Performing 07/12/2012 06:48 PM CDT
I haven't skimmed through and found anything about this but the circle reqs BUT:
Why do we have such a high req for performing when essentially it is going to do nothing that we know of right now?

I understand being required to do music, that's what we've always been belittled down to, it's what we'll always be observed as is musicians.

But my big question is, why does it have to be our primary lore? Honestly, if there isn't going to be a real mechanical use, aside from just fluff, I don't know if I want to be a Bard anymore. It's bad enough I need 5 in every instrument to circle, but when it goes up to needing 6 per circle and it still doesn't do anything useful then it's just going to be a total time drain.

The heritage houses, the more modern lore, everything about the guild has been trying to shift us away from so much focus on just performing, so why not make our circle reqs reflect that.

Also we might be going to get a few perks, but by the sound of things most of it isn't going to be exclusive to us. Why not replace our large performing requirement with Bardic Lore and treat us more like Empaths and Traders by making our big primary lore something truly useful for us. Let performing be a soft cap lore.
Re: Performing 07/13/2012 05:42 AM CDT
>>Honestly, if there isn't going to be a real mechanical use, aside from just fluff, I don't know if I want to be a Bard anymore.

At the Bard guild meeting, Raesh detailed his plans for Performance. If I recall correctly, it will involve going to different locations and playing in different styles in order to earn coins/treasure (e.g. treasure map as a rare drop) and reputation.

It may of course also be used for things other than what was mentioned there. There have been player suggestions for it to be used to disguise one's combat ability, and I could see it used for disguises in general, etc.

>>It's bad enough I need 5 in every instrument to circle,

Just checking, but did you know that this will reduce to one skill with instruments being combined?

>>Why not replace our large performing requirement with Bardic Lore

This is something I'd be in favor of. I do think Performance is shaping up to be a nice skill and it should have a place in the reqs, but I'd rather Bards' number one focus be on their special guild skill.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Performing 07/13/2012 05:52 AM CDT
As soon as Bardic Lore becomes reasonably trainable, we'll be getting a req in it. So don't think that it's a case of Performance in place of Bardic Lore.
Re: Performing 07/13/2012 02:16 PM CDT
Yeah that's great that we can coin/map farm with a non-combat skill I guess. But that's still mostly fluff. It doesn't give us any shape, form, or fashion of a real benefit otherwise. I'd have no doubt we'd earn just as much (probably more)and most likely have a higher of getting maps just going out there and hunting.

Yes, I know it's going to be combined into one skill but right now it pretty much is with the amazing .reckus scripts.
Re: Performing 07/13/2012 09:07 PM CDT
Which is why the skill needs development.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose