just wasn't sure what exactly the target audience was. If the Evokes are left on in the location after the main story event, I think it makes sense to hit a higher target, as more Bards can come and go, as well as cast the buffs that get them within range for the lower. But if the Evokes are a one shot deal for whoever is at the event at the time, a lower target may make sense.

~~
Lupdels

"Bards are widely regarded as excellent storytellers, but terrible cosmologists." - Armifer
Re: Leviathan Evoke? 11/07/2020 07:19 PM CST
>I get broader issues with Recalls and Evokes. I'm more confused by specifically the Merelew Leviathan. It's Evoke seemed "on" the night it was opened, but has since been turned "off" with the rest of HE rolling out.

It disappeared in error, and should be back up now.

~Evike
Twitter: @EvikeDR
Re: Leviathan Evoke? 11/08/2020 12:19 PM CST
>It disappeared in error, and should be back up now.

Thank you!

~~
Lupdels