Esmaril Session 05/14/2012 08:46 AM CDT
I've got a few questions for this new instrument refurbishing session...

1) What's the functional significance of having a better quality instrument?

2) Will he just be refurbishing one instrument per player?

3) Will he touch cambrinth instruments?

4) Will this refurbishment count towards the 2 session per event lmiit that's being introduced? I'm just worried that, while this does seem like a really nifty thing (what bard doesn't want fancier instruments, eh?), I don't think it'd be worth nearly as much as an alteration, and with the low cap on alterations, it might deter people from enjoying this new opportunity.

Thanks!

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Esmaril Session 05/14/2012 08:49 AM CDT
I'm also curious about what the quality of an instrument "does" or "means." I never even really noticed the quality of an instrument I've had, this makes me wonder if there's something I'm missing.

-=Issus=-
Re: Esmaril Session 05/14/2012 09:13 AM CDT
I'm fairly sure it's one of these things you see when you appraise your instruments...

> app my yarg
The ironwood yarghul appears to be a wind instrument.
You are certain that the ironwood yarghul is crafted from iron-bearing wood.
You are certain that the ironwood yarghul is of good quality. <--this
You are certain that the ironwood yarghul is fitted with a reed.
You are certain that the ironwood yarghul weighs exactly 15 stones.
You are certain that the ironwood yarghul is worth exactly 5000 lirums.

Compared to, say, this:

> appr my harp
The ebony harp appears to be a stringed instrument.
You are certain that the ebony harp is crafted from iron-bearing wood.
You are certain that the ebony harp is finely made. <--- ooooooo, fancy
You are certain that the ebony harp is strung with a set of twenty-four gut strings.
You are certain that the ebony harp is in perfect tune.
You are certain that the ebony harp weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the ebony harp is worth exactly 120000 lirums.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Esmaril Session 05/14/2012 09:48 AM CDT
Right, but, what I mean is: When I appraise a weapon and it has bone crushing impact vs. another that has poor impact, you know that the first one is better and will result in more impressive damage. When I appraise an instrument and it has masterwork quality versus good quality, you know the first one is better and...? What does it actually do?

-=Issus=-
Re: Esmaril Session 05/14/2012 10:02 AM CDT
Ah, yeah, no clue. I don't know the functional impact of upping the quality, so I was hoping to get a bit of illumination on that point.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Esmaril Session 05/14/2012 10:14 AM CDT
its like the difference between a stradavarius and those violins they used to sell at wal-mart.

quality matters when it comes to tone, overall sound. Not sure what if any impact this has had before in terms of DR. But with performance skill looming on the horizon, perhaps it will have impact upon something...

although in 3.0, with enchantes no longer going to have to be performed on instruments but rather cast, it seems like something else will have to fit in that niche, otherwise i'd venture that the quality of the instrument would impact the strength of the enchante. So... its a puzzle it seems.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Esmaril Session 05/14/2012 01:34 PM CDT
Hence my curiosity over what it means now, or could mean in the future. I know a 10 dollar Wal-mart guitar and an Epiphone are going to sound differently, but in DR, as far as I know, literally the only place where quality level is seen or takes effect is in an appraisal. Just wondering if that's incorrect, or if there's something in the future that will utilize this stat.

-=Issus=-
Re: Esmaril Session 05/14/2012 08:25 PM CDT

The primary reason I'm introducing the session is for appraisal. Whether or not it does anything else later on (likely), I really can't say right now.

Yes, it will count toward the limit, as it's being done during the guildfest.

Yes, he will handle camby instruments.
Re: Esmaril Session 05/14/2012 08:26 PM CDT

Oh, and yes, one per player, please.

-V.
Re: Esmaril Session 05/14/2012 08:33 PM CDT
So it's purely a "Behold! I raise the app value.", or does it include a regular alteration of the instrument as well? And if I use this on a bonded instrument, will it remain bonded?
Re: Esmaril Session 05/14/2012 09:24 PM CDT
What are the chances I could get her to turn a lute or a guitar or something into an Elkabongador?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Esmaril Session 05/15/2012 10:07 PM CDT

This is a raising the appraisal QUALITY.

Voucher holders will also be welcome to his normal alteration services.

We'll see about doing more than that - depends on how the session goes.
Re: Esmaril Session 05/15/2012 10:43 PM CDT
So does this mean Esmaril is still planning on showing up for today's session? I had a wander around the festival, didn't see him, nor with FIND.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Esmaril Session 05/19/2012 07:27 AM CDT

What happened to the scheduled session on the 15th? I know there was a few of us there soon as the game came back up and waited around for a while.
Re: Esmaril Session 05/19/2012 07:30 AM CDT

I think she posted somewhere that there was a scheduling conflict. I forget which boards she posted them on.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Esmaril Session 05/21/2012 07:48 AM CDT
Is there any functional difference between a violin and a fiddle in DR? Can the nouns be used interchangeably? Can a violin become a fiddle and vice versa or not?

Gnara the Gnome Trader's (and others) player