re: tablas 04/18/2016 07:49 PM CDT
Howdy,

I just noticed that my tabla skin is broken. But, for the heck of me, I can't figure out how to fix it. When I attempt to PUT SKIN ON TABLA, I get the following:

You get a drum skin from atop a donation shelf.

> put my skin on my tabl
You stare at your brass tabla in confusion, turning it this way and that in effort to see where to place your new drum skin, but no matter what you do you can't seem to figure it out! Finally, you give up with a frustrated sigh and vow to learn more about your tabla before trying again.

Also:

You get a repair kit from inside your backpack.

> open my kit

Guess what? It's already open!

100 intelligence, eh...? <<<Always loved this messaging!

> repair tabl with kit
Your brass tabla is not in need of repair.

Some more info, just in case:

> app tabl careful
The brass tabla appears to be a percussion instrument.
You are certain that the brass tabla is crafted from copper or a copper alloy.
You are certain that the brass tabla is of good quality.
You are certain that the brass tabla is so dusty you wonder if it's ever been played.
This instrument appears to be missing its drum skin.
You are certain that the brass tabla weighs exactly 20 stones.
You are certain that the brass tabla is worth exactly 2525 Dokoras.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

You search your mind for what you know of the brass tabla...

The brass tabla is a small, hourglass-shaped drum with a base slightly smaller than the top which has been fitted with soft skins or hides. Played singly or in a pair, the tabla makes a brisk accompaniment to the more melodic instruments that the S'Kra Mur of Muspar'i favor.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
R>
The sapphire-eyed lizard on Copernicus's shoulder drapes itself limply over his shoulder and, with a contented hiss, goes still.
> ass tabla
Cradling the brass tabla in your hands, you carefully look it over from top to bottom, assessing what damage has been done to it. After a few moments, you realize that ...
You are certain that the brass tabla is crafted from copper, or a copper alloy.
You are certain that the brass tabla is of good quality.
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

Am I missing something? I couldn't find anything on Elanthipedia.

Thanks,
GENT
re: tablas 04/18/2016 08:58 PM CDT
tie skin to tabla?
apply skin to tabla?
affix skin to tabla?
repair tabla with skin?
fix tabla with skin?
assemble tabla with skin?

Asked a couple bards to no avail. Apparently percussion isn't very popular.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
re: tablas 04/18/2016 09:11 PM CDT
If I'm recalling the syntax correctly, it should be PUT (THING) ON MY (INSTRUMENT)

Let me know if that doesn't work, or any of the others suggested.

~Evike
re: tablas 04/18/2016 09:12 PM CDT
Heard back from someone who said Put MY skin on MY tabla should work. She said it worked for her bodhran but you have to use MY both times reportedly.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
re: tablas 04/18/2016 10:28 PM CDT
I wonder if it has something to do with the difficulty of the instrument? The tabla is extremely difficult. If it's trying to tell you your Mech needs to be 1000+, that might be a problem?

- Navesi
re: tablas 04/18/2016 10:32 PM CDT
>>I wonder if it has something to do with the difficulty of the instrument? The tabla is extremely difficult. If it's trying to tell you your Mech needs to be 1000+, that might be a problem?

Getting the same message no matter the syntax.

I was thinking it was a weird skill check fail (based on the messaging), related to the difficulty of the instrument. I split my Mech not too long ago, but have 900 ranks (again), so I hope it isn't a skill check!

Could we just remove any skill checks until such a time that instruments are robustified?

Thanks!
GENT
re: tablas 04/19/2016 12:57 AM CDT
Do you need to clean it first? I noticed your appraisal showed it was very dirty.
re: tablas 04/19/2016 01:07 AM CDT
Instrument wear/damage as far as "replaceable" parts is pretty low compared to what it used to be. There have been some instances where a piece does need to be replaced though. Repairing the parts is a combination of the instrument skill (now Performance) and mech lore. So, because the tabla IS a super high instrument this might be causing the issue.

Go ahead and put a BUG report in for me holding the instrument and I'll have a look at it from there and see what needs to be done.

~Evike
re: tablas 04/19/2016 06:45 PM CDT
He's in TF where there is no BUG verb last I remember.
re: tablas 04/19/2016 07:16 PM CDT
Nope, you can BUG from TF.

ETA: I got this fixed up. As I suspected, it IS because the instruments are the "complex" instruments. I'm not too worried about it becoming a problem, because of the scarcity of instrument damage. However, it does occasionally happen and if so, just BUG, REPORT, post, contact me(email aim via profile) on the complex instruments (TABLA, DOUBLE HARP, DOUBLE BAGPIPE ONLY). EVERYTHING ELSE IS FIXABLE ON YOUR OWN just due to how HIGH the instrument difficulty needed to make the complex instruments teach, it's thrown the repair out of whack for those three.

~Evike
re: tablas 04/19/2016 08:10 PM CDT
Thanks Evike!

GENT
re: tablas 04/19/2016 08:36 PM CDT
Hmm, it's probably REPORT and ASSIST I was thinking of then.