Drums of the snake? 03/29/2010 08:19 PM CDT
Ok, I tried reading through years of back-posts but haven't found anything. Can someone enlighten me why one of the most useful Enchantes we have (drums) has two pre-requisites?? Won't this discourage newer Bards from opening their own boxes?

I'm a bit miffed that at circle 37 I still cannot get this enchante because I need Misdirection AND Merelew's? <sigh>

Now I see it is the same with Resolve! I need Misdirection for that as well. <grumble>
Re: Drums of the snake? 03/29/2010 08:49 PM CDT
>>Ok, I tried reading through years of back-posts but haven't found anything. Can someone enlighten me why one of the most useful Enchantes we have (drums) has two pre-requisites?? Won't this discourage newer Bards from opening their own boxes?

Sorry to disappoint you, boxes are a dead horse. i.e. Stop training the skill, your survival tertiary you can find better survivals to train for your requisites.

Sorry about the Sarcasm, but as some recent discussion on looting was talked about. Boxes in general SUCK. A lot of time to get very little rewards, and all this additional risk.

Personally I'd love more Locksmith Union box popping drives (only heard of them, haven't seen one yet).

Re: Drums of the snake? 03/29/2010 09:24 PM CDT
It is a shame that drums isn't more accessible. You can get it at 15th circle, I believe. Personally, I'd choose it as my first enchant if I could.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Drums of the snake? 03/30/2010 04:04 AM CDT
Hmm..interesting about boxes...they seemed to double my income last night hunting, so they cannot be totally worthless :P

The problem is that the boxes at my normal hunting level are too hard since my disarm and pick skills are lagging about 20 levels behind. :P So I have a pack full of boxes that I can disarm, but not pick. With Kat playing Drums last night I got a few of them open...

I guess I am still adjusting to the realms, my perspective is still really strange! 7 years is a long time.
Re: Drums of the snake? 03/30/2010 08:24 AM CDT
<<Hmm..interesting about boxes...they seemed to double my income last night hunting, so they cannot be totally worthless :P

Ignore the nausayers. Boxes aren't as bad as people make them out to be. If you like them do them. If you don't, then don't. They're not the most efficient in terms of money making, but Bards have the tools to make them less of a pain compared to most other guilds. I also use them as my main method of learning percussions, since its killing several stones at once rather than just playing a song over and over.

<<The problem is that the boxes at my normal hunting level are too hard since my disarm and pick skills are lagging about 20 levels behind. :P So I have a pack full of boxes that I can disarm, but not pick. With Kat playing Drums last night I got a few of them open...

My box skills are currently about 80 ranks lower than my combat skills and I have no problems opening them relatively speedily with a capped Drums. Since most combats are tert anyways, its easy to maintain it at comparable learning rates to combat with a little effort. One trick I've found is to not let myself get bogged down in boxes as that just gets overwhelming and frustrating. I never carry more than one duffel bag worth after a hunting trip, and as a survival tert using Drums to pick a bit over my head, that'll usually let me lock box skills twice before heading out to get some more hunting done.

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Drums of the snake? 03/30/2010 08:35 AM CDT
Personally, I simply cant understand why everyone is making such a fuss about boxes. I collect plenty, and while I cant pop the boxes I hunt while training my primary weapons, I pick up when I backtrain. Boxes, by and large, do have better gems and more coin as well. Keyrings/drums is simply a bonus... dont get to discouraged by reqs, do what you can for the time being, and then continue to train them later when your backtraining and can use Drums.

That being said, I agree with the statement that there are better survivals to train for your circling reqs. Hiding/Mech Lore/Swimming/Climbing etc. plenty of options.

Regards,
Vteec
Re: Drums of the snake? 03/30/2010 08:45 AM CDT
<<That being said, I agree with the statement that there are better survivals to train for your circling reqs. Hiding/Mech Lore/Swimming/Climbing etc. plenty of options.

Heh, Mech Lore is a, well... Lore. ;)

-Evran

Re: Drums of the snake? 03/30/2010 09:45 AM CDT
So you think! I mean, did I say mech lore, I meant perception, stop doing whatever you are now and go train perception!

Regards,
Vteec
Re: Drums of the snake? 03/30/2010 01:02 PM CDT
Heh, training those skills has never been a problem for me...circling is basically raising my primary weapon and overall lore - the rest are much higher than they need to be.

Thanks for the backtraining tip, I think I'll work on some of my other weapons training and pop those lower boxes to catch up! :)
Re: Drums of the snake? 03/30/2010 01:50 PM CDT
>Personally, I simply cant understand why everyone is making such a fuss about boxes.

You can't understand, or you don't agree? Because if you don't understand, we can go over the points again.

Also, your perspective might be different without an enchante that boosted your speed and ability disarming boxes.

>describe boar
Re: Drums of the snake? 03/30/2010 01:59 PM CDT
<<You can't understand, or you don't agree? Because if you don't understand, we can go over the points again.
<<Also, your perspective might be different without an enchante that boosted your speed and ability disarming boxes.

Agreed. The benefit to Drums isn't being able to pick harder boxes. Its being able to pick them faster. It makes the time spent outside combat not learning combat skills far shorter. Without the speed boost, there's little incentive to train boxes.

-Evran

Re: Drums of the snake? 03/30/2010 02:08 PM CDT
I mean, don't get me wrong, I love boxes conceptually. But several mechanics changes, lack of high levels drops, and changing player behaviors have sidelined box skills for 90% of DR. Even many thieves don't train box skills.

It's because I love boxes conceptually that I continue to talk about making changes that will make them relevant again.

I wouldn't discourage others from training them though. I still train them from time to time. But when most people talk about backtraining them rather than training them at level, I think this is indicative of some real issues.

>describe boar
Re: Drums of the snake? 03/30/2010 02:16 PM CDT
>>Even many thieves don't train box skills.

I don't. Escaping actually just took over as my 7th survival (where Disarm was) and in two ranks it'll move up to 6th (where Lockpicking is). While Escaping is a pain to train, I can train it in combat which is appealing to me.

When I did train boxes, 20 would take me an hour to get open. I'd really rather be hunting.

I'll probably replace Lock and Disarm with Climbing and Swimming as soon as it's necessary if it doesn't happen on its own. I do not actively train boxes, or plan to. I now use loot treasure if I am somewhere they might drop.

Vashir: one day I will devise a weapon fueled by the tears of warrior mages
Vashir: it'll be unstoppable