Re: Humming and playing an instrument 07/18/2010 09:13 AM CDT
Probably b/c hum is essentially an "instrumental" skill, and therefore, the same checks go in as if you were, say, playing a one-handed percussion and a one-handed wind. No double playing for regular "play" which, though humming isn't play, it's doing the same thing - directly working an instrumental skill.

Enchantes have always allowed mundane play (and thus I'm not surprised to see hum also) at the same time.

Make sense, kinda?

(logically, I'd say you probably shouldn't be able to do any of it together, but as I said above, enchantes have always allowed that, from what I remember.)

-V.

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Humming and playing an instrument 07/18/2010 09:16 AM CDT
>>(logically, I'd say you probably shouldn't be able to do any of it together, but as I said above, enchantes have always allowed that, from what I remember.)

I haven't played the piano in years but I used to hum or sing along with myself when I did. I don't think it's a stretch in the least to hum the same song that you're playing. A different song on the other hand would probably require a lot more concentration/discipline.
Re: Humming and playing an instrument 07/18/2010 02:18 PM CDT
>I haven't played the piano in years but I used to hum or sing along with myself when I did. I don't think it's a stretch in the least to hum the same song that you're playing. A different song on the other hand would probably require a lot more concentration/discipline.

I think the original post was commenting on the idea that we can 'sing lilt', then proceed to 'hum wedding off' or something ostensibly completely irrelevent to the vocal enchante being performed.

I always assumed pretty much what Vael's answer was (mostly playability) even though it's rather odd when you look at it.

To put it in your piano example, it'd be like playing lilt and a wedding march at the same time.
Re: Humming and playing an instrument 07/18/2010 03:57 PM CDT
>>I think the original post was commenting on the idea that we can 'sing lilt', then proceed to 'hum wedding off' or something ostensibly completely irrelevent to the vocal enchante being performed.

My response was for Vael's comment about logically not being able to do either. I was giving a reason as to why it would be logical to allow both.
Re: Humming and playing an instrument 07/18/2010 08:16 PM CDT
>My response was for Vael's comment about logically not being able to do either. I was giving a reason as to why it would be logical to allow both.

Your piano example was piano and humming. Not dual vocals. I had hoped to be subtle enough in my first post to point this out, but there is a very obvious thing.
Re: Humming and playing an instrument 07/19/2010 05:58 AM CDT
Dual vocals: http://current.com/entertainment/music/88826973_rollin-rachele-overtone-singing-music-video.htm

;)

Vashir: one day I will devise a weapon fueled by the tears of warrior mages
Vashir: it'll be unstoppable

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcszxzpn_22g3mtzcv

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Out_of_Character
Re: Humming and playing an instrument 07/19/2010 02:03 PM CDT
I think it's pretty silly that you can't hum and play an instrument. It was one of the first things I noticed when I rolled up my bard. However, you can hum, sing an enchante, and sing a regular song all at the same time.

Logic ftl.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Humming and playing an instrument 07/23/2010 09:12 AM CDT
Yes, it IS silly that you can sing lilt, hum nocturne (or something like that), AND go ahead and sing a song of your own composition.

But AFAIR (remember), yes, you have always been able to do enchante +instrumental skill (humming works this skill) + sing something of your own.

But no, hum nocturne + play lullaby isn't going to work, because they're both "instrumental skill".

Yes, I DO agree that you should be able to hum along with yourself, but it's assuming different songs, not humming along with whatever you're playing.

-V.

-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Humming and playing an instrument 07/23/2010 10:15 AM CDT
>Yes, I DO agree that you should be able to hum along with yourself, but it's assuming different songs, not humming along with whatever you're playing.

Conceptually, this would let bards play instruments and hum the enchante they're playing on the instrument at the same time?

Seems reasonable, and perhaps a bit more realistic than the current set up.
Re: Humming and playing an instrument 07/25/2010 12:42 PM CDT
I feel either I'm very stupid or people just take posts and go and look for a deeper meaning in them... All I'm saying is playing an instrument and humming is in fact logical though you would need to have the skill to play two different songs.... Now Humming something and then! chanting something at the same time is in fact not logical and this is a fantasy thing but still GM's its a bug fix it thats the jist of this it has nothing to do with pianos or what you did last summer its just that humming and chanting/singing is not logical and humming and playing is logical. Theres no deeper meaning to it
Re: Humming and playing an instrument 07/25/2010 01:18 PM CDT
The gist of what's being said is this:

Mechanically what's going on makes sense and it's non trivial to fix. HUM is based on the PLAY mechanics and you can only PLAY one thing at a time.

Logic doesn't enter into that statement. Now - should it change? Quite possibly. Will it change any time soon? Unlikely.

-Raesh
Re: Humming and playing an instrument 08/02/2010 04:10 PM CDT
Thanks Raesh. You're way more succinct than I am.

Especially when I'm decaffeinated. ::twitch::

-V.

-Edna St. Vincent-Millay