Power of the Eye 08/05/2004 05:54 PM CDT

You notice an off timbre note as some of the mana leaks from the spell pattern.
(You are performing the intro of Eye of Kertigen.)
You feel a momentary flash of clarity surround you. Your skin tingles, and as you gaze about, you feel as if you can see more clearly.
Closing your eyes, you allow your senses to absorb the knowledge your power is bringing you.

You sense the presence of someone who is hidden.
>
A great clanging bell peals three times, and a booming voice cries, "All ashore who's going ashore!"
>search
You search around for a moment.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
You notice Saelia who is quite obviously attempting to remain hidden.

The conflict I have, is that I'm singing Eye at my maximum mana without it backfiring(20), and me searching finds someone easier than the song itself. Keep in mind, I have 98 perception, and since survival isn't one of our strong points, I'm gettin to where I kinda wanna rely on the song for perception. What I want to know, is when the Eye will pass my perception in usefullness. This might fit the enchante discussion folder, but at first, it was a complaint in my mind. Now I just want to know if Eye of Kertigen is really worth the trouble to get(not factoring how nicely it teaches), and what it does in general. It sure doesn't look like it's any better than my perception. Maybe it gets better as you get higher, or if you cross that threshold that gives you the green aura.

Leilond
Re: Power of the Eye 08/05/2004 06:44 PM CDT
You have to remember the Eye also improves your perception as well. You also have to realize just because you think you are singing it at 20 mana doesn't mean your are using all of that mana efficiently and effectively.Because of your skill in magic you might really only be singing it at an effective 10 mana for power of the effect. In this case, it most likely is that your magic isn't strong enough to sense them alone, but when you search for them, the Eye was enough to boost your perception skill.

Solo
Re: Power of the Eye 08/07/2004 05:16 AM CDT
Heh, nah, I think the first post may have been closer to the truth. A good way to test how much of a perception boost you're receiving is to go and get a set of 1 stone jugglies, and throw them around a few times to get an idea of how many you can normally get into the air. Next, sing Eye of Kertigen at your highest mana threshold, and juggle again, noting how many you're able to get into the air then.

Now here comes the fun part.

Stop singing Eye of Kertigen and go find a Moon Mage with similar PM skill to yourself. Have that Moonie cast a CV on you at their mana threshold. Don't sing Eye of Kertigen, and juggle again. Last time I experimented with this, I was receiving a noticebly larger boost from the Moonie's spell compared to our enchante.. Even though our PM was quite similar.

..perception sure is great, man.
~Grimsel