PRACTICE 09/11/2013 06:22 PM CDT
Howdy Raesh,

A conversation about timers in another folder made me think of this situation which annoys me far more than any text-based-game situation should. I know that you're likely very busy with MM stuff still, but:

Is there any chance that you can look at PRACTICE and make it so that interrupting your practice session does not set off the 1+ hour reuse timer? The whole exp/timer model for that verb could really use an overhaul. It is incredibly frustrating when something random happens that forces you to interrupt your practice session, and you have to wait over an hour to effectively train BL. There are no (useful) applications for the skill, and PRACTICE is really the only effective means of training it outside of combat (well, legitimate means, anyway).

I know you've mentioned in the past that PRACTICE is ugly behind the scenes, but the current situation with BL is, well, BLech!

Thanks,
GENT
Re: PRACTICE 09/11/2013 08:15 PM CDT
>>Is there any chance that you can look at PRACTICE and make it so that interrupting your practice session does not set off the 1+ hour reuse timer?

Actually, I noticed recently that when I interrupted my practice, I was able to practice again within minutes. It surprised me, but there you have it.

>>I know you've mentioned in the past that PRACTICE is ugly behind the scenes, but the current situation with BL is, well, BLech!

I imagine your BL is very high, so your situation is probably different from mine. At low levels, whistle piercing every 2 min or so works great. I supplement with practice before a performance session.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: PRACTICE 09/12/2013 01:24 AM CDT
>>Actually, I noticed recently that when I interrupted my practice, I was able to practice again within minutes. It surprised me, but there you have it.

That's how it should be working as far as I know.

But, yes, the practice verb is a disaster. For those who know anything about coding the verb is essentially a 1000 line line when/is statement that doesn't seem to know what a call is. It makes me very sad to look at.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: PRACTICE 09/12/2013 09:34 AM CDT
[cry]

Sounds horrible, the horrors.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: PRACTICE 09/12/2013 10:23 AM CDT
>>Sounds horrible, the horrors.

I'll just leave this here...

http://i.imgur.com/VwPWWv2.jpg

Melete
Lore Developer
S'Kra Mur Champion
Empath Advocate
Advocates Lead
Events Lead
Re: PRACTICE 09/12/2013 10:26 AM CDT
> GOTOs. GOTOs everywhere.

Have you met the Storm Front scripting language?
Re: PRACTICE 09/12/2013 06:20 PM CDT
>>Actually, I noticed recently that when I interrupted my practice, I was able to practice again within minutes. It surprised me, but there you have it.

Hmm. I have never noticed this, I will test it out later.

Is PRACTICE meant to be used in combat, btw? Or whistle piercing outside of combat? I'm concerned that the only ways I've been learning BL are unintended...

GENT
Re: PRACTICE 09/12/2013 09:15 PM CDT
Hmm. No, neither of those is likely intended but I'm not going to fix either until we have a more robust implementation of Bardic Lore.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: PRACTICE 09/12/2013 09:49 PM CDT
Okay, just making sure.

I will continue doing yoga while engaged with four giant armadillos spitting webs at me. heh

GENT