Requirement Question 04/02/2010 12:17 AM CDT
I can't remember the reason that was given, (the best I can remember was that it wasn't "bardly") but is there still the thinking that bards shouldn't/can't use stealing for one of our 6 survival requirements?

If so, is there any reasoning, preferrably something better than it isn't "bardly" because that just doesn't make much sense to me.

I'll point out my thoughts why real quick:
...we share/teach voice throw with thieves
...we share/teach slips with thieves
...my remembrance of lore from this long ago might be a little rusty, but IIRC the reasoning for the ABOVE two (slips/VT) was that during the time when the guild was in hiding from the DP, we found friendship with thieves.

Thnx

__
Ferdahl Aemmin just arrived.
Huldah says, "Sup Fivehead. How you doin'?"
Re: Requirement Question 04/02/2010 11:11 AM CDT
Despite the past - and I totally agree with you on the ties between the bard and thief guilds in that past - the guild is functioning now in the open in the provinces, as upholders of truth, justice, and the Elanthian way..

Sorry, was going off weird there.

Anyhow, they're functioning in harmony with the provincial governments. So you're really not going to see the guildleaders encouraging the practice of illegal activities - and allowing folks to circle using stealing would be seen as approving of those activities.

Make sense?

(Now, if there were mechs in place to allow separate reqs for different GLs, I'd love to see an underground-type GL - heck, we all know who would fit THAT role, right? - who WOULD accept ranks in stealing. But I don't see that happening right now, or really even in the near future; the most I could see would be someone who would be willing to do GLish type functions, perhaps other than circling, when you're wanted or on the outs with the official GLs.)

-V.

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Requirement Question 04/02/2010 11:20 AM CDT
On a side note, I'd like to see us move away from being considered politically aligned with the governments. I'd rather see bards be considered a thorn in the side of the upper crust due to outspoken members pointing out the follies on both sides of any issue. It seems like that's really what got the guild stomped the first time.

I'd like to see us get some more flavor on the lawless side of things. I always kind of considered bards like Thieves with magic in DR rather than Paladins with instruments. I'd like to see the guild encouraging us to do whatever the heck we want to circle, and the governments not bothering to give us crap about it because the vocal backlash would be too much effort to put up with.

Just my take on things. :) It's kind of funny how many guilds I've heard saying these days that they don't really know what it means to be one of that guild. Empaths, Paladins, WMs, Bards, Rangers... I haven't even really looked into the other guilds. Kind of makes me think we're all in the same "Wait, what are we again?" boat after so many years of tweaks and nudges in guild direction.

-=Issus=-
Re: Requirement Question 04/02/2010 11:37 AM CDT
In the future, it'll be possible to train stealing in legal ways (stealing boxes from creatures). I expect the bard guild position will shift when stealing becomes more of a sleight-of-hand skill than a shoplifting skill.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Requirement Question 04/02/2010 12:27 PM CDT
Personally I like the slight of hand side of Stealing. The part that I think is far to rampant is people wondering around with 'thuggish' titles.

I know we are in the Bard folder, but I really feel that no matter what guild you are there should be rather drastic problems with this (not eclipsing the problems of being a Necromancer, or using things of a Sorcerous nature. But they should be close).

I can understand how all guilds besides the Thieves, and possibly the Moon Mages (they seem to chose off the beaten path areas for their Observatory). Even Rangers I don't have the feel that it should be part of their circle requirements, more that oh well your a survivalist if you want to do it, I guess. Just don't let it be widely known...

Sorry for the digression.
Re: Requirement Question 04/02/2010 02:31 PM CDT
Makes sense, and thanks for the refresher post, V.

It looks like most guilds had it removed from available requirements at some point (it had been a while since I checked) but not counting Necros and Thieves, Rangers (??) are the only other guild that can use stealing as a requirement to circle.

Rangers notwithstanding, I'm glad to see its more in line with a "government sponsored" type of deal.

I would love the idea of Super Secret Snakey underground GL though who would accept you even if you're wanted/stealing ranks.

Thanks again :)

__
Ferdahl Aemmin just arrived.
Huldah says, "Sup Fivehead. How you doin'?"
Re: Requirement Question 04/02/2010 04:46 PM CDT
Could have sworn Moon Mages accepted it... Not sure... can't find anything on Elanthipedia (not that that is any guarantee), though I recall seeing a post from a player that wasn't corrected by any GM on our forums that it was, nor the players correcting him... Well what not.

Re: Requirement Question 04/02/2010 05:38 PM CDT
>>Could have sworn Moon Mages accepted it

Not anymore :-)

- Terra
Re: Requirement Question 04/03/2010 09:18 AM CDT
>>Could have sworn Moon Mages accepted it
<<Not anymore :-)

And they've been repeatedly told its not going to be included again. The closest thing to a moon mage guru (Bursaal) even posted recently that it won't happen under his watch if he can help it. :(

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Requirement Question 04/03/2010 10:35 AM CDT
Glad to hear that, most have overlooked that post.

Re: Requirement Question 04/03/2010 10:46 AM CDT
And just in case someone says prove it...

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=24&topic=5&message=4025

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Requirement Question 04/03/2010 11:11 AM CDT
Exemplary job showing off your Lore skills, you seem a very adequate scholar!

Re: Requirement Question 04/06/2010 12:13 PM CDT
>>I'd like to see us move away from being politically aligned with the governments.

I really don't think you want to see this. It sounds cool ICly, and maybe some underground element of Bards not afraid to go around the boundaries of the law (see: Dragon Age Origins for an awesome example), but the entire guild moving away from political alliance, even back-door deals, with the local government?

I can think of two guilds who spurned or spurn the government like that: Necromancers, and the Thieves under Kalag. You know, right before the guild was purged and Kalag was killed? That doesn't seem like an astute in-character desire IMO, to aspire to be the new Kalag.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Requirement Question 04/06/2010 01:16 PM CDT
The difference being that we're not a guild of undead raisers or criminals. The bard guild being buddy buddy with the governments of Elanthia seems counterproductive to one of their reasons for being. It's like having all the news stations become government run: It takes away from the credibility of those stations.

I don't know, it seems to me that being a bard in DR is currently kind of relegated to "Sing songs and stuff" as far as overall RP. Bards have roles as emissaries and such, but that's more of an individual thing, not a guild direction. I think it'd be interesting if we saw more events and opportunities to act more in the "Voice of the People" roles, and conversely in more "Tell the people what I want you to tell them" roles for those so inclined. I'd love if a GMPC from Forfedhar asked me to go tell everyone in Zoluren how great it is to vacation there, or have the guild contact some of us to go spread information/disinformation somewhere.

-=Issus=-
Re: Requirement Question 04/09/2010 09:58 AM CDT
It's not so much a buddy-buddy thing - I mean, the guild has gone anti-government before (under the DPs), and Macfrae hid his guildhall during the Outcast rule in Shard. It's more a matter of being in agreement with the local law. Right now, the governing authorities aren't doing much that the guild itself would disagree with (or would disagree with so strongly as to feel it necessary to break alliance vs. trying to nudge change from within).

Individual bards may of course feel differently (thus the appeal of a rogue-type figure who could teach a bard on the outs with the guild - though in many cases, a bard would be more likely to just be on the outs with a specific GL or within a specific province).

Anyhow, it's not an old-boy type of connection. The guild just happens to be pretty much in agreement with the current leaders of the various provinces. If that changes in such a way as to prompt the guild speaking out and risking that approved/backed-by-the-authorities status, they will. Been there, done that, bought the neithrel band. ;)

-V.

-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Requirement Question 04/09/2010 10:03 AM CDT
Oh - and bards having more herald/scribe type of jobs? Sounds nifty...

-V.

-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Requirement Question 04/09/2010 01:10 PM CDT
>Oh - and bards having more herald/scribe type of jobs? Sounds nifty...

Yeah. One of the consistent excuses I use for leaving when I need to go RL is that I have to go work in the archives transcribing or researching.

~Faih