Warhorn Signals 03/17/2015 11:43 PM CDT
Many of these abilities were inspired by the book "Remembering the Bardic Voice, Volume IV". It details how one of the traditional roles for Bards is as standard-bearer. It can be found here: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Book:HslRBV4

I also designed these abilities with the Bard's group-focus in mind, in addition to being Tactics primary and already having special access to warhorn abilities. That said, I'm sure it could be taken as a pure-Tactics system, or shared with other guilds, or whatever. I just would very much like to see Bards playing a strong role like this, and I think there is a case to be made that Bardic Lore/Inspiration apply here.

Warhorn Signal: Call To Arms. The Bard creates a signaling bellow on her warhorn, allowing all nearby to know precisely where she is and know that she is calling them to come to her -- quickly. Allows a hunt-like teleportation effect to the Bard, landing them in her group. Greater Tactics/Bardic Lore skill allows for a larger radius.

Warhorn Signal: Retreat. The Bard signals retreat, causing those nearby to quickly find their way out of combat. Allows anyone near the Bard and engaged to "teleport" to the Bard (as above), if they pass a retreat check, with a few seconds of protection from engagement afterward. Greater Tactics/Bardic Lore skill on the Bard's part allows for a bonus to the retreat check.

Warhorn Signal: Attack. The Bard signals attack, causing those in her group to surge into the fray. Reduced advance time for group members.

Warhorn Signal: Rally (Offense/Defense). The Bard creates a morale-boosting cry, enhancing the offensive/defensive abilities of her group.

Warhorn Signal: Communication. This would provide a suite of purely RP-based communicating signals, such as "All Clear" and "Rally at X Location". For example, if blown from the West Gate, people would see: "You hear three blasts of a warhorn from the West Gate, signaling the all clear there!"

Standard-bearer. The Bard bears the standard or banner of her province or city. Carrying the hefty flag significantly hinders her ability to attack and defend herself, but it grants a significant inspirational benefit to those around her. Her group spells increase in potency and duration, and all members of her group benefit from increased offensive and defensive ability. The role of the standard-bearer might also include giving battle cries and/or inspirational speeches, and may drain the Bard's Inspiration (mojo) over time.

Some of these abilities may benefit from the creation of a special type of group, call it the "war group". One could opt to be in the war group with the Bard and would then automatically experience the teleportation effects, rather than having to type in to accept them.

- Navesi
Re: Warhorn Signals 03/20/2015 06:29 PM CDT
Rally seems like it overlaps too much with spells, but I really like Call To Arms and Retreat. Kodius is working on a mass combat system that these might fit in with.