Peeking through windows 12/01/2014 02:06 PM CST
Hey there bardly types!

I'm back after a 4 year stint in hiding...who wants to catch me up on all the happenings? :)

--Cailei
Re: Peeking through windows 12/01/2014 07:04 PM CST
>I'm back after a 4 year stint in hiding...who wants to catch me up on all the happenings? :)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That being said: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/DragonRealms_3.0

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Peeking through windows 12/01/2014 07:15 PM CST
The last 4 years have seen more change in DR than the previous 14. Elanthipedia is a great resource for catching up and anything else DR related. The Bard guild has also seen some of the most changes of all the guilds. While reading over Caraamon's link, and anything else you come across on E-pedia, keep in mind things are still in the works and there is much more to come.

Welcome back, and hope you stick around.
Re: Peeking through windows 12/02/2014 10:35 AM CST
I figured that would be the appropriate response. I'm most confused over the Mech Lore changes...
Re: Peeking through windows 12/02/2014 01:39 PM CST
>I'm most confused over the Mech Lore changes...

Skills/Disciplines:
Mech lore has been split into several crafting skills. Forging, Outfitting, Engineering, Enchanting, Alchemy. Each of these skills cover 3 disciplines, for example, Forging covers Weaponsmithing, Armorsmithing, and Blacksmithing. Though each of these three is mostly separate, they all train and use the same skill.

Currently not all disciplines are out, and no form of enchanting is out. Yet.

Feats:
Feats do a variety of things ranging from just giving you a skill bonus, reducing the time to make items, or other things. They're picked much like spells, having certain number and some may require having others to pick.

Depending on your skill, you're allocated a certain number of feats to spread between the three disciplines. You also receive 3 discipline-specific feats based on your guild. Random made up numbers: At 100 ranks of Engineering, you have 10 feats to spend on anything in Carving, Shaping, and Tinkering. Because your part of the Lumberjack Guild, you get 3 more in Carving.

The practical upshot of the skill based ones is that you can either specialize in one discipline, or have a few techs in all of them.

Hobby/Career:
In addition, you can pick a certain number of Hobbies or Careers (WARNING: THESE CHOICES ARE PERMANENT. NO GOING BACK. PERIOD. EVER. EXCLAMATION MARK.). As a Bard, you receive 2 Careers and 1 Hobby. Both of them have two major functions: They give an additional feat slots and they act as a decent skill bonus, with careers giving more and bonusing more.

Careers give 12 feat slots, Hobbies 6.

So the next question would be which craft to do. Well, if you want to be ultra-practical, many instruments will likely be under Tinkering in the Engineering craft (note: currently Tinkering does not exist and Engineering is limited to Carving.) If you want my opinion, do whatever you enjoy.

Again, please note that careers and hobbies are permanent choices. They are NOT, I repeat, NOT required to do the basic work in a craft, which is plenty to find out if you like it.

So... yeah.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Peeking through windows 12/02/2014 03:05 PM CST
>>Again, please note that careers and hobbies are permanent choices. They are NOT, I repeat, NOT required to do the basic work in a craft, which is plenty to find out if you like it.

I just want to re-clarify this point since it seems the biggest misunderstanding with the new crafting system. CAREERS/HOBBIES ARE NOT REQUIRED TO CRAFT. They are there for people who have decided the discipline they want to specialize in so they can have more techs/feats (whatever you want to call them).

I suggest you wait until all skills and disciplines are out before you choose one of these, unless you just know in your heart what you want to spend most of your time crafting if you enjoy it. Even then I suggest to wait. Things change, and these choices can not change.
Re: Peeking through windows 12/02/2014 03:21 PM CST

HI CAILEI!!!

As others have mentioned, a lot of things have changed, but Elanthipedia is a great resource to read through. I will have to track you down in game later on!

Shenney
Re: Peeking through windows 12/03/2014 11:55 AM CST
SHENNEY!!!

So great to see a familiar name!! I feel so behind, mostly I'm just piddling around figuring out the motions again. I'm surprised I remembered how to get around some of these places!
Re: Peeking through windows 12/03/2014 04:38 PM CST
But the one you think you never forget how to go to is the Crossing BARD'S guild!

<loves that small building>

Shenney
Re: Peeking through windows 12/04/2014 04:48 PM CST
Very true....and the first place I had to go to because I had to get all my enchantes back! And surprise surprise I still need LT!
Re: Peeking through windows 12/21/2014 04:36 PM CST
Also to add to the list of clarifying about mechanical lore/crafting/converting:

Converting Mech Lore confused me to no end. :)

1. Don't convert anything until you're really sure you understand it, and actually WANT to go further with that specific craft. I finally converted mine when my engineering was in the 700s. And I still had a premonition of a disaster since there are yet unreleased crafts. But I did it anyway.

2. You can convert your mech lore into a specific craft only once. (say, engineering) So, I can never add extra ranks via conversion to engineering. I could convert any new mech lore into another craft besides Engineering still. (and you can convert all or part of your mech into whatever skill. You just can do it once.)

3. Talk seriously to someone who has many hundreds of ranks in whatever craft you want to convert into before doing anything.

4. And as already noted, you can do work orders, learn the craft, get your maker's mark, and anything else you want to do without ever declaring a hobby or career. That same 700some rank mark was all done before I chose one.

5. Even after you convert your mech lore into a craft, you can still go do more mech lore from scratch again, then convert it all over again at some point in the future into any of the remaining crafts you did not choose for that first conversion.

Welcome home!

P.S. Actually, mech lore was only the beginning of the things that confused me to no end. I've been back 2 years in a week or so, and I'm still confused by lots. And keep my head down because of it.

- - -
~Dreamheart Delaevan Forestwolf
Singing since before the Guild was restored.