Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/03/2009 11:58 AM CST
I'll try to do some more testing, and see if I can find anything out.

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/03/2009 12:02 PM CST
I still don't really consider any enchante that requires an instrument to be suitable for use in a hunting situation. I've used Sanctuary a handful of times recently for the locate dodging factor, and I haven't even picked up DALU because I know I won't use it. I hate the idea of relying on something that depends on sunny weather or limiting myself to indoor hunting.

-=Issus=-
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/03/2009 12:10 PM CST
Thanks for being willing to test

"I still don't really consider any enchante that requires an instrument to be suitable for use in a hunting situation. I've used Sanctuary a handful of times recently for the locate dodging factor, and I haven't even picked up DALU because I know I won't use it. I hate the idea of relying on something that depends on sunny weather or limiting myself to indoor hunting."

For hunting I agree with you, but then again when I'm using balm I'm trying to avoid combat so I dont see the issue. Dalu I agree completey, I have no use for it while hunting. I have found it rather fun to sing in populated rooms just to annoy people and also am trying to figure out if I can use it to kill Barbarians that I normaly wouldnt be able to touch. So far both times i've tried it I've failed completely but there were other things going on that could contribute to it.

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/03/2009 12:18 PM CST
The situations I use Balm in normally occur when I need to let my combats drain for a minute or two without packing up and heading out of the area. Using the balm lets me juggle, fold origami, study my compendium, etc., while sanctuary and DALU would only fill this need in good weather, and would narrow the field of what I could train while I drain combats.

I'd love if you could post your eventual DALU vs. Barbarian results, btw. Might actually pick up DALU if it was significantly powerful in that aspect.

-=Issus=-
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/03/2009 12:40 PM CST
I think that Sanctuary stops creatures from spawning in the room, but not from wandering in. Or is it the other way around? Either way, I've never found it particularly effective enough to use over AEWO or BALM to keep myself safe in a hunting scenario. It's great for blocking clairvoyance though.

~ Terra
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 10:38 AM CST
>>and also am trying to figure out if I can use it to kill Barbarians that I normaly wouldnt be able to touch.

Dalu's stacking effects are very potent from what I've seen, even against challenging opponents, provided you can survive long enough and keep playing at the time, which is where the problem lies. I think it needs something extra to make it a good PvP tool. Maybe one of the screams will complement it to that point.
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 12:37 PM CST
"Dalu's stacking effects are very potent from what I've seen, even against challenging opponents, provided you can survive long enough and keep playing at the time, which is where the problem lies. I think it needs something extra to make it a good PvP tool. Maybe one of the screams will complement it to that point. "

Yeah I know its wicked, the problem is Barbs get to melee so damn quickly and then if their dancing flame i'm a dead little Bard.

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 12:39 PM CST
Small note: Flame is a berserk, not a dance.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 12:42 PM CST
"Small note: Flame is a berserk, not a dance."

Bah Sorry but it doesnt change the fact that it's a kick butt melle booster

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 12:44 PM CST
>>Yeah I know its wicked, the problem is Barbs get to melee so damn quickly and then if their berserking flame i'm a dead little Bard.<<

You must meat some crazy barbarians Kleis, because frankly..you're kind of scarey, so I hate to see the barbs mowing you down.

~ Terra
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 12:49 PM CST
Flame does not provide an engagement bonus so a Barbarian will advance at the same speed as everyone else when berserking Flame.

Yes, the bonus is high but its duration is typically very, very short (20-25 seconds) and we tend to collapse or drop to our knees after it falls. Simply retreating will keep you safe from a berserking Barbarian unless you've been stunned.
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 12:54 PM CST
Pwning Berserking Barbarians 101, brought to you by Galren.
Thanks!

Not that I will likely ever put this bit of news to use though.

~ Terra
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 03:02 PM CST
"Flame does not provide an engagement bonus so a Barbarian will advance at the same speed as everyone else when berserking Flame."

I wasnt trying to imply that flame did give an engagement boost. It was more about that fact that DALU takes a while to kick, longer than it takes to get to melee. I've had this problem I have with other echantes as well.

"Yes, the bonus is high but its duration is typically very, very short (20-25 seconds) and we tend to collapse or drop to our knees after it falls. Simply retreating will keep you safe from a berserking Barbarian unless you've been stunned. "

20-25 is long enough especiely if they are able to use the roar that stops me from moving. I dont have exact specifics on everything they did because most of the fights I'm talking about were not friendly spars but opponents trying to kill one another.

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 03:47 PM CST
As a Bard I've found MB runes invaluable for whenever you need that "You've gotta go... NOW" situation. Perfect for stalling while enchantes boot up, at least until we have access to screams.

__
~Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leicollagefinal.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/bard_planner_v3.xls
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 03:58 PM CST
"As a Bard I've found MB runes invaluable for whenever you need that "You've gotta go... NOW" situation. Perfect for stalling while enchantes boot up, at least until we have access to screams."

Funny story, I tried that once against Krugler. Grabbed the wrong rune and quickly died.

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 04:01 PM CST
I forgot to mention that I agree with you Lielond. If you're able to do it without screwing somthing up its a heck of a good plan.

I'd also like to see a naptha/lb wand combo in action. I dont train md or tm(not sure wich affects accuracy) enough to even try it. But if you're ever bored and try it let me know how it works.

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 06:05 PM CST
> I understand your point, but my point is that BoT is the ONLY spell that functions that way.

That would be because BoT is the only spell that works the way it does. BoT is specifically designed to protect a room. It's strictly an all or nothing spell. It can't just calm some critters and not others -- due to mechanics it uses, it doesn't have that option. It basically flips an attack/noattack switch in the room itself, rather than on individual creatures, which is why it is instant.

All the rest are designed to target and calm individual critters. I'm not saying that some of the spells could use upgrading, but there's really no way to compare BoT to Balm and other spells like it. There's simply no way with our current mechanics to allow BoT to only calm some critters and not other, unless we just turn it into Balm or similar spells that pulse.

Moving on to Sanctuary....

Sanctuary has the potential to operate much like BoT in that it can set a room to no longer allow new critters to spawn or enter the room. However, it is a tiered enchante much like Eye of Kertigen. Just how much it will do depends on how much mana you can put into it. You won't be keeping things out at low mana song levels.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 06:50 PM CST
"Moving on to Sanctuary....

Sanctuary has the potential to operate much like BoT in that it can set a room to no longer allow new critters to spawn or enter the room. However, it is a tiered enchante much like Eye of Kertigen. Just how much it will do depends on how much mana you can put into it. You won't be keeping things out at low mana song levels.

- GM Dartenian"

Thanks a lot for the info on Sanctuary. I'm going to have to test it out at some point

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 06:55 PM CST
If I remember correctly, 27 is the magic number for Sanctuary.

__
~Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leicollagefinal.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/bard_planner_v3.xls
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 07:19 PM CST
>If I remember correctly, 27 is the magic number for Sanctuary.

I haven't had time to test this, and I'm leaving for Vegas early in the morning. If someone could double check this and note it on the Sanctuary Elanthipedia entry, that would be fab - since I'll forget by the time I get back.

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 07:43 PM CST
>>If I remember correctly, 27 is the magic number for Sanctuary.<<

You beat me to it, but I'm pretty sure the magic number is 25. Close enough though. It's the message that reads this:

As each feathery note falls from your cane flute, you weave it into a tapestry of subtle harmonics that support a line of melody in a minor key, forming the complex measures of the "Sanctuary" enchante.
A brief chill races across your skin, causing it to tingle slightly. Your perception of the distant world fades drastically, sounds vanishing entirely even as the light takes on a faintly unreal quality. A sense of isolation descends upon you, as if you are no longer wholly a part of the world in which you normally dwell.

Also, I tried upping the mana to 27 and 70 (at or above cap) with no differing messaging. I doubt it's a hidden feature, since you get different degrees of messaging based on your mana output for Sanctuary.

~ Terra
Re: Sanctuary (changed from balm) 03/04/2009 07:47 PM CST
Sorry to double post but..

>>If someone could double check this and note it on the Sanctuary Elanthipedia entry, that would be fab<<

I just did this.

~ Terra