Judgemental Jerks 12/02/2008 08:20 AM CST
<< You've been RESOLVEd by a bard who's too lazy to sing enchantes quietly in a high traffic area. I'd suggest bringing it to their attention and if they refuse to stop singing loudly, make them stop >>

What a jerk thing to say. There are 7,000 situations where that issue with resolve happens. Or wait, it might be the way a bard chooses to play, you know, thats why its a toggle switch to begin with. Loud / Soft apparently is too complex for an over active person who just wants to slam peoples choices.

The person who was hit by it, was trying to clearify what the penalty was. Not MAKE someone stop doing anything.

Tea
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/02/2008 09:01 AM CST
Dare anyone to guess who was one of the many Bards who hit me with the spellsong.
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/02/2008 09:43 AM CST
I didn't realize she was such a wimp, to need to resolve stuff that hadn't even engaged.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/02/2008 10:14 AM CST
DMRS is a quick song that people tend to play when the swarm gets too big. They are usually playing something else and needed to quickly Resolve, typically the resolve is played at whatever volume the previous song was being sung at. I sometimes use DMRS to hunt at range and get stronger hits with my ranged weapon so it is useful in those situations to Resolve critters at missile range.

While I understand it happens some times, I also try to maintain a little awareness of where I use it too. There's a difference between using it in Leucros and at the reflex trainer in Swains for instance.

?I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...?
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/02/2008 10:34 AM CST
>>They are usually playing something else and needed to quickly Resolve, typically the resolve is played at whatever volume the previous song was being sung at.<<

I can understand this point, but I think first and foremost you should always be very aware of where you're hunting and how your next action may effect someone wandering in. You wouldn't want to accidentally hit someone with Pyre or Aether Wolves either, would you?

The only time I use all of my enchantes 'loudly' is when I'm hunting in very very remote hunting areas, like the Velakan Desert or in some lesser travelled areas of Forfedhar. There are rare occasions when I slip up and forget that I was singing Lilt loudly and accidentally resolve someone, there's no harm in simple human error. I always go out of my way to apologize to anyone if they're accidentally hit with one of my songs.

But I think the point is to show other hunters the courtesy you would expect to receive yourself.

And there are plenty of bardic "oh crap" buttons that don't hit players. Whistle Piercing, Bluff Dead, Scream Defiance and as a general verb, Flee. Whistle piercing tends to be the most effective in my experience, since it works on everything.

- Terra
_______
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
>chant pyre
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/02/2008 10:35 AM CST
<<What a jerk thing to say. There are 7,000 situations where that issue with resolve happens. Or wait, it might be the way a bard chooses to play, you know, thats why its a toggle switch to begin with. Loud / Soft apparently is too complex for an over active person who just wants to slam peoples choices.

LOL. Seriously, if a bard is in a very high traffic area like Gryphons, why the heck are they singing loudly? They know they're going to hit people with it because of the traffic. And by they I'm pretty sure I mean you going by your knee-jerk response and the first response to your post.

I'm not entirely certain why you think that statement makes me a 'Judgemental Jerk.' I suggested bringing it to the bards attention first. Benefit of the doubt and all. If at that point they refused to adjust their use of AoE in a high traffic area they should then take action. Just because you don't like it, it is more than within their right to take action even without the warning. You hit them with a significant combat debuff when you had the ability to avoid it altogether. That has consent written all over it, especially if you were to continue doing it after they asked. You mentioned choices. Choices come with consequences.

Basically LOUD/QUIET exist so that Bards can now use more of our enchantes in high traffic areas while still playing nice with the others in the area. The ones that refuse to use the mechanic are the jerks and give the rest of us a bad name, especially if they don't think they deserve the consequences of doing so. There are some enchantes like DEMA that aren't LOUD/QUIET capable and I'm more lenient in those cases, but when the option is there the Bard out of respect should use it or accept the potential of a conseqence.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/02/2008 10:48 AM CST
>>There are some enchantes like DEMA that aren't LOUD/QUIET capable<<

Actually, DEMA is loud/quiet capable. I frequently use it when hunting on M'Riss and noticed on numerous occasions that the balance hit only is for creatures you are engaged to if you are singing quietly. The only part that is not able to be controlled is the whirlwind picking things up on the ground, which is fine because you're not going to blow anything away unless you're standing there entirely too long, or if it's your spot.

But I see your point here. And I agree.

- Terra
_______
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
>chant pyre
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/02/2008 11:00 AM CST
<<Actually, DEMA is loud/quiet capable. I frequently use it when hunting on M'Riss and noticed on numerous occasions that the balance hit only is for creatures you are engaged to if you are singing quietly.

Hmm... I know I did some testing a while back and it definitely gave the balance hit when QUIET then. It may have changed since then so I'll go out and test. Thanks for the heads up!

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/02/2008 01:08 PM CST
This will solve all your loud/resolve issues
\rstop sing\rsing dmrs\rsong quiet\r

His comment may have angered you Tea, but I'm pretty sure ever since the toggle change if you hit someone with your enchante they have the right to attack you.

Kleis
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/02/2008 05:36 PM CST
>>Seriously, if a bard is in a very high traffic area like Gryphons, why the heck are they singing loudly? They know they're going to hit people with it because of the traffic. And by they I'm pretty sure I mean you going by your knee-jerk response and the first response to your post.

My Bard sings loudly all the time and he doesn't hit people very often. :'(

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/09/2008 06:24 PM CST
Wow this thread is funny. Just for this I'll be sure to perma set myself to loud.

Sephirin/LOUD
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/10/2008 05:07 PM CST
"Wow this thread is funny. Just for this I'll be sure to perma set myself to loud."

make sure to sing chorus in the clerics guild or abandoned hearts in the empaths guild while you're doing this.

Singing enchantes loudly is fine, just dont get pissy when someone decides to kill you for it

Kleis
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/11/2008 03:28 PM CST
>Singing enchantes loudly is fine, just dont get pissy when someone decides to kill you for it

I know I would kill you for it.

Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/11/2008 07:51 PM CST
"I know I would kill you for it."

Yeah but you suck so we don't have to worry about that :)

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/12/2008 07:43 AM CST
o no he dih-int!

:oP Ragran
Idon Raider
____We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves

_____www.idonraiders.com
Re: Judgemental Jerks 12/12/2008 08:20 AM CST
>Yeah but you suck so we don't have to worry about that :)

I will see you in the pit, sir.

... and avoid you outside of it.