Armor Training 01/31/2011 09:47 AM CST
Just a general question to the other Bards here in how they approach training armor.

As the only armor tert Guild to have continuous requirements in the upper circles for 2 different armor skills, what do you do? One armor + shield, train two armors but with one full suit of one armor type at a time, or train two armors with a 2 or more combination at the same time.

I'd figure Light + Heavy Chain would be popular, but I was wondering where it stood versus say Light Chain + Shield. I'm doing Light Chain as my first right now, with a different suit of Leather Armor for the other requirement. But I'm thinking of combining it down to one combination that I constantly train and trying to figure out the popular options.

~~
Lupdels
Re: Armor Training 01/31/2011 09:50 AM CST
I train LC, HC, and Shield. Trust me, armor will never be a skill that holds you back.

-Evran

Gay, geeky, and a little bit cheeky.
Re: Armor Training 01/31/2011 10:28 AM CST
I train LC + Leather + Shield. Light Chain Body + Arms and Leather Head + Hands + Legs. Has worked great for general combat and stealth IMO :)

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Armor Training 01/31/2011 12:54 PM CST
I train LC as my main (body) and wear HP on my hands and head. I used to also train Leather but that fell by the wayside.

When I backtrain weapons I also mix it up and use LP, HC, and Leather just in case. I've never bothered with Bone on this character just because I felt I didn't need another armor.

Always train shield!
Re: Armor Training 01/31/2011 12:59 PM CST
A question on shields, as I'm currently looking at two handed weapons right now, do you wear the shields or hold them? As an armor tert I'm wondering if the small size of possible worn shields limits their protection to the point that I'd either be better off with nothing at all, or giving up the two handed weapons.

I'm also debating the trade off between the hindrance problems of Leather + LC over LC + HC and the possibility that I'll be stuck back training if we continue to have 2 armor skill requirements after the combination of LC and HC into one skill. Of course maybe Defending would be part of the Guild Requirements?

~~
Lupdels
Re: Armor Training 01/31/2011 02:20 PM CST
I use leather + shield, and I use a worn buckler. I've never had a problem defending myself. In fact, under the current system, small shields are actually best: the improved defense of a larger shield is a constant bonus, while the penalty from hindrance scales with evasion. This is one thing new combat will fix.

New combat should make shield + 2 handed weapon a much less feasible combination, though. So looking ahead, you probably want to choose a different setup. Of course, new combat will also make evasion + parry a viable defense; so you can stick with 2 handers if you want.
Re: Armor Training 01/31/2011 02:33 PM CST
I originally trained with leather, but then went back and trained up LC and have been wearing that since. In both cases, I've worn a buckler as my second armor and trained shield. It's worked well enough for me, but I've also not done much hiding.
Re: Armor Training 02/01/2011 07:57 AM CST
leathers as primary, then backtrain heavy plate and shield while i backtrain other weapons.

Regards,
Vteec
Re: Armor Training 02/01/2011 08:46 PM CST
Meigs has been using LC body armor, HC helm, and HP handguards since he was a bardling. Tried leathers at first and got tired of getting killed, so he switched up to LC/HC. The HP started because he thought a bard should use extra protection on his hands so he can always play an instrument. Plus he got a lot less hand stuns after he switched. The main drawback is stealth, but that's not all that important to Meigs, so it's not that much of a drawback and can be overcome by extra work.

As far as shield and two-handed weapons, he's never had any problem putting the shield away, fighting with a two-hander, and then taking the shield back out and switching to a one-handed weapon, switching stances back and forth as needed. He's been fighting this way for a long time and shield is his highest armor with both two-hand skills within 30% of primary weapon requirements. Since he tends to set his stances to ignore either shield or parry, wearing a shield with a two-haded weapon wouldn't end up getting contested anyway.

Course Meigs is a traditionalist (read curmudgeon) and slow to adopt new ways of fighting, so YMMV.

He also mutters about all the damn kids, this new-fangled crap that keeps needing to be repaired, not like the old armor they used to sell that didn't get damaged, and how much better life was back in the old days when something, something, something - I don't know, I stop listening after a while...

Dave, often amused by Meigs and his antics
Re: Armor Training 02/02/2011 05:04 PM CST
I've not played any of my bards in a while. But my trader trains shield and mostly leather. She does use a chain balaclava and a pair of LP gauntlets from the armor store in Therenborough. In any case, she seldom gets really hurt when she's hunting.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy