Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Bards In Fiction 08/01/2010 08:40 AM CDT
>I don't know how, but I want the masked man in The Princess Bride to be a Bard. Make it so.

LOL. Oh yeah!

~Faih

Three things that make a bard:
Playing of the lute
Knowledge of ancient lore
Poetic power.
- adapted from the Triads
Re: Bards In Fiction 08/01/2010 01:53 PM CDT
>>I'm curious how you consider him a bard. It's been awhile since I saw the movie, but I remember that character as being more 'intelligent' than 'bardic'.

He was an ashik -- or some similar tradition -- so yeah, he's actually a pretty good example of a Bard. Intelligence is his primary heroic characteristic, but he was also a poet and orator, as well as a linguist and writer. All of which were pretty unusual in his world.
Re: Bards In Fiction 08/04/2010 08:08 AM CDT
Oh yeah, El Mariachi was definitely a bard. pew pew

//Edwardu Underlove(d), Halfling Bard//
Re: Bards In Fiction 08/08/2010 01:16 AM CDT
You know, if this is the case, then Don Quixote of Man of La Mancha is a Bard too.
Re: Bards In Fiction 08/09/2010 12:32 PM CDT
Heck, if Shakespeare is to be believed ("All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players..."), then everyone's a bard, fiction and non-fiction.

The bardic takeover is complete. We win!

(hee!)

-V.

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/09/2010 05:59 PM CDT
When I started this thread I listed Hoid from Warbreaker (By Brandon Sanderson) as a good example of a Taleweaver, but he's only in that a little bit.

If you want an even better taste of Hoid and is very clearly Bardic/Taleweaver ways see The Way of Kings.

-Raesh
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/09/2010 06:00 PM CDT
Less reading. More coding!

Gosh, I have no idea why you think that the person you told "I'm going to kill you over and over for that when I get back up" continues to make your life miserable. - DR-Wiking
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/09/2010 06:13 PM CDT
Do you have any idea how hard I had to resist the urge to rip into the book on the 1st when it showed up on my doorstep?

-Raesh
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/09/2010 06:20 PM CDT
Have you read the WoT series, if not before then with him finishing it?
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/09/2010 06:24 PM CDT
<<Do you have any idea how hard I had to resist the urge to rip into the book on the 1st when it showed up on my doorstep?>>

Slightly less hard than you have to resist the urge to rip into the general population of the Bard guild?
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/09/2010 07:18 PM CDT
>>Slightly less hard than you have to resist the urge to rip into the general population of the Bard guild?

Well played.

>>Have you read the WoT series, if not before then with him finishing it?

Three times actually, with the exception of Knife of Dreams (four times) and The Gathering Storm which I've only read twice.

I actually found out about Sanderson through him picking up The Wheel of Time, so I picked up his earlier works, became a huge fan of the Mistborn trilogy, and have followed him closely since about the time Hero of Ages came out.

Note: That's not terribly unusual for me. I keep a small personal library of books I really enjoy for lending (As opposed to just getting them from the library and/or selling them back to Powell's) meaning I've read basically every book in that collection twice, if not three times.

-Raesh
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/09/2010 08:38 PM CDT
>>Three times actually, with the exception of Knife of Dreams (four times) and The Gathering Storm which I've only read twice.

Raesh- I've only been following the forums for a couple months. However, from what I've read it seems that you spend your time either a) coding or b) reading. I can only surmise, then, that you're hooked up to a feeding tube to deal with the minor annoyances of eating and drinking and are in talks with the mad scientist who created Armifer and Z to integrate your consciousness directly into the internet.

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/09/2010 09:06 PM CDT
You missed sleeping (rarely), playing an assortment of video games/board games, and wasting an absurd amount of time putzing around the internet and watching random shows on USA.

Oh, and occasionally dropping mammoths on people.

-Raesh
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/10/2010 02:46 AM CDT
>Oh, and occasionally dropping mammoths on people.

I miss Muddy. (ask GM Alvy)

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/10/2010 08:16 AM CDT
>>You missed sleeping (rarely), playing an assortment of video games/board games, and wasting an absurd amount of time putzing around the internet and watching random shows on USA.

You are aware that there are other corporeal people outside your door, right? You might want to say Hi sometime. :-p

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/10/2010 02:21 PM CDT
That's what the board games are for!

-Raesh
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/10/2010 03:59 PM CDT
Ahaha, I automatically assumed you meant virtual board games.

Re: Bards In Fiction 09/10/2010 05:36 PM CDT
>>I'm going to need to develop a drinking game for these forums I can tell. -Raesh

Perhaps he did!

Gosh, I have no idea why you think that the person you told "I'm going to kill you over and over for that when I get back up" continues to make your life miserable. - DR-Wiking
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/11/2010 11:30 AM CDT
>> Ahaha, I automatically assumed you meant virtual board games.

You also assumed he was corporeal. I'm not so sure.

- Useff
Re: Bards In Fiction 09/11/2010 03:12 PM CDT
>>and are in talks with the mad scientist who created Armifer and Z to integrate your consciousness directly into the internet.

It won't be long.

Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page