You have questions? I might have answers. 12/10/2014 08:14 PM CST
Doing some general housekeeping and I was wondering if there were any bard-related events you guys had questions about. What happened to Y? Why did X happen the way it did. Are there any plotlines or storylines that you feel didn't get wrapped up properly? Let me know!

Keep in mind, I can't answer everything -- either the reason isn't documented and I simply don't know, (or remember, I am human) or I just CAN'T because GM.

~Evike
Re: You have questions? I might have answers. 12/11/2014 05:00 PM CST
As a recently returned player after a long (long) long hiatus...

Was there any in-game event that explains the change in how Bardic magic functions or is it basically a retcon where we woke up one morning and this is how it had always been?

Not to be read as a complaint about Bard magic, it's in a better place than it used to be, it just feels and looks a lot different lore-wise to me.

Also, dunno if this would be classified as "eventy" but...

Aesry Sentinels and the Bard guild therein?
Re: You have questions? I might have answers. 12/11/2014 05:11 PM CST
It was not Bard specific, but the broader magic changes and the invention of dispellation was covered in an event. It involved explosions.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: You have questions? I might have answers. 12/11/2014 06:07 PM CST
>Was there any in-game event that explains the change in how Bardic magic functions or is it basically a retcon where we woke up one morning and this is how it had always been?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Hand_of_Meraud

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: You have questions? I might have answers. 12/11/2014 07:25 PM CST
Since the other stuff has basically been answered
(Although, let's also remember bards have always used magic)

>Aesry Sentinels and the Bard guild therein?

A large project of GMs past, lo, and it was in a state of confusion and thus I say "So, thats a huge project and probably not something that we're in the scope of doing for the game at this time. Will there ever be Sentinels? Maybe. But they aren't on my plate personally as something I'm striving to get out. I'll be honest and say that I see it as a huge elephant, and if I released it, I find myself asking -- who would use it? We don't even have bards who use the Crossing Guild." So, there's that.

~Evike
Re: You have questions? I might have answers. 12/11/2014 08:23 PM CST
Sorry I missed the fireworks. Sounds like fun!

I get, and actually agree, that another guild hall isn't needed. Guild halls in general haven't seen much practical use in ages.

Aesry could always use more hunting. Perhaps if someone gets both the motivation and time to add some there they could use the Sentinels as hooks and theme the areas toward the Bard and Warrior Mage guilds that once inhabited them.

As I recall the Bard Sentinel is where Karovaas "obtained" the music box that released/summoned/bound/revealed (however you choose to look at it) the naga as part of the events leading up to explaining the first magic rewrite. Maybe it could be inhabited by corrupted naga, various elementals...or some thematically appropriate monster that all ready exists so new ones wouldn't need to be created.

Though given that there are a lot of under-utilized areas as it is maybe time would be better spent making those areas attractive instead of developing new ones.
Re: You have questions? I might have answers. 12/11/2014 09:03 PM CST
Good idea, noted for reference :)

~Evike