Bardic Quests and Content 03/08/2016 02:17 PM CST
Just to let you know, I am an Old Soul in a New body (Previously played Ranger, Moon Mage and Empath up to 50+ each)

With that being said, I recently came back to DR (Late January 2016) and started playing a Paladin. Decided to create a Bard for more RP opportunity and as such have ended up with my young, playful, Prydaen Bard-barian, Khylynnia. In my advancement through the ranks to my current circle, I have noticed that there really seems to be a complete lack of Bardic Quests. Now I know Silvyrfrost sends me off to find a Halfling Lad for Signal Whistle, and that little miscreant wants me to run around and get him goodies and treats in order to teach me the next rank (but I can always buy my way out of it...). This being said...

Why are there no Bardic Quests...and I mean QUESTS! Paladins have about a Half-Dozen for their Glyphs and Blessed Weapon, Rangers have them for Animal Companions and Beseeches, Clerics have Resurrect quest and a couple others, even Empaths have the quest for Shift. Bards are supposed to be the true RP guild in Elanthia, and yet WE have some of the most overlooked and incomplete content available.

Granted only Bards can learn the Song Scrolls, but what does that do for us? Gives us songs that most of us NEVER use. As a Prydaen I sing the Wheel song all the time, but Why can't I sing it in my native tongue? It IS a traditional Prydaen song, is it not? Why is there no option for true RP with that song to be sung in Prydaenese to inspire Prydaen to greater feats?

EVERYONE can play the same styles of music on their instruments...Why not have a Quest to search for a Long-Lost Master Bard that will teach us a different Play-Style that is Unique to Bards?

So many missed opportunities with Bardic Quests! How about something that allows only US to use a specific instrument? Something? ANYTHING? Pallies have soul stones and Pilgrim Badges, Clerics have Pilgrim Badges, clerics can create Holy Water(no one else can), Barbs can EAT RUNES! Yes, we have Playact, and that is awesome...But even that really has limited function, and there aren't any more Faires that have Bardic Performances...Yes, there was the Tavern Troupe's promotion of a new speaker, and that had some neat content, but where are things like the Glythtide's Faire of 366? Where are the Broadcast events that will allow Bards to showcase their talents? Yes, Finnbar won the Limerick competition in that date-night event, but other than that and a "pick-up line" competition, there has been nothing to speak of for Bards.

Ages ago, Bards like Razzer, Bubbinster, Caitilyn, Isembard and Daerlynn were sought after to perform at weddings, festivals, gatherings and even at the Mentor Society. It appears that those days have long passed and I believe that it is in part due to the lack of definable content for Bards. I have tried to inspire creativity and RP wherever I am. Sometimes I have great success, but ofttimes I fail. give us something to look forward to! Give us content driven goals and targets! Give us Options!

I also know this isn't the place for this question, but What is the status of Instrument Crafting, and what benefit will Bards get if they choose it?

Khylynnia, Prydaen Bardess, Puncher of Danglies!
Re: Bardic Quests and Content 03/08/2016 04:16 PM CST
First of all, welcome back! And I like your enthusiasm. I suggest you seek out Kelela or Shenney and talk to them about performing for the Tavern Troupe.

>>In my advancement through the ranks to my current circle, I have noticed that there really seems to be a complete lack of Bardic Quests.

So, the reason why we don't have quests boils down to the fact that we have a very small, volunteer staff. It's become small enough that they consider carefully how much time would it take to make a given thing, and how many people it would benefit. Unfortunately, quests take a lot of time because they require a lot of writing AND some coding, and in this case they would only benefit about 5% of the population (Bards). I know that is disappointing. The GMs DO take time to add things to each guild, but those tend to be passion projects and thus depend on getting a GM who is passionate about Bards.

>>Ages ago, Bards like Razzer, Bubbinster, Caitilyn, Isembard and Daerlynn were sought after to perform at weddings, festivals, gatherings and even at the Mentor Society.

At this point, it's really up to the performing Bards to get out there and let people know about their availability. Play for people, show them it can be fun and interesting. Offer to play at weddings and events. Write interesting songs that will capture people. If you have enough energy, join the Troupe and perform regularly.

>>What is the status of Instrument Crafting, and what benefit will Bards get if they choose it?

Instrument crafting will be a part of Engineering, which has received a lot of development lately -- but has not reached instruments yet. I can't speak for Kodius, the crafting GM, but I suspect he has not done them yet because the GMs may want to change the way instruments work and the kinds of bonuses they give. But that is just speculation on my part. It's also possible he just hasn't gotten to them yet.

As far as I know, Bards will get no special benefit from crafting instruments except the satisfaction of doing it. However, it's all still up in the air, so who knows really. I would strongly recommend avoiding choosing an official career or hobby until we know more, though you could certainly play around with learning Engineering in preparation.

- Navesi
Re: Bardic Quests and Content 03/08/2016 06:16 PM CST
There are quests for voice throws.
Re: Bardic Quests and Content 03/26/2016 04:50 PM CDT
For documenting reasons could someone give some of these details why the mentor society sought out the Bards for whatever the mentor society sought out Bards for?

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Bardic Quests and Content 03/26/2016 07:35 PM CDT
<<For documenting reasons could someone give some of these details why the mentor society sought out the Bards for whatever the mentor society sought out Bards for?

Like other groups, the Mentors hosted events for which they hired bards to perform at.