PLAYACT AoE Charm v. Will 04/15/2015 02:43 PM CDT
I'm transporting this idea from another thread that was about Performance training, and adding my own two cents.

Original Idea: Turn PLAYACT into an iteration of ACT that has a non-combat AoE Charm vs Will move based on Bardic Lore and Performance where the Bard can cause people to feel certain emotions the Bard wins the check. A Bard passing the check can make the audience spontaneously laugh, cry, cheer, etc.

Personally, I've been referring to this idea in my head as "Bard Roars" since I originally read it. Might be a little inaccurate, but I recall years ago playing an atheistic Gor'tog Cleric who insisted that the gods were just manifestations of raw magic and didn't actually exist, and a Barbarian used a roar (don't recall which; I never got the hang of that guild) to make me run out of the room screaming. Ever since then, whenever someone suggests an ability that forces another player to act a certain way, I point at Roars. Sure, you might play your character like a stone-cold, emotionless wall of angst, but if the stat contest says otherwise, you'll cry like a baby.

Anyone else have thoughts or additions?

I
Re: PLAYACT AoE Charm v. Will 04/15/2015 03:22 PM CDT
>>Personally, I've been referring to this idea in my head as "Bard Roars" since I originally read it.

I was aiming less for Bard Roars (but I know where you're coming from) and more "wow, that song made me cry" or "that comedy act was hilarious!"

I view it as an opportunity to revamp PLAYACT to something a lot more interesting than removing some parenthesis that I kinda wish weren't on ACT itself to begin with. The non-combat aspect was because my understanding is that Bardic Lore isn't going to be a combat skill, and things that have combat effects aren't meant to be trainable outside of combat. And performance definitely isn't a combat skill, either!

Plus, all the effects they caused would be more fluff than anything else. Like slips coin and voice throws.

Would be cool if it could be used on critters and become trainable in combat, though. I just don't think it should necessarily have any advantages to being used in combat.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.