You are still performing your last song! 12/05/2010 11:32 PM CST
I think this is likely to be on the to-do list with Magic 3.0, but just in case its not... Please to be getting rid of this annoyance:

> sing hamr
That is not a recognized emote. Please type SAY by itself for syntax.

You sing in a baritone voice:

"Hamr"

(Time to Next Singing: 3 seconds.)
> sing harm
You are still performing your last song!
(Wait 2 seconds.)

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/05/2010 11:41 PM CST
I believe Zeyurn said that cyclics will be usable using "cast" syntax as well as "sing" syntax in 3.0. So just typing "cast <cyclic>" should fix that problem.
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 01:20 AM CST
As a note -- I know what causes "That is not a recognized emote. Please type SAY by itself for syntax." and it annoys me. However the SING verb is woefully out of data and in need of an entire rewrite I can't really justify at this time without pushing back non cosmetic work unless I can sucker someone else into it.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 11:39 AM CST
<<I believe Zeyurn said that cyclics will be usable using "cast" syntax as well as "sing" syntax in 3.0. So just typing "cast <cyclic>" should fix that problem.

My vote would still be to have the "sing" verb fixed for Magic 3.0 so those that still want to use the "sing" syntax aren't penalized for typos. I.e. 'just use cast" is not an acceptable answer to the problem IMO. If two verbs do the same thing for a given situation, they should work identically.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 12:25 PM CST
It's my understanding that CAST and SING in Magic 3.0 will not do the same thing. SING will work as a combination of PREPARE and CAST(preparing the spell and then casting it automatically after the spell is fully prepared the same way enchantes work now), while CAST would just be casting after you have already prepared the spell yourself.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 12:30 PM CST
Even if they're different functionally, get rid of the rt for a typo. Its stupid. Period.

-Evran

Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 01:49 PM CST
I think what he meant to add in that last post (I realize it was used once in the first post) was the word Please. Since our GM's are gracious enough to do this work at the sacrifice of their own personal time at no benefit other than making the game a better place for us.

- Terra
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 01:53 PM CST
<<I think what he meant to add in that last post... was the word Please.

Nope.

But thanks for the babysitting.

-Evran

Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 02:00 PM CST
Well, I think the least we owe them is courtesy, but to each his own. You're welcome to try it your way.

Nothing is perfect, we have a great team putting in work to our guild behind the scenes. Not each thing that comes up is a 5 minute fix, and even if it is, they have orders and protocol to follow as well. So I feel the desire to say please when I'm saying something needs fixed, whether it makes a difference or not, it seems like the right thing to do.

Everyone's different, so whatever.

- Terra
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 02:13 PM CST
After rereading everything I've written in this thread, I think you're just over-reacting because of previous conversations. I'm done with this one.

-Evran

Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 02:24 PM CST
Um..I'm not sure what that means. But okay. Have a nice day.

- Terra
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 02:42 PM CST
So I just reread this thread -- am I missing something?

--
> sing hamr
That is not a recognized emote. Please type SAY by itself for syntax.

You sing in a baritone voice:

"Hamr"

(Time to Next Singing: 3 seconds.)
> sing harm
You are still performing your last song!
(Wait 2 seconds.)
--

Aside from the emote thing I don't see the bug here.

>Even if they're different functionally, get rid of the rt for a typo. Its stupid. Period.

It's not an RT. It's just a delay to stop the spamming of the sing command, but it shouldn't be preventing anything else. If it is that is a bug, but I can't replicate it.

If you want the delay between sings gone, that's unlikely to happen. If you're saying you don't want mundane singing and magical singing to conflict, that's a functional discussion that would need to take place with people over my pay grade.

Otherwise short of migrating over to another verb the sort of typo protection I think you're looking for would be very complicated and likely cause other parsing problems -- which I suspect is part of the motivation to bring enchantes under standard magical syntax.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 02:46 PM CST
Since most of our shortcuts for enchantes are 4 letters, would it be possible for SING to not parse anything under 5 letters (minimum, obviously, spaces, second words would count and go through).

I don't know how feasible something like that would be, since I don't know the set up.

When this happens to me its either A. embarrassing, because I do it in front of tons of people and/or B. only a slight annoyance.

Anyway, not a big deal to me, just a thought on how it might be made more "friendly".

__
AIM: Ysselt
As a bard, you can use SONG to list the enchantes you know.
You have learned Heart Link [hl], Nissa's Binding [nb] from scrolls and must maintain at least a high attunement to keep them.
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 02:53 PM CST
Possible? Likely (though I'm actually not certain, I'd need to do some experimenting). However the amount of work that'd need unless I'm gravely mistake takes us back to "The entire verb needs to be rewritten". It has a LOT of issues (not all of which are apparent on the player's end) and it simply isn't one of my priorities right now. Apologies.

-Raesh

Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 02:58 PM CST
<<If you're saying you don't want mundane singing and magical singing to conflict, that's a functional discussion that would need to take place with people over my pay grade.

This. Hence the title of the thread. That was my bad for using the wrong/confusing term, since I know its not a true RT just a quasi one.

Put it this way: If a regular spell caster was forced to wait 3 seconds after mistyping the name of the spell they're prepping before being able to prep it again, well lets just say that I can't even imagine how long the complaint threads in the magic folders would be. Yet this is considered status quo for bards.

<<Otherwise short of migrating over to another verb the sort of typo protection I think you're looking for would be very complicated and likely cause other parsing problems -- which I suspect is part of the motivation to bring enchantes under standard magical syntax.

I suspect this is also part of the reason people have been up in arms about bards losing their musical flavour to their magic. If we have two ways to cast spells, one musical but with issues in parsing and usage, one non-magical which functions efficiently, which of the two do you think is going to see any use?

-Evran

Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 02:59 PM CST
That's cool, it doesn't need to be a priority at all. Was just curious if that would help some of the issue.

:D

__
AIM: Ysselt
As a bard, you can use SONG to list the enchantes you know.
You have learned Heart Link [hl], Nissa's Binding [nb] from scrolls and must maintain at least a high attunement to keep them.
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 06:25 PM CST
>I suspect this is also part of the reason people have been up in arms about bards losing their musical flavour to their magic.

I suppose you could make an argument that typing a particular sequence of four letters has bearing on the immersion... but this is a game where most commands are shorthanded to a nearly meaningless sequence of letters.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 06:48 PM CST
>>I suspect this is also part of the reason people have been up in arms about bards losing their musical flavour to their magic.

I'm just a bystander, but I'm genuinely curious. Is there actually a feeling that Bards would be losing something by being able to type something like "cast harm" instead of "sing harm?" I'm assuming either way the messaging that you and everybody else in the room would see is the same. I don't see where there's a negative to the bardic music/magic paradigm. Have I missed something?

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 07:48 PM CST
>>Is there actually a feeling that Bards would be losing something by being able to type something like "cast harm" instead of "sing harm?" I'm assuming either way the messaging that you and everybody else in the room would see is the same. I don't see where there's a negative to the bardic music/magic paradigm. Have I missed something?

Not speaking for myself because I'm indifferent, but I believe people would prefer to just SING HARMONY and be done with it, rather than PREPARE HARMONY, wait for the full prepare messaging and then CAST HARMONY. That is only my guess though.

__
~Leilond
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 07:50 PM CST
CAST SING whatever, as long as spells are working I'm happy personally.
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 07:56 PM CST
> Not speaking for myself because I'm indifferent, but I believe people would prefer to just SING HARMONY and be done with it, rather than PREPARE HARMONY, wait for the full prepare messaging and then CAST HARMONY.

Well, Harmony is a bad example, since it won't be a cyclic in 3.0. Have you seen something to suggest that cyclics will need to be prepped like that? My impression was that they would work much like current enchantes. So putting "cast/sing/start/whatever CARE" will make it start, and its effects will kick in with the first pulse, no matter which verb you use.
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 07:59 PM CST
I am with BCLAY.

To tell you the truth, I'm looking forward to being able to PREPARE AEWO ahead of time and then CAST it whenever a Moon Mage comes into the room >:( I hate invisibility.

__
~Leilond
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/06/2010 08:14 PM CST
>>So putting "cast/sing/start/whatever CARE" will make it start, and its effects will kick in with the first pulse, no matter which verb you use.

I hope not. Trying to time enchantes in a real conflict has always been a nearly impossible task for me, and not something I would wish on anyone.

__
~Leilond
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/07/2010 06:39 AM CST
I won't mind casting an enchante instead of singing it - it's just syntax as far as I'm concerned.

* Malik was just struck down!
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/09/2010 03:07 PM CST
I look forward to a day when I can CAST some spells and SING some others.

One more step towards people being able to view Bards as a full and well-rounded guild, rather than just warbling drunkards.
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/09/2010 05:02 PM CST
>One more step towards people being able to view Bards as a full and well-rounded guild, rather than just warbling drunkards.

Sings "One step forward and two step back..."

Hehehe.

"Your suffering amuses me" -GM Raesh

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/10/2010 04:18 PM CST
>>Sings "One step forward and two step back..."

Great, Paula Abdul in my head. Thanks a lot, oh-loud-one.

-V.

;)

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: You are still performing your last song! 12/10/2010 04:36 PM CST
>Thanks a lot, oh-loud-one.

So very happy to oblige.

Next up, develop a DR version of the rickroll.

"Your suffering amuses me" -GM Raesh

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares