Sircha 09/20/2010 09:46 PM CDT
Ooh, ooh! For the love of God. STOP POSTING. You have some of the most idiotic ideas. There might be one or two GRANULES of a good idea in them, but with all the other crap you stack in with them make them absolute garbage to read.

<<I <3 Bleach.

Yes, I'm beginning to love it too.

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: Sircha 09/21/2010 03:21 AM CDT
Forced to agree with the original poster.

Sircha, I think it's great that you're enthusiastic about bard guild development and it's great that you are willing to contribute ideas.

However, many of them are (what's the best word for it) shortsighted, no, unbalanced...no, silly!

I can see some concepts that have might be interesting. But they are completely drowned out by the deluge of less than stellar ideas that display no basic understanding of game mechanics or feasiblity.

My mind is boggled by the posts about proposed bardic abilities, especially for:

PRANKING: Seriously ?? You honestly want to waste the Bard GM(s) time with this rubbish? It's not even a reasonable ability.

Assuming once a month, a minimum of 10 bards assist and EACH want to create some ridiculous prank messaging or what-have-you, I guarantee 5 out of the 10 will have ideas that are unacceptable and the GM(s) will be forced to spend at least 30 minutes trying to explain why Bard X's idea is just not going to happen. And 2-3 of them will CONTINUE to reassist to argue why their "new" idea is completely different and yet still introduces the same concept that was rejected in the first place.

Not to imagine the numerous posts and emails that random players would send going "Helloooooo, why is no one attending to my assist???"

Gosh! I can't imagine any GM who would willingly spend that amount of time just dealing with individual, useless prank abilities when their hours could be better spent, oh I don't know, maybe WORKING ON ACTUAL BARD GUILD DEVELOPMENT!

Prankster's Trunk of Tricks: ...Wow. 1,000-2,000 utterly useless items in a trunk in extradimensional space. Oh, you mean you want the Shadow Servant ability without the inconveniences of having to lug it around with you or keep an eye on your servant?

And yay, risk character corruption!

Yeah, that is totally not going to happen.

A trunk is a nice idea, but not in the form you mentioned.

Bardic quip: I am not even going to waste my time talking about this.

:/

That being said, it is pretty nice how excited you are about this. I just wish that you took time to think about your ideas carefully and consider its feasibility and whether or not mechanics can support your ideas. There are some concepts that have potential, but they flicker and die away because of the lack of foresight.

Pam
Re: Sircha 09/21/2010 05:16 AM CDT
Finally! It's very good of you to come out of your shell and talk!

I thought I was going to have to suggest blue polka dot dancing monkeys juggling pebbles for peanuts so we could automatically learn musical theory, mech lore and perception without needing to do much.

I can see we have very differing ideas on how to go about discussing guild development.

In my world I view the forums as a huge drawing board, anyone can jump in at any time with their own colored markers and contribute new ideas, or improve newly suggested ones. Your more than welcome to step in on any idea I have, reply to it and say what you think is better. I am not offended at all, and I heartily encourage and welcome it!

I've found the absolute lack of discussion a bit disturbing, there used to be all kinds of discussion about every bardic ability and improvement mentioned on the Bard Forums!

If all ideas were set in stone the moment they were conceived and never discussed we'd all be living in medieval Europe right now believing the world is flat.

Ideas are never meant to be set in stone, that is what vetting the idea and the existance of GM's are for. Perhaps the guild has lost sight of that?

Nothing is set in stone, and so what if my ideas are way out there?! Ideas are ideas, they are a penny a dozen, and if you don't ever think outside of the box, and gaze into the realm of the impossible, then your missing out on an entire world of what is possible.

>Prankster's Trunk of Tricks: ...Wow. 1,000-2,000 utterly useless items in a trunk in extradimensional space. Oh, you mean you want the Shadow Servant ability without the inconveniences of having to lug it around with you or keep an eye on your servant?

Nope wasn't even thinking about shadow servants, I was thinking about Leomund's Secret Chest from D&D, the Warrior Mage ability to Aether Rift, and Player Ships without the huge expense. Yeah I know it's a little high, but I would rather aim high and hit a middle target, than aim low and get a bullseye. Storing items is expensive in game, and if we could have an extradimensional plane. Separate server? Computing power/memory is getting cheaper all the time. Where we could store stuff like props, and then only access to pull items in/out when we needed an odd prop or something.

On a separate note, I was thinking what a wonderful benefit such an ability would be to the Bard's Guild. We would have a lot more people in our guild, which would tip guild advancement more in our favor.

I <3 Bleach. ~Sircha
MY Blue Dragon http://dragcave.net/view/unW7
MY Pink Dragon http://dragcave.net/view/kd0t
MY Autumn Dragon http://dragcave.net/view/ZfhN
MY Adult Autumn Dragon http://dragcave.net/view/n/Lady%20Autumn
Re: Sircha 09/21/2010 06:13 AM CDT
Yeah, well, I don't participate in bard things simply because I don't seriously play any bard nor do I have any intention to participate in giving suggestions to a guild I am not familiar with.

I'm just a regular forum reader who got tired of reading your "suggestions" which seem to be reinforcing the idea that bards are nothing more than performing monkeys. I was under the impression that the direction the Gms are intending to take the bards is to be more than that.
Re: Sircha 09/21/2010 06:55 AM CDT
Heh, Sircha, one of the reasons I really like some of your ideas is because they remind me a lot of some of the stuff I used to come up with a couple years ago.

Needless to say, none of my old ideas ever got released, and probably weren't even considered because of the wide-sweeping fantastical and ZOMG -ness of said ideas which quite frankly really didn't pay any attention to current game mechanics or game balance, as is a similar trend with some of your ideas.

So, I can empathize with where some of your stuff is coming from--brainstorming sessions are super fun and you can really get wrapped up in just thinking of all sorts of ideas :)

The problem is the fact that we play a game that other people have to develop. The realistic probability that these fantastical ideas will actually get put into the game are very slim by their shear complexity and moving parts. Not to say that you shouldn't brainstorm these ideas to begin with, but as an example I've turned to GameMastering D&D 4th edition where I am the one that has control over which of my fantastical ideas get put into a game or not. It's me who's doing the work, and I'm not creating earthquakes within an already existing game in order to implement said ideas.

In my opinion it would behoove you to consider comparing and adjusting some of your ideas based off of present and planned game development. That way, some of your ideas may have a better shot of making their way into the game, and you won't have people ::psyduck:: -ing all over the place ;)

Keep up the great creativity--I'm quite sure that most of your ideas can be restructured to fit into the mold of this game.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Sircha 09/21/2010 07:17 AM CDT
Actually now that I recall, I first started playing DragonRealms a little around a decade ago as a Moon Mage named Stigma and I remember running into you in some swampy area. You totally scared the hell out of us when you did this crazy SOUL SPLIT thing and started talking in tongues--both me and my friend had no idea what was going on so we booked it.

So A+ for totally enriching our RP experience at the time. I tell you what, I thought you were a GMPC boss or something and didn't go back into that area for months.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Sircha 09/21/2010 07:44 AM CDT
I've had a lot of benedryl because of allergies, so excuse any incoherency.

Its exceedingly frustrating to me, as a player to see ideas that may have a granule of merit in them but are so sidetracked by unobtainable and sometimes ridiculous ideas that then no one wants to discuss them.

To me, ideas should be presented moderately, discussed and expounded on. In my experience this makes a higher percentage of an idea actually getting approval or implementation. When an idea doesn't even have one foot in reality, people will tend to ignore it, think of it as ridiculous, and move on.

Personally, it's also exceedingly frustrating to me that a lot of these ideas seem to be a "step backwards". While it's a valid style of roleplay to play the jokester, the prankster, the drunk, etc - it has (in my opinion and some other peoples I know) been the sole identification of the guild for FAR too long. Lately, thanks to GMs and player work - I think we've gotten a little away from that as the only identity a bard is saddled with immediately. Bards like Terra, Issus, Aveda have all helped define different "sole identifiers" based on things like (in order) history and lore, combat and wit and finally pure power.

I think a lot of people want development for the bard guild badly, too. I know I do - it's just very hard for me to take any of your ideas seriously as they pertain either to the mechanics of DR (a limitation that sometimes HAS to be the reason for not making an ability as awesome as we'd like), game balance, and/or just specific game canon.

Maybe try taking a step back, and looking harder at these when you post/think of new ideas will help foster more discussion and exchanging of new ideas. Right now, its kind of simply off-putting.

__
AIM: Ysselt
Re: Sircha 09/21/2010 07:59 AM CDT
Excellent post, huldah's pal.

You stated your opinions very reasonably and without the emotions that I was experiencing reading Sircha's posts in the middle of my work day.
Re: Sircha 09/21/2010 09:40 AM CDT
Practicing PlayACT and working on a mini play for Tavern Troupe tryouts while hunting in the swamp troll swarm room. And incorporating gamgweth singing. You guys stepped in at the wrong moment, I think a greater slaugh nailed one of you with a rock. I actually wanted to ask you to come back and hunt with me at the time, Paerr was missing that month and I couldn't find ya around after.

I just don't have enough energy to go about doing that anymore.
Good Times it was.

I <3 Bleach. ~Sircha
MY Blue Dragon http://dragcave.net/view/unW7
MY Pink Dragon http://dragcave.net/view/kd0t
MY Autumn Dragon http://dragcave.net/view/ZfhN
MY Adult Autumn Dragon http://dragcave.net/view/n/Lady%20Autumn
Re: Sircha 09/21/2010 10:03 AM CDT
<<I can see we have very differing ideas on how to go about discussing guild development.

The problem is that you're idea of guild development seems to be stuck in 1999, while the rest of us have evolved with the game (and the game with us) to what we have today. I get the distinct impression you haven't bothered to read about any of the guild development on these forums since your return. Or if you did, you didn't retain any of the information.

<<In my world I view the forums as a huge drawing board, anyone can jump in at any time with their own colored markers and contribute new ideas, or improve newly suggested ones.

As a friend said while commenting about this thread: Sircha isn't using markers, she's using finger paints and messing up the picture.

<<I've found the absolute lack of discussion a bit disturbing, there used to be all kinds of discussion about every bardic ability and improvement mentioned on the Bard Forums!

I think we've all been too busy collectively facepalming to really respond to anything you've posted. But I think that the frustration has built up so much we have no choice now but to respond.

The problem with your ideas is that they aren't moving the guild FORWARD, they'd be taking the guild BACKWARDS and would tear down a lot of the work people have put in to make bards not look like the drunken fool/prankster/jokester. Bards have become a lot more than that thanks to a handful of people who have worked very hard to turn that around.

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: Sircha 09/21/2010 11:47 AM CDT
>> Ysselt's post

This about sums it up for me.

Sircha, I would suggest looking at maybe what is currently on the plate for the Guild development wise and starting there instead of off in left field.

I can respect the feelings of those Bards on the performance side of the guild since Derivan used to be involved pretty heavily in the Tavern Troupe, weddings, plays, ect. Magic trunks and songbows, I just don't get. Maybe discussing expanding playact or rewriting Theater mechanics could be a useful and productive discussion.

We have recently moved from being a joke combat and PVP-wise to almost playable from that side of the guild. Call of the Siren has made training as a Bard in combat amazing. The transition of Bardic magic to something in line with the rest of the guilds and other new enchantes like SIRE will make the guild more attractive to those not just interested in strutting about onstage. I would like to continue to see the guild grow as a whole and not be pigeon-holed into the drunk lush, jester, entertainer role.

Just my thoughts.
Re: Sircha 09/21/2010 01:48 PM CDT
I'll just repost what I put on SC right here with a few minor edits given the forum:

The problem isn't that she's posting ideas, it's that she's posting nonsensical ideas that have no place in the game. She has ignored all of the progress we've made collectively towards finding a valid and fun direction for the guild and is still posting in the 1999 mindset of willy nilly development because it sounds neato, with no consideration for the game environment or balance. She needs to back off and read the posts she's missed over the past few years and figure out the lay of the land.

-=Issus=-
Re: Sircha 09/21/2010 05:21 PM CDT
I want to put in that while some of the stuff Sircha posts is a little, umm where is this coming from...

Unless Raesh is posting, this Guild Folder seems dead, though Raesh you Toad of Fate, your Fating us to post more, so keep it up, or something...

So what I am trying to say is, I am glad Sircha is posting. Just wish it was a little more, with the current flow.

Re: Sircha 09/22/2010 03:28 PM CDT
While I havn't played a Bard in a long time and therefore might not have a place in this discussion...

I find it incredibly surprising that Bards, of ALL people, are telling other Bards how Bards SHOULD be played. When did it become a terrible thing for a Bard to want to be the buffoon, or the prankster, or the clown? Last I checked, these were titles your Guild had to choose from. Whats wrong with someone wanting to play on them?

It seems like a good number of you are talking to Sircha like she is single-handedly setting back some kind of grand movement. She's not. She wants to play her Bard a certain way, so naturally any ideas she has towards the development of the Bard guild is going to be geared more towards her style of playing.

Now, I'll grant that her ideas aren't very well thought out and are pretty well out there in the non-sensical of things. But thats how a lot of great ideas start. It isn't like a lot of ideas that HAVE been used in DR all made complete and total sense right at their conception. It takes a lot of people to build a great idea, and at least ONE of them (in this case, Sircha) has to be insane enough to put new concepts out there. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with someone being overly-enthusiastic towards their guild and trying to help by comming up with ideas.

One of the things I've always liked and respected about the Bard guild is that you all at least SEEM like you hold onto a certain group loyalty towards eachother. I've never seen Bards seemingly go for the throat of your own like I've seen some of you do to Sircha.

Instead of acting like you're all two steps away from holding her down on a bed and taking turns hitting her with socks filled with bars of soap, maybe try and find SOME kind of spark of good in her ideas and run with them with her. You never know what you might come up with. Yeah, she may come up with a hundred and three ideas that should be ignored (and yes, if you don't like her then you CAN just ignore them and move on instead of reading them and then talking about how terribly you think they are). But she could also come up with a few that might be totally brilliant if she had people to help her with them.

- Asdiel, Death Dealer in training

"You've got to be crazy. It's too late to be sane. You've got to go full-tilt. Cause you're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing." -Robin Williams
Re: Sircha 09/22/2010 04:01 PM CDT
We're giving her feedback on her ideas, no one has ranted or flown off the handle from what I've seen. None of us is saying how bards should be played, either. Everyone is free to play their bard however they see fit. However, asking for dev time to focus so thoroughly on such a narrow concept as the "Prankster Bard" means less dev time for every other sort of Bard there is.

As it stands now, there are three Heritages being worked on that do a very good job of covering a wide variety of play styles. Some of us would rather see ideas posted in support of those Heritages or Bards as a whole than see more and more posts supporting things or factions that simply will never be.

More importantly, how you play your Bard is a matter of RP. There are a lot of general things that one would enjoy mechanically to support their RP choices, and those things are being worked on now. To expect these additions to focus that narrowly, though, isn't reasonable: If you want to be a prankster...go play pranks on people. Just don't abuse the heck out of ACT to do it.

-=Issus=-