Teaching Nights Postponed 04/10/2011 11:15 AM CDT
Hey all!

I won't be able to hold the teaching nights for you again until some time in the distant future.

I had planned to inquire as to what sort of events you felt would be best tailored to bring the Bards in Elanthia together, and if you felt there was any reason to do so in today's day and age. More importantly, I'm curious if there is any desire for Bards to interact with other Bards.

With Heritage Houses such as Songsworn and Lorekeepers on the horizon, it only seemed logical to me that members of the Songsworn House would be familiar and align themselves with other members within the house. The same would hold true for those within the Lorekeeper House. In contrast Taleweavers, based on my interpretation, would be most akin to the wandering performing artist sort and likewise may not hold any allegiances to other members within that house.

Even in my absence I encourage you all to still meet and keep the bonds within our guild strong!

If any of you should need to contact me my AIM is Stigma21215.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/10/2011 11:57 AM CDT
Lately, I've been making a point of visiting various libraries in Therengia in order to read up on the history of the realms. I'm certain that I'm not the only Bard who travels around reading stories, but I think we need to make it more of a point to share them with other members of the guild.

Some really great stories in my opinion are: Farn's Company, Sithsia's creation of the Forest of Night, Dzree's origins (especially interesting considering the change of leadership with the DP's). Also, the various enchante journals are seriously awesome.

I think we'd be shocked at how little PC's know about the history of the realms. People are always intrigued when I share historical tales IG. Moreover, when these tales are told in an RP setting, it gives the storyteller room to embellish and shed some light on current events. So, that's just a thought.

Thanks,

- Araine
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/10/2011 09:26 PM CDT
<<I had planned to inquire as to what sort of events you felt would be best tailored to bring the Bards in Elanthia together, and if you felt there was any reason to do so in today's day and age. More importantly, I'm curious if there is any desire for Bards to interact with other Bards.
>>

The history of the guild was always highly social. Probably due to the nature of the guild opening, it was always a tightly-knit group, far more so than other guilds. I've been gone for a long while, and find the apparent seperation of bards to be a rather sad development. The Crossing guild was hardly ever empty, instead ringing with dozens of voices.

I'm curious to see if there's any discussion about this, and if bards truly don't feel any need to congregate nowadays.

~~Keia
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/12/2011 03:36 PM CDT
I agree with Keia. The guild in Crossing is a ghost town. I know back in the day the Bard GMs were trying to get us off our arses and out of the guildhall, but now I wonder if that goal has been accomplished too much. I do see a lot of bards now congregating in the empath infirmary.

Therrilliar
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/13/2011 09:41 AM CDT
I suppose if enough of us old fogeys start haunting the guildhall again it'll start a trend. Or it'll drive all those whippersnappers away...
Well, as long as they stay off the lawn.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/14/2011 11:06 AM CDT
Getting us off our behinds is a good thing but I would have prefered it if the side effect wouldn't have been such empty guildhalls. I still try the crossing guildhall here and then (even though currently Siltoth is still making it a point to stand outside in front of Silvy's face when he goes there). It used to be a gathering place not only to bards but to others as well and I kind of miss it.

* Malik was just struck down!
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/14/2011 04:16 PM CDT
What about rotating gatherings at the different guildhalls? That way many of the Bards who travel can attend, and Bards who don't normally move around the Provinces that much can attend when in their area?
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/14/2011 05:23 PM CDT
Or maybe a Celps level Bard-only creature that resides below the wine cellar could be...discovered.

What!?

Just sayin'
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/14/2011 09:55 PM CDT
drink enough wine and you'll see all sorts of celps...

seriously though, it isn't only bards that don't gather in guildhalls anymore, that seems to be pretty much the case across the board.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/15/2011 05:32 PM CDT
I imagine that Haven and Crossing are easy-to-reach guilds for all the bards I constantly run into in Lang, and Muspar'i wouldn't be too bad from there either - certainly worth the trip for a nice gathering. I wish I'd get to Shard and Hib more often... gatherings there would be neat, especially if there was finally a link from p2 to p5 (I thought I'd heard some discussion about this at a river or near some mountains; it seems like my geography knowledge in-game is as bad as my geography knowledge in real life.).
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/15/2011 10:42 PM CDT
In terms of geographic distance, the Rakash village (P2) and the Monastery (P5) are quite close. Imagine my surprise some time back to hear voices on the gweth and realize where they were coming from.

In IG lore, there is the Kwarlog Trade Route (or something like that) that linked Kwarlog in the Arncharn / Himineldar to Therengia.

Moon Mages who get hit with HULP should indulge in their Survival Secondary side and run away.

-Armifer
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/19/2011 09:59 PM CDT
I have been haunting Crosing...and it's been pretty lonely. Boo.

Hey, Shavay, come keep me company.

~~Keia
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/28/2011 03:36 PM CDT
Since reactivating my old Bard I've found the Crossing Guildhall to be a lot lonelier than I remembered it being. Is the Crossing just no longer the area to be in? I'm curious if most Bards are now at location X or if we're just so spread out it's hard to find a centralized meeting place. I find our requirements generalized enough that I don't think there are things that encourage us to congregate in certain areas.

~~
Lupdels
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/28/2011 04:10 PM CDT
The guards started enforcing vagrancy laws :/

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/28/2011 04:11 PM CDT
The thing that separates us the most is more than likely hunting ground. Back in the day I frequented the Crossings guild because I could easily run to rock trolls, reavers, ogres, cougars or whatever and then come back to the guild to play instruments. Now that there are so many more hunting options it's very easy to find the "perfect creature" that's right for you, and that creature may not be in the Crossings area.

I can't speak for others but I hunt Armadillos in M'riss. Dragon Priest Assassins in Ilithi piss me off because of their ridiculous hamstring attack which drops you prone and gives you 20+ seconds of RT and I'm not quite at Intercessor level yet. This is a prime example of me picking the "perfect creature" for myself at the sacrifice of location.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/28/2011 06:56 PM CDT
>The thing that separates us the most is more than likely hunting ground. Back in the day I frequented the Crossings guild because I could easily run to rock trolls, reavers, ogres, cougars or whatever and then come back to the guild to play instruments. Now that there are so many more hunting options it's very easy to find the "perfect creature" that's right for you, and that creature may not be in the Crossings area.

And I think our Guild also has greater variability in deciding what to hunt. I see complaints from others about the need for a steady ladder of two-legged urban critters to backstab, or something to skin, or something that drops boxes, or the undead.

I recently moved to the crocs outside of Throne City. Part of my choice of Throne City was the number of recalls in the area. I think it's nice to have some sort of central location for instruments and walking some recalls, but by my count there's a solid nine picks on that front (Crossing, Leth, Riverhaven, Therenborough, Muspar'i, Throne City, Ratha, and Aesry).

I'd be a little interested in there are many Bards outside of these areas.

~~
Lupdels
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed 04/28/2011 07:45 PM CDT
I know that there is a good chunk of Bards in the environs of Theren, Langenfirth, and Rossman's. I only moved there when I could hunt elder deer out towards Sikrjarkaknaa, but from what I understand there's a pretty good low-circle critter surplus as well. And I enjoy the others in the area around there quite a bit, so I've stayed there.

I do wish that there were more Bardic gathering type of events, though it seems that the ability to hunt across all of the provinces does likely mean that it's harder to easily come together. With advance notice, I'd certainly be up for coming to Bard-type events, though, wherever they may be.
Re: Teaching Nights Postponed *NUDGE* 04/28/2011 09:27 PM CDT
Start a new thread for this, please.

If you have any questions, please email either myself (DR-Sidatura@play.net) or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net).

Thanks,
Sidatura