Drums of the Snake... 04/21/2019 05:52 AM CDT
Just so you guys don't think this has been forgotten, the Drums of the Snake bug is proving to be gnarlier than I anticipated.

Relatedly, let me ask: In terms of group pulsing, which of the non-cylic Bard spells are you most happy with? Because they all appear to work differently, with different potential problems, and could use some standardization.

GM Grejuva
Re: Drums of the Snake... 04/21/2019 03:22 PM CDT
<<Relatedly, let me ask: In terms of group pulsing, which of the non-cylic Bard spells are you most happy with? Because they all appear to work differently, with different potential problems, and could use some standardization.

Rage of the Clans works best as our non-cyclic pulsing spell for me. Its messages on both us and others and ends when it says it ends. I also love that it messages when it affects someone new. Walking into a room full of players with rage up makes me feel like a boss.

Redeemers pride works very similar from my point of view but doesn't let me know when someone new is affected that wasn't there for the cast. It just kind of is out there without letting me know if its working. I can see this being becuase it refreshes strength on pulse so if something reduced the strength like someone in the room with a ward up that could lead to a lot of messaging. I'd prefer if it at least showed players being affected for the first time they're affected and then show the refreshed effect on me which is enough to let me know it refreshed on others.

I don't have any experience with naming of tears yet so I can't comment on that one.

As for the last one, drums... I hate how it works currently. People or even me can't leave the room or group or the effect is lost permanently on others without recasting it. As an aside, if it comes down to it i'm fine with drum becoming just an aoe buff that persists like a nonpulsing spell but i'd much rather have the pulsing since it used to be cyclic and has that history. My vote would be to have it work exactly like rage, since it's just a simple buff instead of a ward with refreshing strength.

Are you looking at pulse to group cyclics at all? I have opinions there too... My main beefs are with faenella's grace not showing up in the spell window for others and caress of the sun having the wrong lingering messages sent to others although the messaging is correct for the casting bard. It tells them the effect is starting to linger when its actually ending and doesn't tell them anything when its really started to linger.
Re: Drums of the Snake... 04/22/2019 02:31 AM CDT
Thank you, that's very helpful!

>>Are you looking at pulse to group cyclics at all? I have opinions there too... My main beefs are with faenella's grace not showing up in the spell window for others and caress of the sun having the wrong lingering messages sent to others although the messaging is correct for the casting bard. It tells them the effect is starting to linger when its actually ending and doesn't tell them anything when its really started to linger.

Noted.

GM Grejuva
Re: Drums of the Snake... 04/22/2019 03:49 AM CDT
I'm afraid I don't have Name or Repr to test with*, but I'm quite happy with the way Rage works.

As long as we're discussing spell targeting, let me mention that if you do "cast group" with Misdirection, it will hit your group mates with the debuff half of the spell. Which is amusing, but probably not the intended behavior. Since the buff half is caster only, I'm not sure what the intended behavior is, though. Maybe cast group shouldn't be an option?

* I'd test in Test, but it seems it's down.
Re: Drums of the Snake... 04/24/2019 10:06 PM CDT
I was hoping to chime in after doing some testing, but as I haven't had time lately, let me just come in now to say that I HATE Rage's room-spamming messaging. Other than that, I don't know enough to say. Factors I care about:

- Not spamming the room every time a new person is affected.
- The recipients getting clear messaging, both when it affects them, and in their PERC, and exp mods.
- Properly pulsing to the group and doing so often enough.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Drums of the Snake... 04/25/2019 01:43 AM CDT
>>I was hoping to chime in after doing some testing, but as I haven't had time lately, let me just come in now to say that I HATE Rage's room-spamming messaging.

Good to know! The one that caught my eye as being especially spammy (for the other people) was Naming of Tears. We'll address Rage as well.

GM Grejuva
Re: Drums of the Snake... 04/25/2019 03:27 AM CDT
<<- Not spamming the room every time a new person is affected.

Since this comes across as if the room is being spammed with messages... the room doesn't get all the messaging that the bard sees with rage. Others only see the message for themselves when they first get it and when they lose it. The big wall of text when affecting lots of people at once is something only the casting bard sees when casting the spell in a room full of people, walking into a room of lots of people with the spell up, or a big group walks into your room. And all cases requires cast area to be in effect instead of just the default cast. I could see it being condensed into a single line like with Hodiernas lilt but it would make me really sad to see the wall of text go away. That's my favorite part of that spell. Maybe a toggle to let us choose between full messaging and condensed messaging would give everyone the best of both worlds?
Re: Drums of the Snake... 08/26/2019 07:15 PM CDT
Just a follow up about the one pulse to group spell I didn't know, since I have now learned Naming of Tears and have been using it for a while.

Things I like:
It messages the affected players when it takes effect and when it drops. The only thing I might suggest is to add the casting Bard's name to the messaging, since it's a bit out of the blue otherwise.
Pulse to group/area works correctly.
The perceive messaging on others lets you know if you leave the group/area that the effect will drop and who you need to stay close to.

Things that could be improved:
I don't get any indication at all that people are affected by it whether when cast or when people enter the group/area.
There seems to be a bug with the messaging when perceiving it as the casting Bard. Even with a minimum mana cast, it always shows up as a supreme manifestation.
The perceive messaging on others affected by it doesn't indicate the strength.