Balm 03/03/2009 08:25 AM CST
I'd like to request that creatures that give the "resist the lure of your enchante due to their overly aggressive natures." message either be changed to have a resistance, but not immunity, to the balm, or that Banner of Truce no longer be able to calm them either. I don't see why a pulsing enchante that relies on the upkeep by a bard should have more restrictions on it than a long duration area spell that can be cast and forgotten about.

-=Issus=-
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 08:53 AM CST
>>I don't see why a pulsing enchante that relies on the upkeep by a bard should have more restrictions on it than a long duration area spell that can be cast and forgotten about.

Not to mention that Banner of Truce instantly calms everything when they first enter the room. Balm has to pulse before something is truly calmed, and I've had things advance and attack me before they become under the influence of my song. I would love for this to change.

Though in Banner of Truce's defense it is a third tier spell whereas Albreda's Balm is only a second tier spell.

__
~Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leicollagefinal.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/bard_planner_v3.xls
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 08:58 AM CST
Seconded.

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 09:34 AM CST
Thirded. Although I imagine it's more likely we will see Banner of Truce get nerfed (as it is the only calming spell that does what it does) before we see Balm get uptweaked. Either way!

~ Terra
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 09:59 AM CST
>>Although I imagine it's more likely we will see Banner of Truce get nerfed (as it is the only calming spell that does what it does) before we see Balm get uptweaked. Either way!

You're hoping for a nerf to another guild's spell (higher tier and stationary) rather than an upgrade to your own (lower tier and mobile)? QQ more.

~Thilan
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 10:15 AM CST
I don't want to see BoT nerfed, and I don't think it would be. It's one of the most crucial staples of invasion triage and making it less effective would mess up a lot of things.

While BoT is a higher tier, it's also a lot more effective for a lot of other reasons aside from strength of calming. BoT can be cast in multiple rooms, and only has to overcome the BMR in a room upon casting (I believe it has to overcome room BMR, at least. Comments in triage have lead me to believe that). The paladin can then go along doing whatever they want, while making the room impervious to attack.

I see no reason why a 2nd tier version of this that forces the bard to forgo other enchantes, overcome BMR on every single pulse, and constantly feed mana into it shouldn't have the same calming degree to it. It's already got plenty of inconveniences.

-=Issus=-
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 10:52 AM CST
>>You're hoping for a nerf to another guild's spell (higher tier and stationary) rather than an upgrade to your own (lower tier and mobile)? QQ more.<<

I'm not sure how you gathered that based on my assumption of what I think would likely happen, rather than what I would WANT to happen, but you are free to have your opinion. Personally, I think BALM is fine the way it is, and have run in to VERY few circumstances where I find it ineffective.

A lot of times, if Balm doesn't work, something else will. Play around and find out.

~ Terra
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 10:56 AM CST
I could spam resolve, sure, but that's not the point. Balm is there to calm things. If BoT can calm everything, Balm should be able to. If I want to calm something for whatever reason, I'd like the enchante designed to do just that to work instead of having to find an alternate way to do something roughly like what I intended.

-=Issus=-
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 11:05 AM CST
I understand your point, but my point is that BoT is the ONLY spell that functions that way.
Innocence, Calm (Hypnotize) and Forestwalkers Boon all work in the same manner to Balm more or less. They all attempt to calm a creature in one way or another and if it is overly aggressive, either the spell fails or the creature becomes more enraged (This often happens with Innocence).

Forestwalkers Boon - Many a Ranger has ventured beyond the bounds of civilization only to find themselves facing wild beasts defending their territory or hunting for food. The Forestwalker's Boon spell masks a Ranger's natural scent with a pheromone that attempts to *calm all but the most aggressive or cunning wild animals.*

Innocence - The Innocence spell demonstrates that you are not a threat, causing opponents to turn away from advancing upon you and face another. *Undead creatures, on the other hand, may be enraged by the spell and attack with redoubled ferocity.*

Albreda's Balm - This enchante blankets the area with soothing calm. Should you weave your enchante with enough charm and skill, it will pacify those listening as long as they remain within range of your song. *Unfortunately, it can have no effect upon those creatures or people who are in a mindless fury.* Albreda's Balm is one often requested by Empaths, for it allows them free passage through places where they would otherwise be set upon by wild beasts.

Banner of Truce - The Banner of Truce spell forestalls violence in the area for a few minutes, but is more difficult to cast if there is active combat going on at the time.

And the spell description for Hypnotize does not include anything about overly aggressive creatures, and since I haven't tested on that one, I won't comment on it. But Albreda's Balm does exactly what it's supposed to do. And it's extremely hard to resist.

That being said, I'm all for an uptweak in being able to calm everything despite the spell description, but not at the cost of taking anything away from the current incarnation of the spell.

~ Terra
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 11:10 AM CST
It's not extremely hard to resist if the critter has the "ANGRY!" switch toggled on. I don't like that it's absolutely impossible for some things to be calmed.

As for the ranger and empath abilities, they can push for those to be more effective if they want. I'm more concerned with making enchantes less impotent. :)

-=Issus=-
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 11:19 AM CST
If the critter has the RAGE switch on, I think Banner is one of the only spells that should be able to calm them along with Meraud's Commune. They basically create safe areas. I hate to say it but I think a roaming safe area would be a tad OP. As it is, I've been able to calm PC's up to 50 circles above me with mentals to match and I have still calmed them. I haven't run into a creature that's not 'overly aggressive' that I couldn't calm at barely above minimum prep.

Sure, let's be able to calm those bigger things, as long as it doesn't take away from the potency of this 2nd tier spellsong.

Actually, to ease both of our cases..how about the calming of aggressive creatures be a high end perk of the enchante? Sanctuary has different degrees of effectiveness, how about adding this feature to Albreda's Balm with the highest tier effectiveness be the calming of critter roid-rage?

~ Terra
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 11:27 AM CST
I don't consider the mobility of balm OP even if the rage switch was done away with. A paladin could cast BoT in room after room if they wanted to.

And yeah, all I'm saying is that the rage switch needs to go and that the aggressive creatures should be able to be calmed with enough mana and skill.

-=Issus=-
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 11:40 AM CST
I'm pretty sure if the room is already empty of critters Sanctuary is sapposed to stop them from coming in. Even the angry ones. That might be your better option at times. I've always felt balm has its limits because it has the HUGE advantage of being mobile.

Another enchante I've used, mainly while getting my gear from graves, is Aewo. It's pretty easy to startle everything out of the room and I've never been killed while using it

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 11:49 AM CST
>Sanctuary is sapposed to stop them from coming in.

As an aside, I tested this recently, because that's what I thought too. It didn't work.

Is it only certain types of creatures?

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Balm 03/03/2009 11:51 AM CST
">Sanctuary is sapposed to stop them from coming in.

As an aside, I tested this recently, because that's what I thought too. It didn't work.

Is it only certain types of creatures?"

To be honest I dont know. I remember reading it on these boards once and just believed it, never really tested.

Thanks for clearing that up though I hate to give bad info.

Thanks,
Kleis