Bluff Dead 01/08/2014 03:05 PM CST
Just a random idea while my mind wanders at work...

But I think it would be awesome to see the functionality of this ability expanded upon. It has always been one of my favorite Bard perks, and with the eventual shaping of the Bardic Lore/Performance skills, and the Satirize/Lionize abilities, I wonder if something like this might fit in with some of those themes...

So what if Bluff Dead could create a much more realistic version of death? (With proper restrictions placed upon it, of course.)

By more realistic, I mean that your name pops up in the gamewide death feed, and all opponents would be automatically forced to disengage in the same manner that they would if you had actually died. By all means short of an actual Cleric attempting to examine the corpse further, the character would appear dead. This would not only provide it with increased versatility in terms of PvP/PvE scenarios, but I feel would also turn it into a more realistic overall RP tool.

Skill checks could be set in place with the appropriate contests to determine success rates and the length of time that the Bard is able to maintain this very convincing state of death. And by putting a global timer on the ability, such that it is only usable once per day, or once every X amount of hours, it would help to prevent abuse or spamming. Talking or moving in any way would still be potentially hazardous in terms of revealing your dead state, and once your mojo/skill/whatever runs out, or your state is revealed in another manner, you're open prey for players and critters alike once again.

I have no clue if something like this is even remotely plausible, as I can imagine that scrolling the character's name on the death feed might could provide some tricky coding, so hopefully it's not something involved too deeply with core systems that can't be touched.

Thoughts, additions, criticisms?

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Bluff Dead 01/08/2014 03:33 PM CST
This is actually the only version of Bluff Dead I'd be comfortable with changing it to (Or at least very similar) but every time I've thought about the problem I end up in a place in the mechanics that just screams "Here there be dragons!".

When the 'simple' answer is to actually, mechanically, kill you and then find every system that could possibly interact with that and put in exceptions (never mind what you'd need to do to not get the experience system to break down crying)... yeah. I haven't given up on it, but as it stands the ROI on the project is out of whack by several orders of magnitude.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Bluff Dead 01/09/2014 02:05 PM CST
Right on, I figured that the mechanics behind it would be the biggest hurdle. Nonetheless, thanks for the quick response, it soothes my little Bardic soul to know that you've already considered this as an option, and the potential (or lack thereof) for implementation.

Definitely looking forward to the shape of the guild to come!

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.