Magic Changes 04/05/2016 01:53 AM CDT
I did a LITTLE testing tonight, and I'm very tired, so keep those facts in mind. That said, overall the changes were less painful than I was expecting.

>>Aether Wolves: Reduced to 1 slot. Swapped with Glythtide’s Joy in preq tree.

I assume this happened because AEWO is a more useful choice for a novice than GJ (which isn't that useful in PVE, and I've fought plenty of TM critters). I approve for this reason. My personal preference is to have GJ and not AEWO, though, so too bad for me. Darn prereqs.

>>Slot changes

Well... nice. I can't complain. Are any of these losing efficacy or gaining mana cost? I didn't notice in my brief look.

>>Linear mana regen

This was what I was really dreading, as a magic secondary with a focus on cyclics. I was afraid I would not be able to have my cyclic up at maximum mana and still be able to use other spells. However, in a very good mana room (14 mana upped to 17 with Nexus) I was able to keep up DALU at 19 mana (my max) no problem, even while slinging constant BOS 10s. When I upped BOS to 20, it was clear I was going to go downhill, bottoming out in perhaps 10 minutes. PVE training was definitely fine.

Would I like to be able to do more than 1/5 of my TM spell's mana at once? Yes. But I can see how this situation creates meaningful choices. I'm forced to either manage mana carefully (and drop weapon swings due to camb/harness RT), lower the mana of my cyclic or TM, or drain myself out quickly.

At this point I'm mostly worried about what it'll look like when not in such a good mana room. I'm really hoping I won't have to go after the good mana areas quite so zealously.

Also while we're talking about Bard magic, can you explain why a bunch of our spells take 27 seconds to cast, when the typical norm is 22? I've never understood that.

- Navesi
Re: Magic Changes 04/05/2016 06:24 AM CDT
>I assume this happened because AEWO is a more useful choice for a novice than GJ

More or less. GJ is fairly awful.

>Are any of these losing efficacy or gaining mana cost?

Short answer: no and depends.

Long answer: please read the full changelog.

>can you explain why a bunch of our spells take 27 seconds to cast, when the typical norm is 22?

I assume because they're flagged as group /aoe spells. We're working on improving how that's handled but it's likely to push to after this round of changes, which are already extensive.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Magic Changes 04/05/2016 02:53 PM CDT
<<re: higher prep times

See this link for why: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Magic#Casting_mechanic

Basically, prep time is currently determined by a combination of battle/standard/ritual and number of potential targets with a fee exceptuins here and there. For this reason, Bards and Clerics tend to have very high prep times while Moon Mages have low ones, for example.